+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 75069 g57yle is an unknown quantity at this point g57yle's Avatar

Yes | No

what welders for exhausts and manifolds?

i want to buy a welder to fabricate my own exhaust system. i would like to be able to join pipes nicely without gaps in the pipe joins. i would also like to fabricate my own manifolds. what welder or welders should i buy? also what do i need to cut out the plate that bolts to the engine? the part of the manifold with ports and stud holes on it (flat plate) thanks everyoneThanks in advance

G 57YLE MOTORSPORT inc

Registered Member
    Member No: 12259 Boru635 is an unknown quantity at this point Boru635's Avatar

Yes | No

If you\'re just learning to weld I would suggest >>

a MIG (wirefeed) welder but, in reality, pretty much any welder will work depending on your abilities. I use a MIG for some work, TIG for other stuff.
    The flange can be cut by several methods... bandsaw, plasma cutter, laser. Heck, you could make it with a file if you had the time. Possibly the best solution is to present a metal shop with your design and get an estimate. This is assuming you don't have the tools yourself.

Sweeney

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: If you're just learning to weld I would suggest >>

i have a mig but its crap. i tried welding a pipe together but it doesnt come out nice. i would like it to have a nice finish or at least not leak. its monomig 101 rated at 80amp max. is that crap? i was given it a while back and it uses gas. i want something that i could use to make NICE welds either fabricating my own exhaust or inlet setups. my project has alredy been done but i would like to do it all myself. i made my induction pipes by welding it all together but im sure it would have come out a lot better if i either used a better welder or different type. what welder would you recomend?Thanks in advance

G 57YLE MOTORSPORT inc

Sweeney 635 Twin Turbo
    Member No: Sweeney 635 Twin Turbo's Avatar

Yes | No

I have a MillerMatic 135 MIG welder which >>>

can use either flux core wire or gas. Flux core is good if you're welding outside in windy conditions.
    I also have a Lincoln SquareWave 175 TIG welder which can also weld with stick.
    No matter how good the welder is, you still have to learn the proper techniques and prep the metal properly.

dhs

Yes | No

Re: If you\'re just learning to weld I would suggest >>

Do you know someone who is experienced with MIG welding? I would not buy another welder if you already have one until I was absolutely sure it was the welder that had a deficiency. MIG is pretty easy, but you need a little knowledge to do it. Having someone test out your machine would be a very good thing IMO. They will quickly be able to determine if there is a problem. Hopefully the same person can give you some pointers.

FWIW - Don't try and do joints when learning to mig. Just practice running beads and figuring out what a good sound weld looks, sounds, and feels like to do.

80 Amps is plenty for doing exhaust work and most automotive related work. The monomig looks like a rebranding of an italian brand that my work sells. It is a cheaper machine, but plenty capable of doing a good weld if it is good working condition.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: If you're just learning to weld I would suggest >>

thanks. i still gotta but a visor and sort out the gun and then i should be ok. i just want to be able to do the kind of welds on that pic.Thanks in advance

G 57YLE MOTORSPORT inc

89325iturbo

Yes | No

Re: what welders for exhausts and manifolds?

I would buy a decent mig welder for like $600-700 dollars. something like a Miller, of Lincoln. You can buy cheaper welders that use flux core wire, but i think there junk. You get much nicer welds with a gas welder. If you plan on using it often enough the the 600 dollars is definately worth it.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information