+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 8387 johnfuston is an unknown quantity at this point johnfuston's Avatar

Yes | No

Twin turbo 850 project...

Have been keeping my twin turbo project under wraps recently. However, now that all of the bits and pieces have arrived, I thought I'd share with you my progress thus far...

- Disassembled top end of motor (intakes, valve covers, etc).
    - Disassembled valence pieces below and in front of radiator.
    - Removed stock exhaust system (engine to tailpipes).
    - Begun fabrication of stainless steel turbo exhaust manifolds.
    - Begun fabrication of intercooler brackets.
    - Completed fabrication of intercooler.
    - Received turbos and wastegates.

Lots left to do but things are progressing. Here's a pic of the pieces. Will post more pics of the car later as things progress. Rgds... -John

- John

BMWCCA #288391
    '92 850iA
    '00 R1100RT

Registered Member
    Member No: 8387 johnfuston is an unknown quantity at this point johnfuston's Avatar

Yes | No

Pics of intercooler mounted in the car...

The pics below show the intercooler from the top and from the bottom. I still need to fabricate brackets to secure it and hope to finish that bit soon. Rgds... - John

Pic taken from the top...

Pic taken from the bottom....

- John

BMWCCA #288391
    '92 850iA
    '00 R1100RT

Registered Member

Yes | No

Pic of my new wideband O2 controller...

Picked this up last week. Will interface the output from this to the datalogger in my piggyback Fuel/Timing controller. The O2 controller unit itself is from Innovate. They have just about the best unit on the market today. Should pay for itself in money saved from widband O2-logged dyno pulls.

- John

BMWCCA #288391
    '92 850iA
    '00 R1100RT

Registered Member
    Member No: 8262 revhigh is an unknown quantity at this point revhigh's Avatar

Yes | No

HELL YEAH! It\'s time to party!

E39 performance parts for sale

"By ignoring this revolution and avoiding the changes that are inevitable, you leave your future at risk."

Just a' good ole' boyz tune

The General's horn

Are you ready?
    last dyno sheet more to come N/A

Mark W.

Yes | No

looks good .... keep posting progress please

Registered Member

Yes | No

Update...

Thought I would share the activities of the past couple of days. Spent the weekend doing lots of small odds and ends to the motor. Among other things, I replaced the chain tensioner O-ring and installed new banjo bolts. For those that are wondering, all but two of mine were tight and of those, only one had backed out - - about 1.5 turns if I gauged it correctly.

I also got some "seat" time with the new wide band O2 controller that I picked up. Although I used it to dial in a friend's carbeurated 60's muscle car, the experience will be easily transferred to my 850 once it is up and running. Pretty neat unit as it gives real time Air/Fuel ratio and Lambda readings as you idle, accelerate, cruise, etc. Here's a pic in case I didn't post it earlier...

Spent part of Sunday and this evening finishing up the Stainless Steel exhaust manifolds - - readying them for the TIG welder. The pieces you see in front of the manifolds are the T3 turbo flanges, the wastegate flanges, and the oxygen sensor bungs. Those will be added at the appropriate time as things progress. Here's the pic of everything before being welded up...

Figured I'd also post a pic of the silicone hoses that arrived today. These will be used to connect all of the plumbing bits and pieces together. More silicone hoses to arrive later this week.

That's it for now. More updates later as things move forward. Rgds...
    - John

BMWCCA #288391
    '92 850iA
    '00 R1100RT

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information