+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 9573 alexargyros is an unknown quantity at this point alexargyros's Avatar

Yes | No

Question to all you gents with superchargers (m)

I would like to know if the Vortech supercharger noise is unpleasant. I have been told by two people that the Vortech blower
    sounds like the clattering of tin cans at idle. I have not heard too
    many complaints on the noise while under part or full throttle. Since I plan to install a blower this summer, I am looking forward to something that will sound sonorous not raucous.

Thanks in advance.....

'97 540iA (Dinan 3.45LSD/engine & tranny software/strut bar/CAI/stage 2 suspension)

Coop

Yes | No

Re: Question to all you gents with superchargers (m)

Mine is defintely louder at idle, after 22,000 miles. Just above idle and under throttle, the noise is lovely!

D5SC

Yes | No

Re: Question to all you gents with superchargers (m)

Hi Alex,

I have Dinan's S/C package (Vortech V-2 SQ) on my '01 540ia. The S/C is pretty quiet at idle (in out and of the cabin) with a slight turbine-like whine. The S/C whine definitely does get louder at WOT but it is definitely ear pleasing IMO especially when coupled with an aftermarket exhaust--I have Dinan's BTW. I have also received compliments and surprised stares from others on the S/C/exhaust note.

I also heard an ESS V-2 SQ set up on 530i and it was pretty quiet too at least in terms of the S/C noise. Although not the same, I have heard VietSB's car in person with the ESS Powerdyne unit and it is extremely quiet almost deceptive. It sounds really nice though at full throttle especially with the Supersprint exhaust.

Perhaps the older version of Vortech S/C was noisier, but the new version is nothing like what others have described to you. Good luck and have fun...

Hope this helps a little...

P.S. How do you like the 3.45 diff? I was at Dinan's Mountain View facility on Monday and Jeff Hecox was tempting me with one :P... Sounds like a great mod...
    My car is on the very bottom...

Registered Member
    Member No: 9573 alexargyros is an unknown quantity at this point alexargyros's Avatar

Yes | No

Thanks (m)

The 3.45 LSD made a difference. I have a '97 540iA and I had the 2.82 open diff. The car feels more agile and is more responsive. There seemed to be a "dead spot" with the 2.82. Now it's completely gone....

than mine like Jimmy's and DanB's (non-VANOS) :P
    Member No: than mine like Jimmy's and DanB's (non-VANOS) :P's Avatar

Yes | No

You're welcome and your car will make more power

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information