+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 104906 john_m is an unknown quantity at this point john_m's Avatar

Yes | No

Moving my bimmer from Canada to Cali

I had no idea when I bought my 2000 323Ci that I'd be moving to Cali a month and a half later. Can anyone shed any light on what I have to do to register my car in California? I'm hoping I don't have to pay any tax on the car..

Thanks for any info,
    John

Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 67284
    Inner Circle ©39 since: Mar 20, 2013 Viv is on a distinguished road Viv's Avatar

Yes | No

Here\'s a link for you.

Where in California are you moving to?

Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I think you'll be able to get some good information here:
    CA Dept of Motor Vehicles
    Viv
    2003 530i Steel Blue Metallic /Gray leather
    AT/PP/SP/CWP/Xenon/Folding Rear Seats/Ultimate Cup Holders/Stongard Headlamp Covers/Stealth rear signal bulbs/50% tint/Saab trunk lid handle/BMWCCA Member/With a Pink Panther on the mirror/E34('91 525i) retired

[

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Here\'s a link for you.

Thanks, I couldn't find information on sales tax I have to pay though from that site.

I will be moving to the Mountain View area.

Registered Member
    Member No: 40699 npandher is an unknown quantity at this point npandher's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Moving my bimmer from Canada to Cali

CA *WILL* make you pay, however the reduced registration fee's makes it less painful. Does Ontario (assuming you are in London, Ont) refund part of the provincial regisitration IF you leave the Province?

Registered Member

Yes | No

I'm in Ontario. Registration is pretty cheap here (50/year). But last month I paid 15% of the price of the vehicle on sales tax! I just hope I don't have to pay that again when I come to California.

Registered Member
    Member No: 56335 ibew595 is an unknown quantity at this point ibew595's Avatar

Yes | No

As I recall,
    Mountain View, very nice choice! Welcome to the bay area!
    Keep the car out of Ca. for at least 90 days prior to ownership or sales tax at 8.25% will apply. Registration is due yearly and will cost +/- for your car $300, this is based on "value of the car". You will have to apply for registration and drivers license within 10 days(supposedly) if you plan on becoming a resident of CA. Insurance in the area is brutal so be prepared. The $1M policies of Can. are really expensive down here. For my 00 740i multi car discount it is $1100 year.
    Mt. Hamilton,San Jose, CA.2003
    2000 740i Impala brown

My baby
    BMW Food for the soul
    Kevin Goto

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thanks for the info! Not sure exactly what you mean by "Keep the car out of Ca. for at least 90 days prior to ownership".

I bought the car 45 days ago. I will be moving to California in a week or two. The car has always been registered in Canada, so it has never been to California.

Thanks,
    John

Inner Circle ©39 since: Mar 20, 2013 Viv is on a distinguished road Viv's Avatar

Yes | No

Kevin, the 90 days may not apply to him since

he isn't a CA resident, nor was one when he bought the car.

John, some people buy high-priced cars out-of-state and keep them out-of-state for a period of time and miles to get around paying our sales tax. I'm not sure this would even apply to you because you aren't a California resident. It might be worth your while to check it out before hand.

Viv
    AT/PP/SP/CWP/Xenon/Folding Rear Seats/Ultimate Cup Holders/Stongard Headlamp Covers/Stealth rear signal bulbs/50% tint/Saab trunk lid handle/BMWCCA Member/With a Pink Panther on the mirror/E34('91 525i) retired

[

Registered Member

Yes | No

Viv. and John

Viv,
    Point taken, I know the 90 day rule exists but am not sure of those details. By the way do you live anywhere near Hollister ave? A friend moved up there recently.

John,
    Well at least by moving to Mt. View you will be able to make lots of money. If you buy a house you get to write off the mortgage interest off your taxes. Problem is houses aren't cheap at all. Plenty to do around here and places to go. Remember this isn't Canada and there is more crime so be careful. My wifey is from Van. Next go check the California department of motor vehicles website that was given to you and see what they say about the 90 day rule. Hopefully it is not for non-residents. But be sure to check!
    2000 740i Impala brown

My baby
    BMW Food for the soul
    Kevin Goto

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Viv. and John

I checked the website, and it said that the 90 day rule doesn't apply to people moving in to the province. However, it said that the car must meet the federal requirements. My 2000 323Ci should meet those, right?

Again, it doesn't show anything about sales tax. So I hope I don't have to pay any more tax on the car!

Thanks for all the info people :)
    John

Registered Member

Yes | No

John

No, you won't have to pay any new taxes and the car should meet the US requirements by the DOT(department of transportation-better check that website. try dot.gov???)although you will have to register it if you are planning to be a resident for a extended period of time. If you are going back to Can. then don't do it. The registration is yearly, pay every year. It goes down every year but slowly. Depending which province you are from at least the tax here is 8.25% and income tax isn't 50% more like 35% and you get alot of write offs!
    welcome to my neck of the woods.
    2000 740i Impala brown

My baby
    BMW Food for the soul
    Kevin Goto

Mike in Sacramento

Yes | No

How to verify 50-state legality? (anyone?)

When I brought my '97 328i in from Texas, the DMV person who registered it checked for a specific sticker in the engine bay that identified it as meeting specs in all 50 states. Would one be able to find that on a Canadian car? I'm pretty sure that the car would be legal in Cal, but if that sticker's not there, it might throw the DMV folks for a loop. Or is that sticker a standard item on all North American bimmers?

FWIW,

Mike

Yes | No

Kevin - Holister Ave.

Holister is about 2 miles from my house, but even closer to where I grew up. Did he buy one of those huge houses overlooking the river? ;-) His area is similar to mine. No sidewalks on the street, and houses are generally on a good piece of property.
    Viv

[

Registered Member

Yes | No

- Holister Ave.

Viv,
    I couldn't tell you exactly, she is a Dr. friend of my wife and just moved up there. My wife has been up there and I will have to go visit too, lots of relatives and friends in Sac. and Roseville.
    2000 740i Impala brown

My baby
    BMW Food for the soul
    Kevin Goto

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thought I might visit if you were close

2000 740i Impala brown

My baby
    BMW Food for the soul
    Kevin Goto

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Viv. and John

NOOO!!!!!

I found a website http://www.boe.ca.gov/sutax/faqtrans.htm#d
    It says that "Residency is not a factor in determining if tax is due".

What should I do? I bought the car on March 25. I will be moving this Thursday, on May 13. That is only 49 days. Assuming it takes 1 week to get to CA, that means I would have only owned the car for 56 days outside of California. And I would have to pay CA sales tax.

The only solution I can think of would be to store the car here another month. But then I would have to rent a car there for a month.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    John

Yes | No

Hmm, how long can you keep in CA w/o

registering it? Would it help if you wait to register it? What about the mileage requirement? Is that a factor?
    Viv

[

Yes | No

Hey John! Did you get moved OK?

Viv
    Sacramento, CA

[

John

Yes | No

Re: Hey John! Did you get moved OK?

Hi! Sorry I haven't checked often lately because of all the hoopla surrounding the move.

The car just came last week, and I'm going to keep it with out of state plates for a month before I register it. Hopefully everything goes smoothly!

In the meantime, the movers dented my rear bumper. Where is a good place in the MV area to get this fixed? Their insurance is going to pay for this.

Thanks

Yes | No

Sorry about the dent! Post a message here asking

Glad to hear the move went well, besides the dent ;-(

There's going to be a 5er meet on 7/31 at the Wente Vineyards in Livermore. You can register at www.bigfootdesigns.com if you're interested. I'm looking forward to meeting serveral RF members at the event. Maybe you'd like to attend.
    Viv
    Sacramento, CA

[

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information