+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 52069 spatters80 is an unknown quantity at this point spatters80's Avatar

Yes | No

ESS kit to E39

I have a 2003 530i and I'm thinking of eventually installing an ESS supercharger kit. I know a few people here have installed the ESS Supercharger Kit. I spoke to a BMW technician who told me that ESS kits should NOT be installed on BMW's because the software cannot be tuned adequately to prevent eventual engine burnout. He recommended Dinan stuff only. Is that true??? I know as a technician, he's SUPPOSED to tell me that, but it was just casual conversation over dinner and he seemed pretty knowledgeable.

Few questions:

1. What kinds of problems have people experienced with this kit (speak up 530i owners)?

2. Are there eventual problems I could foresee?
    (obviously, suspension, exhaust, intake and brake upgrades will be done)

3. How seamless is the install ?

4. Is it recommended to add this kit if there is only 91 octane available in my area ?

Thanks to anyone who responds to these questions.

sp530i

Registered Member
    Member No: 75805 Faisal_in_Laurel is an unknown quantity at this point Faisal_in_Laurel's Avatar

Yes | No

Can't really answer for a 530 but here are some

from a E31 perspective:

1. What kinds of problems have people experienced with this kit?

A. There is no available kit for E31 but the PD kit for the 540 worked after fabricating the mounting bracket to reposition. The windshield washer bottles had to be moved to a different location to allocate space for the S/C.

2. Are there eventual problems I could foresee?

A. You already touched on the obvious areas. On the E31 the pistons were changed to Wiseco.

3. How seamless is the install ?

A. Pretty streight forward except for the bracket part.

4. Is it recommended to add this kit if there is only 91 octane available in my area ?

A. Not sure about that one. Even before the SC the E31 used 92 octane because of the Dinan ECU.

One thing is that the ECU had to be taken out and sent to ESS for them to reprogram to be compatible with the S/C. It helps to mention the type of weather the car will run in. It really hot weather the Check engine light might come on if not programed correctly.

My 2 cents

Click to subscribe to DCMETRO_E31

Registered Member
    Member No: 75805 Faisal_in_Laurel is an unknown quantity at this point Faisal_in_Laurel's Avatar

Yes | No

Oh and here is a picture of JP54

Registered Member
    Member No: 15830 printrep is an unknown quantity at this point printrep's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: ESS kit to E39

Not sure what your mechanic means by eventual engine burnout but here are my thoughts. Both ESS and Dinan are using the same VortechSQ Supercharger Units for their current BMW applications. The hardware part of the install is not the issue with either company. The software part is the most critical. Both companies employ some very talented software techs that know the BMW code very well. The difference you will see between both companies is how well they tune their software. Proper software tuning of ignition curves, fuel ratios, etc should provide you with a seamless and powerful powerband. I really can't see how a tuner's software can cause the eventual burnout of an engine. I can only guess that maybe the tech you spoke to was referring to engine detonation. Detonation can cause engine failure BUT, the current generation of BMW OBDII has so many knocks sensors built in to it that if the software were bad, you would be throwing fault codes way before you could do engine damage. I have been running ESS software on my E53 4.6is which was their first one. Their original software was very good although it did initially throw a few faults (misfires). Subsequent software tweeks fixed that. Their software seems to be right on IMHO. I have no experience with the Dinan S/C software but I can only assume it is good as well. Just my thoughts.

BigBadBen

Yes | No

Re: ESS kit to E39 on my 2000 540iA Sport..

I know its not a 530 but I installed it myself, took about three days and off.

Most of ths issues I had were based around the manual that comes with the SC kit, it could have been explained a lot better IMO. I think ESS assumes a mechanic will do the installation.

Your BMW tech does not know what he is talking about. ESS has never had an engine failure or tranny failure with their SC offerings in the E39....let alone any other SC product. They only run 8 or 9 PSI of boost which is within spec's of your and my motor. Now if you boost it to 20 PSI then you are asking for trouble at some point.

ESS knows what they are doing....actually call ESS and speak to Asbjorn, Hans or Michael....they will NOT BS you....these guys are car nuts!

Believe me if they made a product that blow up engines and transmissions you would soon hear about it on this forum and many others.

I intend to buy their stage 2 IC kit which is estimated to put out 450 total HP.

Asbjorn just sent me a pic of an M3 CSL which puts out 500HP, it will be in the Euro/NA mags soon.

I look at Dinan and the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and look at ESS for half the price and just the same performance...your choice my friend.

If you need any other info...e-mail me.

Cheers,

Ben

BigBadBen

Yes | No

Here is a pic BTW

Registered Member
    Member No: 52069 spatters80 is an unknown quantity at this point spatters80's Avatar

Yes | No

What about smog testing and emissions in CA???

More questions:

Do ESS supercharged Bimmers pass smog/emissions tests? California is a tough state to pass in.

What about clutch modifications ?

The 530i supercharger does not include an intercooler. Is that going to be a problem down the road ?

Thanks,

sp530i

Registered Member
    Member No: 15830 printrep is an unknown quantity at this point printrep's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: What about smog testing and emissions in CA???

If i'm not mistaken, on a new vehicle smog is not required for five years. After that the once every two years. You'll have to ask ESS if their kit is CARB certified. As I understand it, they are in the process of getting most of their kits certified. Regarding the intercooler.....well, in a best case scenario and IC would be great! It would allow you to keep a constant cool charge of air intake thus being able to run a little higher boost and thus more horsepower. Without one the S/C will run fine but at a lower boost. Also, during warm summer months you will get the effects of heat soak. As the outside temperature increase your horsepower decreases. ESS has a formula for estimating this. For example, my X5 4.6is puts out a factory 340 HP. ESS claims at 70 degress outside temperature the unit will produce around 450 HP. At 95 degrees outside, the horsepower can decrease to 390 HP. So, in short, an IC would be nice.

Registered Member
    Member No: 90128 Socom is an unknown quantity at this point Socom's Avatar

Yes | No

What about upgrades to the clutch?

03' ZHP , Sapphire Black, Black Leather, Xenons , Moonroof

Coop

Yes | No

There are not too many 530i that are blown. Most are 540i and ALOT of 3 series that are forced induced. I have about 20k miles on my ESS setrup, and everything seems to be fine. Make sure you get a OBD2 code reader and CEL code clearer.

The car puts down 265 hp at the wheels. I made an air/water intercooler and it adds about 30-40 hp depending on the ambient temp. Summer time will see that drop considerably. I also have an Aquamist water/alcohol injection system so that pre-detonation does not do major damage.

I love the way the car handles and now it is a somewhat serious sleeper. See my website:

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=170265&ck=

Registered Member

Yes | No

Coop,

Sounds great!!! Why only 265 rwhp when the published hp on the ESS site is around 335?

BTW, how difficult is it to add on the intercooler (can any independant BMW mechanic do it?) and what sort of damage are you trying to prevent (you mentioned it in your webpage)??

I'm trying to minimize risk/harm to my engine.

Thanks,

sp530i

BigBadBen

Yes | No

Re: 335 at the crank, 265 at the rear wheels.

Coop

Yes | No

Intercooler not difficult, challenging.

Must be custom fabricated. Other than the RMS AWIC, I have not found a company who offers one for a blown 530i setup. So I made it myself, and I am a dentist, so I am sure a mech could fab it, but at a price.

A cooler charge from the IC will reduce pre-detonation and knock, in addition to giving more hp. The increased charge density will also require more fuel to prevent a lean condition. That is best prevented by the fuel maps programmed in the ECU, or larger injectors.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information