+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 96604 XZ-Driver is an unknown quantity at this point XZ-Driver's Avatar

Yes | No

2003 E320 Hesitates bBefore Acceleration

A friend of mine just purchased a new left over 2003 E320. The car is beautiful. He has been complaining about the slight hesitation when trying to accelerate. He brought it to the dealer and they reset the computer that learns the driving habits ???. Anyway, I drover the car the other day and the problem is still there. For example, if you slow down to take a turn and then try to accelerate through the turn, there is a slight pause before the engine revs up. You can look at the tac and observe the pause. After the pause, you get the acceleration you are looking for. I think it is annoying and maybe even dangerious. Is this normal. I suggested that he continue to work with the dealer to fix the problem. But is there a problem to fix? I personally owned a 1997 E420 but had so many problems that my family did not want me to buy another MB. I love the new look and the car makes me forget all my past problems but if all the cars behave like my friends, I would have a problem going back.

GearHead

Yes | No

Re: 2003 E320 Hesitates bBefore Acceleration

Wow, a new left over '03 E320 at this timeframe Apr04. Maybe that car had problems and therefore set on the lot for so long.

I have 5 friends with 03 and 04 E320 and have not heard from anyone complaining hesitation with acceleration. My E500 is very responsive.

I think your friend needs to contact his dealership and perform a thorough diagnostic. GL

Registered Member
    Member No: 96604 XZ-Driver is an unknown quantity at this point XZ-Driver's Avatar

Yes | No

Thanks for the information. You might be correct about the reason it was left over. I agree that the dealer needs to resolve the problem. I just wasn't sure if it was normal for the new model.

GearHead

Yes | No

One way to figure how long the car set on the lot is
    1) look at the production month/yr - stamped on the plate where the driver door is
    2) look at the service manual, it should be signed by a service mgr of the original dealership where the car was first delivered.

With these 2 dates, you can gauge when the car was built, and when it was delivered and preped by the very first dealership.

At the end, it is the dealership's responsibility to fix this. If they do a lousy job, call MBUSA at Jersey to complain

GL

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thanks. I will pass the information along to my friend.

ryan

Yes | No

...my brother's 2004 e500 does the same thing.

GearHead

Yes | No

That's interesting.

I have my E for 5 months and have not noticed any hesitation. Mine is a 03 and I got mine back in November of last year.

While researching on other forums on this issue, I ran into the following service bulletins that may apply to this 'hesitation'.

P-B-07.00/28
    Lack of power full acceleration & mid range and hesitation caused by “two-footed” driver.

S-B-54.21/101
    Dealer performed ECM (engine control module) update in checking for software updates

P-B-07.00/28e
    Lack of power full acceleration and mid range and hesitation.

I'm not sure whether any of the above bulletin applies and you can bring this up with your dealership. I hope this helps .... GL

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information