+ Reply to Thread
    Denny

Yes | No

Great Smokey Mountains Info Needed

Hi guys, I hope I have the correct geographical board. I'm planning on taking a week off in the fall, coming from Chicago, and want to spend it with my wife and M3 in the Smokys. I need suggestions on where to stay; not to pricey. I would like to rent a cabin, if affordable, and would like reccomendations if any one has some. Also, any special roads not to be missed, or for that matter, any roads I should stay away from? I know I have a to make reservations asap due to the time of year. Any other suggestions of things to do would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Denny
    Windy City BMWCCA

Registered Member
    Member No: 63292 amtsutton is an unknown quantity at this point amtsutton's Avatar

Yes | No

I\'d say go to Boone, NC....

I visit there all the time, and lived there for a little while too. It is absoltely beautiful there, spring, summer, or fall. If you go in the fall, try and make it in leaf season, there'll be a lot of tourists around, but it is undenialbly gorgeous. If you go there, you should have lunch at Blackcat Burrito, and dinner at the Wildflower (shameless plugs). The owner of the Wildflower is a Bimmer fanatic, has some really cool cars, M535i, e30 ix touring, so cool...

There's a lot of hiking and stuff to do around there too, Grandfather Mountain is a good spot.

Anyways, I'm sure you'll take a drive on the Blueridge Parkway, and since it'll be packed with slow-driving Floridians, you'll want to take a few side-trips. THE all-time, best road I've ever driven is highway... aw crap, I think I forgot, either 182, 192, 184, or 194. I goes from Valle Crucis to Banner Elk (all in the general Boone area). SO MUCH FUN, seldom are there other cars, you'll love it, I hope your wife likes spirited driving and LOTS and LOTS of curves.

Around Banner Elk, there are the ski areas, where you can surely get a cabin. Give this link a shot, it has tourist info and stuff that'll probably be more of a help than me.

Mountain Times

Can you tell that I'm just itching to go back for my next visit?

Mike Sutton
    1986 635CSi
    Athens, GA

'64 Ford Country Sedan

Registered Member
    Member No: 63292 amtsutton is an unknown quantity at this point amtsutton's Avatar

Yes | No

Highway 194 is the one I was thinking of.

Mike Sutton
    1986 635CSi
    Athens, GA

'64 Ford Country Sedan

Registered Member
    Member No: 90128 Socom is an unknown quantity at this point Socom's Avatar

Yes | No

I concur.

Growing up in W. NC the boone area will be least crowded. Although a return trip through via the curvy I-40 might be fun as well.03' ZHP , Sapphire Black, Black Leather, Xeons , Moonroof

Denny

Yes | No

Thanks for all the info guys!

Denny

Yes | No

When to go- Week of Oct 4th or Oct 18th?

Registered Member

Yes | No

To be safe, I\'d say the week of Oct 4th (m)

Its kinda hard to say exactly when the peak of the color season will be. Once it hits, it goes quick. So to be safe, I'd say go the week of the 4th. That just kinda saves you from the possibility of missing it all by going a little later. I know I went up there late-mid Oct last year and the colors were pretty much all gone.

Besides, if you're going to be down for a week, it'll probably just get better the whole time.

Check out Asheville too, I think the Blueride Parkway might connect it with Boone (maybe), that would probably be another good spot to check out while youre in the area.

Have fun!

Mike Sutton
    1986 635CSi
    Athens, GA

'64 Ford Country Sedan

Denny

Yes | No

Thanks Mike!

Jim Pollman

Yes | No

Re: I\'d say go to Boone, NC....

In response and reference to Mikes86:

Boone is a "college town" with the commercial trappings... i.e. Walmart, Lowe's, heavy traffic.

Within a stone's throw is Blowing Rock. Very charming, a lttle "touristy". Mike is right, I believe 194 will take you through Valle Crucis (very charming valley community) to Banner Elk, Beech Mountain and very close to Grandfather Mountain. 194 is commically twisty, windy and "backwoods". Fantastic drive for seeing the real mountains. You've gotta drive the parkway to the Linville Viaduct, then south to Linville Falls (about 15 miles).

I've lived here for 14 months (5 miles north of Linville Falls, on the parkway). Nothing yet compares to this area outside of Mount Mitchell.

Jim

Jim Pollman

Yes | No

Re: Highway 194 is the one I was thinking of.

If you love to drive. Take 181 from Morganton for 25 miles to Jonas Ridge, Burke County. Almost no traffic, except weekends. 2,500 ft. very conditioned mountain trek.

Jim

Registered Member
    Member No: 92682 Filehorse will become famous soon enough Filehorse's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Great Smokey Mountains Info Needed

http://www.dealsgap.com/index2.php

http://www.gapmiatas.com/

Denny,

Don't know what part of the Smokey's you are headed to but if you have the time, I encourage you to go to Maryville (near Knoxville) and pick up Highway 129 and drive to Fontana Dam. There is an 11-mile stretch of road known - affectionately - as The Dragon's Tail. There are some 318 curves in an 11-mile section of excellent mountain road. It's a biker's mecca but also a destination for the sports car crowd as well. Your M3 would appreciate the opportunity to drive that road. The views at the top alone are worth the drive. Fontana Village is a small resort area there but I'm not going to recommend you stay there. It's OK but that's about it. The drive however, is worth the trip. Fontana Dam is the highest dam east of the Rockies and is one large chunk of concrete. And, once you get to the top,drive around and do the scenery thing, you get to drive back down...!!!

Enjoy your trip.

Filehorse
    Knoxviille

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information