+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    apex003

Yes | No

Anyone from North Carolina please weigh in...

Hello all,
    I'm considering a move to NC (Durham area) from California for a new job, and I'd like to buy a 98 m3/4 as my primary vehicle once I find one that fits the bill. I have a couple general questions for anyone who's in the area:

1) Whom do you go to to have your service and maintenance done? Is there a good (read reasonably priced, knowlegable, and truthful) local shop/dealer that is particularly well suited to working on these models and giving sound advice?

2) I'm not too familiar with the weather conditions throughout the year. Is it even practical to think I can run an m3 year-round; particularly in the winter months?

3) Can I expect to pay more/less in the NC area for an m3 than here in Cali; or would it be better to find one here and ship her over?

5) Any general suggestions for a newbie to NC, to this board, to m3's, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help...

apex003

Yes | No

anyone...? anyone...? Bueller...?

Registered Member
    Member No: 91738 21-278 is an unknown quantity at this point 21-278's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Anyone from North Carolina please weigh in...

1. There are several good mechanics in the area. I use Truett Ray at Shadetree Garage. He has experience with M cars and is a great guy. Johnson and Johnson in the area is also very good, there are others as well. In Greensboro, an hour away, is Kormann if you need very high end work.
    2. This winter was worse than usual. Usually 5-6 days per winter with snow/ice on the roads. I don't drive my m6 much in the winter because I have other options.
    3. don't know. I expect they would be cheaper here. May want to try autotrader etc. and see.
    5. Join the Tar Heel BMWCCA chapter

Good Luck
    Brian

Registered Member
    Member No: 62489 Scott-M is an unknown quantity at this point Scott-M's Avatar

Yes | No

Greeting from NC

I'm in Greensboro -Durham is about 70 mile to the east.

I haven't had any work done by anyone out there but I've heard really good things about a guy named Truett Ray of Shade Tree Garage. You might want to go to www.tarheelbmwcca.org and see what you can find out there.

As for the weather - I've lived here for 14+ years and the winters are always different. It's rare that the roads are bad for more than a few days. This past winter has been one of the roughest with 6-7 days of "icy" conditions. And that's spread out over the whole winter.

#3 I don't know what to tell you. You might try looking at AutoTrader.com and enter in a NC zip code? 27705 is a Durham zip ...I think?

Join the local CCA and take that M to VIR when you get the chance.

Good Luck!

2000 Imola Red (s52) ///M Coupe
    HMS strut brace // UUC TME (red) // UUC SSK with RK4 // Conforti Cold Air Intake // Conforti Shark Injector

Registered Member
    Member No: 62489 Scott-M is an unknown quantity at this point Scott-M's Avatar

Yes | No

I read this after my post. Wow!?...

2000 Imola Red (s52) ///M Coupe
    HMS strut brace // UUC TME (red) // UUC SSK with RK4 // Conforti Cold Air Intake // Conforti Shark Injector

Bob

Yes | No

I agree with this...... You will love VIR!!
    Bob
    www.oftenlastracing.com

Registered Member
    Member No: 103158 drummertom is an unknown quantity at this point drummertom's Avatar

Yes | No

HI! I hope all of your questions were answered. I agree with what is said about Truett Ray. He is probably one of the best BMW guys around. As far as a price, I really think it would be cheaper to buy one here. Truett may be able to help you as far as pricing and availability also! Hope this helps!

slamminsammy

Yes | No

Re: anyone...? anyone...? Bueller...?

i can give you some tips on where to look on the west side of durham, towards greensboro.

J-Sprit

Yes | No

I'm in Asheville.......

Scott Mc '89 325i

Yes | No

I'm from Upstate SC, that is almost NC...

dbbmwm3

Yes | No

Made the move from NJ to Raleigh a year ago...

- There are a bunch of great places to go for service. Shade Tree is located between Raleigh/Durham and I've heard great things about them. I take my E36 M3 to Dave Davis located in South Raleigh - he specializes in race prep. of M cars as well as Corvettes.
    - For a used M3, you might want to give Holland Hale a call at the Atlantic Auto Exchange in Durham - he's the one who recommended Dave Davis as my mechanic.
    - If you're into track days, Virginia International Raceway is only an hour north of Durham and it's a fantastic track.

Registered Member
    Member No: 109525 Jeff002 is an unknown quantity at this point Jeff002's Avatar

Yes | No

Don't forget about Korman and Carr Ind. in Greensboro.(nt)

RichB

Yes | No

I agree with all the info about Truett Ray. I know him and he is a great guy. My first suggestion when you get here is to join the BMWCCA and the NC chapter. Treutt and/or Gilbert Reynolds tel # 919 233 1593 can fill you in about the club. The club in Raleigh meet for supper each 3TH Thursday of the month at The Texas Steah House, 948 Airport Rd Morrisville. There are many other activities w/ the club that are listed each month in its magazine, FOOTNOTES". Hope to see you soon in NC. Rich Broughton

Bob Thomas

Yes | No

If you're going to be in or near Durham have your car service at Shade Tree Garage, it's about 15 mi. east of Durham & run by Truett RAy, who is activities director for Tarheel Chapter BMWCCA. In regards to weather, I drive my M3 year round but only on pretty days. There's usually a coouple or 3 snoww each winter & sometimes freezing rain. Let us know when you arrive. I live 80 mi East of Durham. I think you'll like the South except for the hot humid August weather.

Bob Thomas

Yes | No

You can ignore my previous post, it only confirms

the others

Registered Member
    Member No: 112812 Pontifex is an unknown quantity at this point Pontifex's Avatar

Yes | No

I didn't even know there was a Tarheel BMWCCA

However, I have only owned a BMW for a month.

JMB 98E38 Owner

Yes | No

Asheville is a great city!

I have a 98 740iL that I used to drive while assigned to an SAP project in Weaverville. (Sonopress) I was there for about 4 months and loved every second that I was there. I especially enjoyed driving the Blue Ridge Parkway and seeing the mountain views. Unbelievable! My friends and I used to hang out at Grove Park Inn, Magnolia's, and Vincenzo's. What a great time. I now live in Charlotte, and love it. But I still make a trip back over about every couple of months.

Take Care,

Mike Baskin
    98 E38 Owner

Registered Member
    Member No: 44044 rob_ace is an unknown quantity at this point rob_ace's Avatar

Yes | No

ashville truely sux

i ain't doggin' you or your opinion, but i've been there. my buddy lives on black mountain, and even being the racist hater that he is, he agreed that ashville just plain sux. i do like fayetteville tho. don't respond, i'm just babbling.
    BMW CCA#187148
    01 Vmax (Vmoa #1480)

Registered Member
    Member No: 119394 carolina_question is an unknown quantity at this point carolina_question's Avatar

Yes | No

My wife got into an accident while driving through Charlotte, NC with her 2000 Toyota Sienna. We need to find a great, reputable shop in Charlotte to repair it. Looking into the shops recommended by Progressive I found that they tend to have quite a few complaints on file with the Charlotte BBB. I would really like to have it repaired to the same standards I would want for my 95 325 Convertible.

Registered Member
    Member No: 13254 paweeky can only hope to improve paweeky's Avatar

Yes | No

Just bought a place in Columbus. I havent seen

many 5'ers yet. I have seen a few older 3's.Im just visiting so far but hope to move permanently when I can afford to. Anyone here from around that area? GOD BLESS AMERICA , FUUCK FRANCE :)P eter Debadged 01 Dinan 530 , GMC Sierra, Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa , Midnight Express 39 Superboat Fishing Machine , Citroen converted into redneck BBQ grill ,Juan Pablo Montoyas tricycle ,The original"Big Foot", Krauses lime green thong autographed on EBAY , and an old Space Shuttle.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information