+ Reply to Thread
    woody

Yes | No

04 4.4 Transmission Problems.......

There seem to be a number of 04 4.4 owners who are reporting transmission performance issues. What are the dealers or BMWNA saying about this? Is it an adjustment or a design flaw? Connected to X-drive maybe? Anybody know?

TIA.

RL

Yes | No

Re: 04 4.4 Transmission Problems.......

this is not only on 04 4.4 but also on 04 3.0.....just got my transmission replaced 2 weeks ago...and it's been fine so far...check with your dealer and inquire about replacing the tranny....

BMW

Yes | No

Maybe it's because some drivers abuse the steptronic trans. Just leave it at auto. Like the Car and Driver editor said, the X5 reachs its best speed at auto mode.

JCX5

Yes | No

nothing to do w/steptronic

The only thing steptronic can hurt is your fuel economy. The failures I have read about on the '04s are happening very early. Must be more of a design flaw.

Bad Email Address on File
    Member No: 102238 X5Rick is an unknown quantity at this point X5Rick's Avatar

Yes | No

BMW - let me put the "brakes" on your "abuse" theory real quick - and this is not a CYA warranty response. The issues with our new '04 X5 have NOTHING to do with any type of abuse. To the point - I had to go into manual mode with the Steptronic to safely cross busy roads due to the failures I commented on. I am a zealot when it comes to the break in period - no kick downs, nothing above 4500 rpms, varied speeds / rpms, light to medium loads only. I believe the Steptronic in manual mode simply activates a solenoid that shifts into the next gear +/-. In auto mode, a software program controls gear selection based on many factors. I suspect that some of the factors ( throttle position, rpm, current gear, speed, load, temperature, ??? ) are not being properly considered by the algorithms - thus what a number of us are experiencing.

In our case there is NO ABUSE - there is a flaw that needs to be fixed.

Registered Member
    Member No: 103164 GeezTech is an unknown quantity at this point GeezTech's Avatar

Yes | No

Only the 3.0\'s have a trans problem

Maybe post that question on the 745 board since you now have the same engine as a 745. It is probably just the engine valvetronic system, it is fifferent than a standard throttle system. Some 745 people notice the same thing and it is normal, you will get used to it once you get more familiar with it. No warning light, no major problem, your good.

"Note: Anytime I post I am only talking about USA cars unless otherwise noted. So please don't hammer me on some stupid European detail that wasn't supposed to be here in the first place."

Joel

Yes | No

throttle response problems???

Are you guys having any throttle response problems. Mine has about 1" of play. My transmission was replaced, but the throttle response problem is a different issure. BMWNA told me that there is a software reprograming coming.

Cruznbmw

Yes | No

04 4.4 bumpy shifting while cold in reverse,also now going foward,sometimes trouble finding a shift point,high rev pulling out on the high way.quirky shifting,can't always keep in sport mode to overcome this. Already spent 5 days in shop to reprogram module from bmw because of service engine soon warning. Rear hatch sounds like creaking every time pulling out of a slight incline shop not able to duplicate. I still love my x5 and hope problems are not serious!

Joel

Yes | No

Hatch problems...........

Just spray the rubber stops and seals around the hatch with WD40 and you creaks will go away

Registered Member
    Member No: 15919 Ginger is an unknown quantity at this point Ginger's Avatar

Yes | No

I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.

Registered Member
    Member No: 104613 business_advisory is an unknown quantity at this point business_advisory's Avatar

Yes | No

Dear BMW NA Customer Relations,

Any suggestions for people who is not an owner but may want to get a 2004 X5 4.4i with the transmission issue - if encountered? So that we can easily identify the problem and not go 15 rounds and thousands of rounds of grief with all stakeholders ... consumer, dealer, BMW?

Thanks.------
    Roger
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Buying a 2004 BMW X5 4.4i ... really soon
    My web site: http://www.angelfire.com/bc/rogerting/Strategy.htm

X5Coolness

Yes | No

Re: throttle response problems???

My 4.4 '04 does not have any throttle play but it does have transmission issues. I believe the software controlling shifts is defective (bugs) because it often cannot make its mind up as to what gear to be in. It also sometimes revs round to 6000 RPM in first gear if I pull away in sport mode from standing start at very light throttle. I would expect the revs to go to maximum if I had floored the throttle but not with feather light touch on the pedal. Of course, this is intermittent and never happens when good old dealer tech test drives it. Dealer also says new software is coming in April or May.

I noticed yesterday that my wife's new 325xiT has the other common tranny problem. Shift from reverse to drive and there is a 10 second delay before any torque is at the wheels - meanwhile engine is just free reving.

All pretty sad if you ask me. I worked for 13 years for Porsche AG in Europe and sure, we also had quality problems but I don't think they were quite so frequent..

Registered Member
    Member No: 96083 craigje2 is an unknown quantity at this point craigje2's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: throttle response problems???

Are they talking about new DME software to fix the problem or
    something else?

TIA

Registered Member
    Member No: 178775 amtash is an unknown quantity at this point amtash's Avatar

Yes | No
    Save yourself time and money buy something reliable, my 2005 X5 transmission failed at 80k $7700 price tag on the repair.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 97.8.89.126

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information