+ Reply to Thread
    Jeffrey McCormick

Yes | No

For Sale: 73 BMW 2002 Tii

Original owner wants to sell 1973 Turkis BMW 2002 Tii to an enthusiast; new engine, interior and much more. Serious E-Mail inquiries only.

Mac

Yes | No

Buy this car NOW!.......

I know NOTHING about this car, but when the seller finds out that fewer than 1400 '73s were sold in the US, the price will jump.

Brian C

Yes | No

Actually there were more.....

I know NOTHING about this car, but when the seller finds out that fewer than 1400 '73s were sold in the US, the price will jump.

According to Macartney's book there were a total of 7,449 tii's made for the USA from 71-74;
    2,927 of them were mod 74
    Brian C

Mac

Yes | No

You don't believe.......

everything you read in the newspapers is correct do you? Why would books be any different?
    You're assuming that all cars PRODUCED for the US were SOLD in the US. It's wrong to make that leap of faith.
    Trust me.

WH

Yes | No

Re: You don't believe.......

everything you read in the newspapers is correct do you? Why would books be any different?
    You're assuming that all cars PRODUCED for the US were SOLD in the US. It's wrong to make that leap of faith.
    Trust me.

Then were were they sold? Costa Rica?

Does it really matter THAT much? 1400 or 3000 cars sold? Either way there are still enough 73 tii's out there that I can still easily find ONE.

Now finding a real ti (or a CSL) is a little harder.....

WH

1954 Austin Healey 100-4 BN1 (one of 10,500 made)
    1956 Austin Healey 100-4 BN2 (one of roughly 4200 made)
    1960 Austin Mini (who knows how many where imported -- but not many in 1960)
    1965 MG Midget (one of 1000's that where built)
    1968 MGC GT (one of 1800 sold in the US in 1968 & 69', 5000 worldwide --only 450 sold in US in 1968)
    1968 Lotus 7 III (one of 350 worldwide)
    1967 1600 (euro car)
    1968 2002 (US car --one of 3000 sold in US??)
    1979 Alpina B7 (one of 149 built)
    1981 Alpina B7 (one of 149 built) --yes Virginia I own TWO of them!
    1981 M535i (one of 1404 built)
    1984 Audi quattro turbo coupe (one of 47 sold in the US in 1984)

If I can find these cars ... I can surely find a 73tii.

John W

Yes | No

Big deal

I bought a nicely running tii two years ago for $900. They are not that rare, especially for a car which is 28 years old.

Mac

Yes | No

limited sales in US....

Actually, you're not far off. bmw says "Puerto Rico, to Diplomats and MIO's(Members of International Organizations) and Military Personnel. These figures also include cars produced for Canada, since the specification was very similiar." There ya go.

Finding your 2002Ti shouldn't be much of a chore, they made 15,000 more of them than they sold '73Tii's in the US. The CSL should take about 20% more time to locate because they made about 200 less than the '73 Tii's.

Good hunting.

Mac.

WH

Yes | No

Re: limited sales in US....

Actually, you're not far off. bmw says "Puerto Rico, to Diplomats and MIO's(Members of International Organizations) and Military Personnel. These figures also include cars produced for Canada, since the specification was very similiar." There ya go.

Finding your 2002Ti shouldn't be much of a chore, they made 15,000 more of them than they sold '73Tii's in the US. The CSL should take about 20% more time to locate because they made about 200 less than the '73 Tii's.

Good hunting.

Mac.

Right and wrong...

Sure there were quite a few ti's sold (12,000 I thought), although NONE officially in the US. Most of the ones in Europe are either crushed now or rusted to death... I've seen some come down from Canada but usally they're trashed. It's pretty hard to find an original(non rusty) unmolested real ti. Importing from europe is viable, but hardly worth it for a $4000 car....

It's way easier to find a nice 73tii on the west coast... especially in California (where many of them where sold).

As for the CSL... way harder to find a good unrusted expample in the US that isn't expensive OR rusty. If I remmeber right there were about 1200 sold worldwide...... not just in the US. About 350 carburated ones and the rest injected. I kick myself for not buying that carburated one I looked at 7 years ago for $6K, it's now for sale for $20K.
    And to find a good batmobile?? wheren't there something like 200 total made?

Remember, you can actually hear CS's rust --one of the few cars (besides Fiats) that you can....

WH

vince

Yes | No

Re: limited sales in US....

Jumping in kind of late here...

tiis are easy to find here in California, but it's much harder to find a decent, original and unmolested one. They're easier to find throughout the rest of the country as well because they were usually bought by enthusiasts and better maintained than most 2002s. Too bad, for the sake of rarity, that so many of them, both '72s and '73s (which are very similar), still exist here in the US, where large numbers of them were marketed and sold.

tis are another matter. There are about 25-30 1600tis and 2002tis known to exist in North America. Probably less than 300 worldwide total, according to overseas contacts. Rarely does one show up at an event. The reasoning of them being sold in places where they were eventually crushed and/or rusted away is sound and very real. Plus, they weren't significently more expensive or exotic (like a turbo or cabrio), so many buyers didn't make efforts to preserve them.

CSLs are another story, and like 2002 cabrios, the few that exist are usually pretty visible.

vince

Good hunting.

Mac.

Right and wrong...

Sure there were quite a few ti's sold (12,000 I thought), although NONE officially in the US. Most of the ones in Europe are either crushed now or rusted to death... I've seen some come down from Canada but usally they're trashed. It's pretty hard to find an original(non rusty) unmolested real ti. Importing from europe is viable, but hardly worth it for a $4000 car....

It's way easier to find a nice 73tii on the west coast... especially in California (where many of them where sold).

As for the CSL... way harder to find a good unrusted expample in the US that isn't expensive OR rusty. If I remmeber right there were about 1200 sold worldwide...... not just in the US. About 350 carburated ones and the rest injected. I kick myself for not buying that carburated one I looked at 7 years ago for $6K, it's now for sale for $20K.
    And to find a good batmobile?? wheren't there something like 200 total made?

Remember, you can actually hear CS's rust --one of the few cars (besides Fiats) that you can....

WH

Registered Member
    Member No: 120465 S4Bloom is an unknown quantity at this point S4Bloom's Avatar

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    tiis are easy to find here in California, but it's much harder to find a decent, original and unmolested one.
    Totally agree! I am the second owner of mine, and have owned it for 19 years. I have EVERY service receipt for the car since it was delivered from the dealer. Kept OEM all it's life. And a totally documented restoration. The previous owner was as much a fanatic as I am about it's care and maintenance!

Mine is for sale now, but every time I walk by it in the garage I doubt my decision. May just change our mind.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 71.81.129.52

peter hinke

Yes | No

"73 2002 tii

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey McCormick View Post
    Original owner wants to sell 1973 Turkis BMW 2002 Tii to an enthusiast; new engine, interior and much more. Serious E-Mail inquiries only.
    Is your car still around? Not sure when this was posted..
    peter. Please call me if it is. 612.839.2886
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 75.73.12.64

Unregistered

Yes | No

BMW 2002 Tii

I am a vintage BMW collector. I am interested in your BMW 2002 Tii. Please send me photos and details ie restoration work completed?
    Has the car been parked a long time or driven regularily? Mileage? Body condition? Repainted- When? Body panels replaced?
    Engine and trans Matching #? Rebuilt? Interior condition? AC? Where is the car from? City/State?

Asking Price?

Please contact me by e-mail with info.

My Contact info:

Eckhart Schmitz
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 70.26.46.215

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 70.26.46.215

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information