+ Reply to Thread
    badman1126

Yes | No

Latest AutoBild Info: No 2 Series Coming

I posted this over on the E90, as it concerns that model as well, but I figured you guys would want to hear this also:

<a href="http://www.autobild.de/aktuell/neuheiten/artikel.php?artikel_id=6109&artikel_seite=0">Autob ild's latest article</a>
    claims that BMW has decided against splitting up the 1 series into 1 and 2 series. While the coupe is still coming, it will be called 1 series coupe, instead of 2 series. The M1 will definitely be available in coupe form, with a 2 door hatch being considered as well.

Here's the release schedule according to AutoBild:

Late 2004: M5
    mid-2005: M6
    Late 2006: M3
    Late 2007: M1

They go on to say that BMW is looking at reducing weight rather than having their NA engines crank out more and more HP, which they can't do endlessly. Turbos are apparently not being considered.

Finally, they confirm that the M1 will be powered by a 300HP inline 6.

Registered Member
    Member No: 24316 ckolsen is an unknown quantity at this point ckolsen's Avatar

Yes | No

Awesome news, all of it!!

Chris
    '95 325i

EdP

Yes | No

So if this is true, renaming the new Z3 into Z4 is

a typo?

EdP

badman1126

Yes | No

Re: So if this is true, renaming the new Z3 into Z4 is

At the time, I'm pretty sure BMW was gonna go with the new naming scheme. That aside, they also wanted to position the Z4 above the Z3, which makes sense considering it's an improvement in every respect (Z3 owners might disagree here heh).

I suppose we'll know in September if this report is true or not. The current naming scheme seems to have worked pretty well for 'em in any case.

Chadder007

Yes | No

Re: Latest AutoBild Info: No 2 Series Coming

Late 2007 ??? WAAAY Tooo long.

Lars

Yes | No

And what about the 5 and 6 series?

I think they will divide up the series with 4 doors being odds and 2 doors being evens.

Lars

badman1126

Yes | No

6 isn\'t a \"new\" model range

The 6 series has a lot of tradition as BMW's big coupe. The 4 and 2 series would be entirely new.. Not saying that this report is 100% most definitely accurate, but it's not exactly unlikely either.

The current system works for me and I don't see the need to do away with the '3' series convertible and coupe in favor of yet another model range. Not to mention that there's a big part of the M3 racing crowd that's not too happy about the whole 4 series / M4 thing. If it ain't broken...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information