+ Reply to Thread
    bimmerboy

Yes | No

Where and how much to smog check?

For my 2k 323ci?

D323i

Yes | No

Arco station for around $40

I think BMW dealers charge around $125-150 for smog test. Don't know why though! BTW, the Arco dealer had a difficult time getting a proper idle speed thru the OBD II port and had to place a meter on top of the engine block to read the rpms. This occurred at two different Arco stations.

Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 67284
    Inner Circle ©39 since: Mar 20, 2013 Viv is on a distinguished road Viv's Avatar

Yes | No

I have a problem with non/BMW peeps tinkering

When I owned the E34, I tried to get it smogged at 3 difference places before finding one that could actually do it. No way was I going to let them remove anything on my car. After that I took it to the dealer, which cost me about $65. The last time I had it smogged, I was required to go to a special test only smog station. Can't remember how much it cost, but it was more than the dealer's cost.
    Viv
    2003 530i Steel Blue Metallic /Gray leather
    AT/PP/SP/CWP/Xenon/Folding Rear Seats/Ultimate Cup Holders/Stongard Headlamp Covers/Stealth rear signal bulbs/50% tint/Saab trunk lid handle/BMWCCA Member/With a Pink Panther on the mirror/E34('91 525i) retired

[

Registered Member
    Member No: 95952 blakjak20 is an unknown quantity at this point blakjak20's Avatar

Yes | No

i\'m scared.... ->

my e28 hasn't been smogged since.... 1993
    hahaha i'm definitely going to get a pre-check
    i heard being slapped with the gross polluter thingy is no fun at all
    hmmmmmm looks like i'm gonna need to drop in more money to get it up to standard :(
    on a lighter note my head unit is herrrrrrrre
    o man 2 months with no music... how did i do it

88 528e Auto 135k
    Future projects: Head unit (Pioneer DEH-P860MP BEAUTIFUL), Speakers (MB Quart), Amp (Directed 500W 4 ch), Sub (15" RF), OBC Light Bar, Fog lights (One got chewed off... Any good cheap suggestions??)

Rick S.

Yes | No

Re: i\'m scared.... ->

How did you get away w/o getting your E28 smogged? Where you in Sonora or some place in the Sieras? Do the usual tuneup stuff including changing your oil. When was the last time you changed your o2 sensor? I would imagine since you have not had your car smogged you have not even checked it. Remember to clean your PVC hose (528e), check your gas cap and your dip stick. That's what I did for mine.
    When I bought a 535is from a donor lot a couple of months ago. I did pretty much the same thing except for the PCV hose. It failed the first time and then it turned out to be the CAT. I had the enhanced smog done in Burlingame for about $49.00 w/ certificate.

Good luck!

Brad

Yes | No

Re: Where and how much to smog check?

Smog N Go. I always get $10 off coupons from them in the mail. I've been there several times. They are fast and easy to deal with.

Beto 88 ///M5

Yes | No

Re: i'm scared.... ->

Ian,
    Make sure that your check engine light works.If not they will fail
    the car.AMHIK.I just have the smog 2 weeks ago.

Registered Member
    Member No: 95952 blakjak20 is an unknown quantity at this point blakjak20's Avatar

Yes | No

lol

hmmmmmm well we bought the car in 91
    when the presidio closed the DoD shipped my family to korea (SOUTH!!!)
    so basically the car was in korea between 1993 and 2004, from what i know korea doesn't require "smog" checks hahaha people normally don't keep their cars long enough... they tend to change cars once every 3 years or so
    well, i needed a car so they shipped it to me
    i'm pretty sure i'll need a smog check next year
    hmmmmm i'll keep those goodies in mind tho
    thanx ^^

88 528e Auto
    Finished Projects: Pioneer DEH-P860MP (WELL WORTH IT), Directed 500W 4-Channel Amp pushing a 15" RF Sub and all speakers.
    Future projects: Speakers (MB Quart), OBC Light Bar, Foglights (One got chewed off... Any good cheap suggestions??).

Ryan SF cabrio

Yes | No

just had mine smogged yesterday ... bavarian professionals in berkeley suggests only one place ... Smog Shop (1320B Gilman Street in berkeley ... 510.526.0327)... $65 clams ... remember the newly formulated gas in calif tends to make bmw's knock and consequently tend to fail the smog test ... walter uses the big fan directed towards the radiator and another trick or two to ensure positive results ... remember to have a good amount of gas in the tank for the test

'92 325iC m technic (pics at www.baye30.net under member name "ryan")

Rick S.

Yes | No

Re: lol

Another trick that will help is to make sure that they smog the car shortly after you bring it in so that it's nice and warm. If you can keep it running while you're waiting. I talked to a smog tech guy and he said sometimes cars do not pass just because the car has been sitting in the lot for a few hours.

Registered Member
    Member No: 56335 ibew595 is an unknown quantity at this point ibew595's Avatar

Yes | No

Smog-gross polluters

Last year I had a Mustang which had a vacum hose leaking. The car had always passed smog with flying colors and very low emissions. BANG, gross polluter, 10X what the limit was. For a leaky vaccum line which I fixed that smog ended up costing $110. Two seperate tests needed, original test which sent "gross polluter" to the state and test only to verify the car would pass smog.
    Keep the engine warmed up, change the oil and plugs if neccesary. If you are really worried about passing, then have them test it first without sending the info to the state. If it fails you may have to bring it to a test only station after it has been fixed.
    Mt. Hamilton,San Jose, CA.2003
    2000 740i Impala brown

I wish, I wish, I wish......
    My baby
    BMW Food for the soul
    Kevin Goto

e34

Yes | No

cheapest i found for my e34 - good service too..

http://oaklandmekanix.com

Registered Member
    Member No: 24397 Dyavalon is on a distinguished road Dyavalon's Avatar

Yes | No

Wait a minute... Cal CHARGES for Smog checks?

That doesn't seem right to me. I guess I better get used to being gouged for EVERYTHING. I can't believe it, I don't even live there yet, and I'm already complaining!?! :) In Indiana and Illinois the Smog check is a state run org and it's free. I guess I took that for granted. Darn.

Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 67284
    Inner Circle ©39 since: Mar 20, 2013 Viv is on a distinguished road Viv's Avatar

Yes | No

Welcome to CA! ;-)

Every two years you\'ll be smogging your car.
    Viv
    Sacramento, CA
    2003 530i Steel Blue Metallic /Gray leather
    AT/PP/SP/CWP/Xenon/Folding Rear Seats/Ultimate Cup Holders/Stongard Headlamp Covers/Stealth rear signal bulbs/50% tint/Saab trunk lid handle/BMWCCA Member/With a Pink Panther on the mirror/E34('91 525i) retired

[

m-coupe

Yes | No

mine came out as a test only, it's a 1998 m coupe. i took it one place on broadway and they failed it w/ Nox limits by couple of points, then took it to my mechanic (H. Beck BMW/Oakland) and he recommended some other guys, oakland test only smog center or something...near the lake. $69.95 all inclusive and it passed. later i checked online and they have a website offering 20 bucks coupon.... i am just glad it passed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information