+ Reply to Thread
    lovh

Yes | No

Porsche 911 engine numbers

Is there any way to know the engine type (capacity, HP, etc) by engine number? I suspect that a 911 T Targa I can buy is not equiped with its original engine.

Murph

Yes | No

Re: Porsche 911 engine numbers

It depends on what year you are looking at...the nubmers mean different things in different years. Typically the first 4 numbers are 911 (for 911) then a number that idicates the model year, then the next number indicates the engine type. Followed by a number that indicates the body type, followed by a 4-digit sequential serial number. For example, a 74 911 S targa would have a number like this:

911431xxxx where the xxxs are the sequential serial number.

This numbering changed in 1980, going to an Alpha character to indicate model year.

Anyway, if you can furnish the year of the car, I can tell you what the numbers on it mean. Also check the numbers from the chassis and the engine and see if they match.

lovh

Yes | No

Tank you very much for your reply.

In fact there are two models. The VIN number of one of them belongs to a 1969-70 911 T Targa: VIN 911011xxxx, but the engine seems to come from a 911 E or S because it has a mechanical injection system instead of carburetors. Engine number is *6311673*.

The second one is a 1975 911 S (VIN 911531xxxx), but it has electronic injection system. It seems that engine is a 930/10. The engine number is *6660456*.

Could you help me in determining the engine type and year?

Thank you very much

Murph

Yes | No

The first car's VIN indicates it is a '70 911 T, Targa and it came with a carburated engine. The number you gave me for the engine is the engine serial number (I think) not the type number. The type number is located on the horizontal surface to the right of the fan housing, behind the vertial surface where the engine serial number is located.

The Vin for the other car indicates it's a 75 "S" Targa, which came stock with a 2.7L with Bosch K-Jetronic fuel injection. The engine type for this car was 911/43 if it had a standard transmission and wasn't a california car, the calif. # is 911/44. Look in the same place, behind the fan housing (on the right) to see if you can find a VIN,this will identify the engine in your car. (I'm pretty sure)

Sorry I'm not being much help, I no longer have 911s in my garage that I can go out and look at, but if memory serves me right, that is the location of the engine's VIN.

lovh

Yes | No

Thank you very much. I will try to check the engine type number.

Best regards,

JCC
    LOVH

alex snijdewind

Yes | No

Can anyone help me on the 911 964 which belonges to the engine number 62P03534

Thanks,

Alex

Registered Member
    Member No: 3455 fryardds is an unknown quantity at this point fryardds's Avatar

Yes | No

The first motor listed (6311673) is from a '71 S. The type # is 911/02. It should also have a red fiberglass fan shroud. This is a very desirable and valuble motor. It is also a blast to drive when tuned properly.

The second engine is from a 3.0L Carrera. These motors are somewhat rare and the most desirable 3.0L Porsche engine. The type # for this motor should be 930/02, not 930/10. A 930/10 motor should have a serial # 631XXXX for '81, or 63CXXXX for '82, or 63DXXXX for '83.

lovh

Yes | No

Thank you for your help. As Murph wrote I found engine type in the place he described. I also bought Peter Morgan book “Original Porsche 911” to check data.
    The first one (1971 911 T Targa) is equiped with a 911/02 engine. Actually it seems to be a 1971 911 S engine (thanks to Brian).
    The engine of the 1975 911 S Targa has a 930/10 stamp. So, according to Peter Morgan it should be a 1982 911 SC engine. There may be a mistake in the engine number: instead a 666xxxx it should be a 66Cxxxx (sorry Brian; I probably gave an incorrect information).
    There are also many changes in external aspects. I check the main dimensions. Wheelbase is correct. But overall length, width and track (front and rear) do not correspond to original data.
    I published a small four side pictures for each one (please follow link). What do you think they look like? This is a kind of guess. I will say you which one is the dark purple and what the red.
    Nobody can doubt they look very nice ...

lovh

Yes | No

Sorry, link corected

lovh

Yes | No

Thank you for your help. As Murph wrote I found engine type in the place he described. I also bought Peter Morgan book “Original Porsche 911” to check data.
    The first one (1971 911 T Targa) is equiped with a 911/02 engine. Actually it seems to be a 1971 911 S engine (thanks to Brian).
    The engine of the 1975 911 S Targa has a 930/10 stamp. So, according to Peter Morgan it should be a 1982 911 SC engine. There may be a mistake in the engine number: instead a 666xxxx it should be a 66Cxxxx (sorry Brian; I probably gave an incorrect information).
    There are also many changes in external aspects. I check the main dimensions. Wheelbase is correct. But overall length, width and track (front and rear) do not correspond to original data.
    I published a small four side pictures for each one (please follow link). What do you think they look like? This is a kind of guess. I will say you which one is the dark purple and what the red.
    Nobody can doubt they look very nice ...

Four side view of Porsche 911 T Targa and 911 S Targa

John

Yes | No

I'm not sure what car belongs to that number Alex, but I know 62PO1467 is mine ! ;-)

Cheers, John.

guillaume

Yes | No

Hello,

I am interested in buying a '72 Porsche 911E Targa.

VIN Number seems to match : 9112210461

Could someone please help me by telling me if engine number #6135435 also matches ?

Many thanks in advance for your precious help !

Guillaume

Chip

Yes | No

I am interested in buying a 1972 911S with VIN 9112301576. Engine number 6231732. Can anyone point me to the right source to determine if this is a numbers-matching car?

Thanks

cESA

Yes | No

dougiep

Yes | No

i have 1971 911T. how can i check that the engine is the original that came with the car. i am not sure if i am looking in the right place for the engine number. i have found a small metal tag on the left hand carbs - 91110812300 and another number on top of the fan wheel - 901 106 101 5R. Are either of these the numbers i am looking for?

Phil

Yes | No

can someone decode this for me.

Engine # for a 1969 Porsche 911

Thanks

ramon gonzalez

Yes | No

9117200299 which is this

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information