+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered Member
    Member No: 106597 D_325ES is an unknown quantity at this point D_325ES's Avatar

Yes | No

Favorite Driving Routes?

So here's the question primarily for MA residents...
    What's your most favorite stretch of road to drive on just to get a smile on your face and get the adrenaline going?
    I love the Weston/ Sudbury parts of Rt. 117 and Rt. 20 and their interconnecting roads. Anyone else out there?

Registered Member
    Member No: 29070 jackbaggins is an unknown quantity at this point jackbaggins's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Favorite Driving Routes?

I love those roads. I work in Waltham on the Weston line and many a lunch break has been spent cruising down rt117 & 20 and back again.

85 535i
    90 325is

Registered Member
    Member No: 50416 YKK is an unknown quantity at this point YKK's Avatar

Yes | No

you too?

I love 117, but also my back way to work, from Wellesley on Wellesley and Weston Ave into Waltham.

BTW - i work on the Weston end of Waltham too!

Registered Member
    Member No: 50416 YKK is an unknown quantity at this point YKK's Avatar

Yes | No

also, storrow drive early in the morning

or late at night when there are no cars (and hopefully no cops) around.

Registered Member
    Member No: 72412 bob.knox is an unknown quantity at this point bob.knox's Avatar

Yes | No

Rt 119 west bound from Acton to State Park

The road is very popular with the sport bike crowd, so you know it's good. Gets real nice and twisty towards the end as it winds along a river in a State Park. I can't remember the name of it, but it has a nice swimming beach section. Moto Market in Acton is the perfect early morning starting point. Those guys also know all the roads and are full of suggestions.

Bob K.

mass325ci

Yes | No

Same here

I work in watertown and just moved from waltham to sudbury. I've been trying all the new backroads to avoid Rt 20 and 117 in the morning. Try Glazen Rd if you get the chance... lots of twisties, never seen a cop, and some amazing houses along the way.

Registered Member
    Member No: 69545 vint101 is an unknown quantity at this point vint101's Avatar

Yes | No

Live right on it. Hate these bikes...

Registered Member

Yes | No

Strawberry Hill Rd. from Acton to Concord

A couple of amazing blind corkscrews with elevation changes. Too many people, kids, bikes, cops, horses to go fast though.

Rt. 225 in Carlisle is also quite nice.

Registered Member
    Member No: 72412 bob.knox is an unknown quantity at this point bob.knox's Avatar

Yes | No

I live on it too...Harley rallies are the worst!

Got stuck in my own driveway for 1/2hr last summer. I saw the train going by, backed up, and sat on my porch until the last ones trickled by.

Bob K.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Yep, at least the sport bikes go by pretty guick

It takes like a minute for a Harley to cruise along, spend some quality revving time at the light, admire the Nagog pond... I need an RPG:)

Registered Member

Yes | No

I commute on that every day.Cops are getting tough

Fantastic drive. I just bought an 88 M5, and that road is the first on my list. I am starting so see a lot more people pulled over though. Too many people have figured out that is a good way to aviod RT2 in the morning.

Bob K.

mass325ci

Yes | No

Scratch that... got pulled over yesterday!

The very same day that I write that I had never seen a cop on Glezen Rd, I get pulled over on my way home... going 31 in a 25! I let the cars in front of me get ahead so I could take a fun twisty a little fast. Sure enough, there is a cop coming in the opposite direction. Luckily I wasn't on the strait-away or I probably would have been going 40+. He didn't give me a ticket, but I probably won't be speeding there anymore.

It's still a great drive, just be careful.

go-bants

Yes | No

Re: Favorite Driving Routes?

For pure speed you can't go wrong with the east-bound section at the end of Rte. 2 just before you pull into Cambridge - you know the huge downhill stretch, where the speedometer can rip past 110 mph with no trouble at all. Try it at about 3 a.m., however. Criminal speeding is a tough rap to beat!

cheers,
    james
    ----
    88 M5

Registered Member
    Member No: 29070 jackbaggins is an unknown quantity at this point jackbaggins's Avatar

Yes | No

Go that way home everyday...

Hit 120MPH in my e28 535i yesterday down that hill. Then I hit the big brakes right before Lake st exit. Woooooooooshhhh. 3rd gear thru the exit, the best part of my commute home to scummerville.

85 535i
    90 325is

Registered Member
    Member No: 35285 dreeves is an unknown quantity at this point dreeves's Avatar

Yes | No

hah. I work on winter st, near the reservoir.

derek, what color is your E28? I've seen a bunch of the around.
    d reeves
    cambridge, ma
    1988 325is (street)
    1979 911sc, euro
    1988 M3 (track)

Registered Member

Yes | No

most of my favorites are in western mass.

too many cops in the 'burbs around boston to have much fun, though I agree with many of the comments about acton/lincoln, etc.

A friend of mine used to live on glezen, and would absolutely fly there in the morning with his E30 M3. never got pulled over as far as I know.

Most of my fun is confined to the rt.2 autobahn, the racetrack, and vermont.
    d reeves
    cambridge, ma
    1988 325is (street)
    1979 911sc, euro
    1988 M3 (track)

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: hah. I work on winter st, near the reservoir.

I'm on west st. My e28 is black/black, lowered, with either e34 basketweave or gold centered BBS rims. It's a little rough. I don't see many older bmws in the area, the few I see don't notice me. Altho, today I saw a white 2002 w/ alpina fender flares on main st, around lunchtime. After work today I was up behind the reservior at the abandoned polariod(i think) grounds. There are some great, flat, empty parking lots up there and no one else around ;)

85 535i
    90 325is

Registered Member

Yes | No

absolultely

I work further up that hill. those parking lots are lots of fun in the snow.

There's a white 535is I see every now and then... and for a long time, I was driving my silver 325is to work. More recently I've been taking the 911. But you're right. not too many older ones.

d reeves
    cambridge, ma
    1988 325is (street)
    1979 911sc, euro
    1988 M3 (track)

Registered Member

Yes | No

I might have seen your 911 around...

My next fun car will be an older 911 (78-83) or bmw 2002. Love those p cars. I'll keep an eye out.

85 535i
    90 325is

Registered Member

Yes | No

yeah, it's really fun. well worth it.

mine is a light blue metallic. so raw and tactile compared to more modern cars, even the E30.

we should all have lunch sometime. maybe next week?

d reeves
    cambridge, ma
    1988 325is (street)
    1979 911sc, euro
    1988 M3 (track)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information