+ Reply to Thread
    Zerome

Yes | No

Why No US Release

I'm confused...

What is the reasoning behind BMW not wanting to bring "The Only One" to the US. Do they think that there isn't a market for a four door hatch back or what?

I for one will gladly pay a little extra to own "The Ulimate Driving Machine" instead of getting a GTI or Mazda 3.

Please help me understand.

p.s And I'm not hatting on the GTI or Mazda 3 for I own a GTI VR6 right now... (just incase people think decide to flame me ;-)

Registered Member
    Member No: 99181 AGK is an unknown quantity at this point AGK's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Why No US Release

I've heard that they are thinking of bringing only the M1, what will be the 130 with a 6 cylinder engine, to the US.
    I don't know if this is true or not.

tg

Yes | No

Re: Why No US Release

The weak dollar reduces profits.
    They have to sell it lower than an e90,but production costs are nearly identical.
    Hatches sell in europe and everywhere else,but have a cheap econobox image in US.
    A model with a trunk may be popular in america,but in the main european markets a trunk sedan in the golf class is usually bought by the elderly(average buyer age for the Jetta in germany is 55).
    A trunk coupe won´t help,cute impractical microcoupes have a girly image,the car of choice for a modern young woman in europe is either
    an Alfa 147 or a black two door golf with BBS wheels.Even euro girlies won´t buy a trunk coupe.
    6 cylinders won´t help because a 6 banger is for enthusiasts(99% of all hatchbacks in europe are sold with 4cylinder engines,even 70% of all 3 er series in eu are sold with 4bangers.)
    there is no global market for a pocket hot rod,such a car would be definitly not entry level,cost a lot and very likely only cannibalize 3er sales.
    The only solution I see for the US market is a 2door hatch with a 4cylinder turbo engine(I mean a small 1.6 turbo which doesn´t make the sixes look old, the 1er will be the most agile and best handling bimmer anyway.)

Registered Member
    Member No: 24316 ckolsen is an unknown quantity at this point ckolsen's Avatar

Yes | No

Thank Bush for the weak dollar - BMW prices will

Chris
    '95 325i

tg

Yes | No

the problem is not so much the weak dollar....

or bush by the way.
    production costs are not much lower,and if you put an i6 in and/or offer an individual body option exclusively for a reduced market(US is just 25 % of their business+weak $)you have a pricing problem.Those who want a pocket hot rod are a minority,and if they´re already 3er owners and want a cheaper or more powerfull e46 alternative the e81 will really kill US profits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information