+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 24316 ckolsen is an unknown quantity at this point ckolsen's Avatar

Yes | No

I\'m sold, gonna buy a 2 series next year! (more)

After reading Automobile's article on the 2/M2, I'm sold - 2 series is gonna be my next car. 1 series interior looks decent, and if I like the 1 5 door, I'm sure I'll like the 2 door. I don't care what engine is in it - I'm sure it'll be powerful.
    M3 is too expensive, 330 ZHP is too soft (and too expensive) - so the 2 is perfect for me.Chris
    '95 325i

altschuleM3

Yes | No

Re: I\'m sold, gonna buy a 2 series next year! (more)

I agree. As an enthusiast I am usually cold to the new cars. Enthusiasts seem to want more of what they love about the old car and reject change, and that is what I normally do. But this 2 series seems to be bridging the gap between BMW's new direction and the origional philosophy of the 1980s BMWs. So I will embrace this new model fully and accept all the new and appreciate the old. I am so excited for the M2. I fully plan on buying this car shortly after it comes out. I am hoping that it will be the closest thing to the E30 M3 that BMW has made since. Do they dare put a screaming 4 cylinder in it? I wonder what the S14 could do with a little update. We can dream can't we? Bring on the M2, and don't screw it up, please. :)

vintage

Yes | No

Hope some good 4 Cylinder options w/ 2 series

TC 325ci

Yes | No

i am waiting for the M2 too.

Hopefully, BMW can keep the car below 3000 lbs. I mean like around 2700-2800 lbs. Current 3 series are a little bit overweight!!

TC

Registered Member

Yes | No

The weak dollar may doom our plans though.

Chris
    '95 325i

andm99

Yes | No

What are people missing here?

BMW wouldn't mareket to US consumers in the first place thru email and online adverts and games if they weren't going bring it here? That'd be nuts. As for price, they can't price it high, they just can't regardless of the value of the dollar. If they price the 3er or the 1er much higher then they'll lose out to the competition on strictly price alone. People need to stop worrying and read the fine print. BMW is bringing the 1 and 2 here just not in hatchback form period.

EdP

Yes | No

The expensive Euro is not yet a problem.

The expensive Euro is not yet a problem. BMW has somekind of fixed dollar/euro rate agreement with a bank until 2006. I think the ONE will not make it in US. A small family car in the premium segment is hard to sell....But sporty TWO coupe will.

EdP

Registered Member

Yes | No

BMW\'s hedge fund ends in 2005 (more)

Basically they are insulated from the exchange rate by hedging (selling dollars or euros at a predetermined rate) - but that all runs out in 2005, and after that, BMW will be at the mercy of the strong euro, which is up 50% against the dollar since '98 I think. This means a lower profit margin car like the 1/2 series may not be worth selling in the US. All of this depends on how the dollar does over the next two years, if it continues to weaken, the 2 series may never come, and the 3 series could go up 20% in price.Chris
    '95 325i

Chadder007

Yes | No

Re: I'm sold, gonna buy a 2 series next year! (more)

Next Year???? Dude, it will come out late 2006.... Late 2007 for the M2. :(

jo2k

Yes | No

Re: Hope some good 4 Cylinder options w/ 2 series

they say a 300hp inline 6 for M2, didn't they?

Happydiver

Yes | No

Re: Yeah 300HP inline 6 is what I've heard

hmmmm, the E36 M3 in Europe had a 300HP inline 6. You think maybe???

The M2 is what I am waiting for as well.

Regards,
    HD

2001 540iA (Dinan 5)
    1995 M3 (retired)

Lars

Yes | No

I wonder if that is why BMW is talking about.....

expanding the Spartanburg plant, could they be gearing up for 2-series production? Of course the expansion has to be approved first, but they said that could come this year and the expansion done by mid to late 06 with production starting soon after.

Can't think of any other car that they would be considering building there, unless if was the M1 (which won't be an M version of the 1-series). Of course I've heard talk about a Z2 also, so who knows. But yes the 2-series is one I've been waiting for for over 8 years now, I should probably start saving now.

Mpire

Yes | No

Re: I'm sold, gonna buy a 2 series next year! (more)

Ha!

If you want a car close to the E30 M3 then get an M coupe. Its the same suspension front and rear. It just has lots more power.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information