+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 104422 dmastrop is an unknown quantity at this point dmastrop's Avatar

Yes | No

Window tinting

Does anyone have any first hand recommendations for good window tinters in the Bay Area (San Jose/Santa Clara)? I need to tint a mint Porsche 993 and a BMW 5 series, and i want a clean job.

Any recommendations much appreciated.

thx
    Dave

Registered Member
    Member No: 65479 ttsakai is an unknown quantity at this point ttsakai's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Window tinting

Dave,

I do not have first hand experience with this shop, but it has been recommended by other forums. California Auto Tint and Polish on Sunnyoaks in Campbell. I recently dropped by their shop because I may tint my wife's '03 530i. They are rather expensive but what is different about their window tinting process is that they REMOVE the four door windows, apply the tint in a "clean room" and then bake the film on before reinstalling the window on the car. Depending on the type of car, the rear windows may also be removed to install the tinting. On the BMW 5 Series cars they do remove the rear window. All of this extra work comes at a price. I was quoted $425 for all five windows. I you're still interested at that price point, I would suggest you stop by their shop and talk with the installers and they are also glad to show you cars that are a work in progress in their shop.

Usual disclaimer applies, I have no affiliation or interest in this business.Tracy
    San Jose, CA
    '00 540i6

Registered Member
    Member No: 101740 Cody21 is an unknown quantity at this point Cody21's Avatar

Yes | No

Beware ..

I read Tracy's response.

Buyer beware of these after-market tint products. I just had mine done - paid $500 for 5 windows and 2 small windows in the back. Frankly, I was disappointed. The place is called Total Eclipse in San Rafael - situated next to the Sonnen BMW dealership. "Highly recommended" by BMW. They've "been in business 10 years" ... blah blah blah.

What I got was a few tiny bubbles in various windws. Also, some small scratches in the plastic tint in various places. (mind you, not many, but enough that I was not 100% pleased.) Sloppy in my opinion for that amount of money. You should DEFINITELY check out their work with a fine eye for detail. From a distance, it does look great ... but when direct sunlight is coming through the window is when all imperfections start appearing.

I'm almost sorry I did this - at least at Total Eclipse. (Yea, they stress that it is "after market" application - read: It is expected to have imperfections.)

Good luck.

** 2003 325i - Premium & Sport **
    Grey Green Metallic

Keith

Yes | No

Re: Window tinting

Dave, take the short drive to Rocky Mountain Windowtint in Livermore and you "won't" be disapointed.
    Many members of our club have had there cars done there and
    Matt (owner/installer) is awesome.
    Ph # 925-373-2577

NO, I don't work for him, he did my 540 and "many" others that I've sent him.

Keith

Registered Member
    Member No: 70206 tomnoonnan is an unknown quantity at this point tomnoonnan's Avatar

Yes | No

or you could go really cheapo style

and tint them yourself. If you had the help of a friend and took your time, you could essentially do just as good a job as any shop on both cars for less than 80 bucks or so.

I did the windows on my mercedes and BMW 7 series myself, I got what i paid for though.

tom

Yes | No

Re: Window tinting----

This may be a little to north for you but I used Total Eclipse in SanRafael and was very pleased. It is the best tint work I've ever had done. I worked with Carl Tuinstra the general manager, he really knew his stuff. 415 459 4559
    Regards
    Tom

tom

Yes | No

Re: Beware --???

Cody, I'm surprized that you weren't happy with Total Eclipse. They did my 04 windows and there were a few tiny bubles but they were really pleasant about making it right. I worked with Carl Tuinstra the general manager and he was great to deal with. Did you go back and ask for the problems to be corrected?

Regards
    Tom

tom

Yes | No

Re: Window tinting--Caution!!

If you have the windows removed for tinting or anything by someone other than bmw they may use it as an excuse to exclude you from warrante service on the window mechanism. I had trouble with the windows on my 04 330 and the first thing out of the service mechanics mouth was that the window tinters took out your window so you have no warrante coverage and will have to pay $240.each to have them adjusted. It was not true but they will try. This was bmw of sf.
    Regards
    Tom

Cody

Yes | No

Yes . but ...

Yes, Carl is very accomodating at "fixing" issues. And in fact he did that for 1 of the windows .. however, the basic problem is that they use some kind of liquid that gets applied to the window to make the tint adhere to the glass. That liquid appears as "dirty" in certain sun lighting --- like at dawn and dusk. Looks like I have dirty windows. But of course I can't remove the "dirt" since it's trapped inside. There are imperfections (a few or more tiny "pits" or bubbles) on every one of my windows -- albeit small in most cases - but not insignificant (at that price!) My rear window had what looks like a large scratch that was either in the material - or they did it when they applied it. I'd be looing at 2-3 hours downtime to have that removed/replaced; and they just don't make it that convenient since I need a ride 15 miles to work in order to drop it off ... or (gawd) wait on it for 2-3 hours!

My $150 tint job on my 325e (back in 1996) was far superior to their work.

Cody

Yes | No

Respectively disagree ... (Total Eclipse)

My personal experience was that their work at Total Eclipse was garbage for $500 !.... just my experience ... (see details below)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information