+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Registered Member
    Member No: 104906 john_m is an unknown quantity at this point john_m's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Viv. and John

NOOO!!!!!

I found a website http://www.boe.ca.gov/sutax/faqtrans.htm#d
    It says that "Residency is not a factor in determining if tax is due".

What should I do? I bought the car on March 25. I will be moving this Thursday, on May 13. That is only 49 days. Assuming it takes 1 week to get to CA, that means I would have only owned the car for 56 days outside of California. And I would have to pay CA sales tax.

The only solution I can think of would be to store the car here another month. But then I would have to rent a car there for a month.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    John

Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 67284
    Inner Circle ©41 since: Mar 20, 2013 Viv is on a distinguished road Viv's Avatar

Yes | No

OK. Robbers trip was fun, too bad you missed it.

Didn't hear from the teacher. We had a nice ride and lunch. I made up a slideshow, but need to remove some pictures b/4 posting it. One of the photographers didn't want her photos on the internet. I'll also keep posting the events as they come up.
    Viv
    2003 530i Steel Blue Metallic /Gray leather
    AT/PP/SP/CWP/Xenon/Folding Rear Seats/Ultimate Cup Holders/Stongard Headlamp Covers/Stealth rear signal bulbs/50% tint/Saab trunk lid handle/BMWCCA Member/With a Pink Panther on the mirror/E34('91 525i) retired

[

Registered Member
    Member No: 56335 ibew595 is an unknown quantity at this point ibew595's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: How to verify 50-state legality? (anyone?)

I have heard of a bunch of Cdn. BMWs being brought down to the states. No one has ever stated there was a registration problem.
    Mt. Hamilton,San Jose, CA.2003
    2000 740i Impala brown

My baby
    BMW Food for the soul
    Kevin Goto

Inner Circle ©41 since: Mar 20, 2013 Viv is on a distinguished road Viv's Avatar

Yes | No

Hmm, how long can you keep in CA w/o

registering it? Would it help if you wait to register it? What about the mileage requirement? Is that a factor?
    Viv
    AT/PP/SP/CWP/Xenon/Folding Rear Seats/Ultimate Cup Holders/Stongard Headlamp Covers/Stealth rear signal bulbs/50% tint/Saab trunk lid handle/BMWCCA Member/With a Pink Panther on the mirror/E34('91 525i) retired

[

Registered Member
    Member No: 95952 blakjak20 is an unknown quantity at this point blakjak20's Avatar

Yes | No

good point to bring up, especially --->

because of the crackdown on out of state (country???)
    plates floating in california
    just as long as no-one rats you out you should be fine :)

88 528e Auto
    Finished Projects: Pioneer DEH-P860MP (WELL WORTH IT), Directed 500W 4-Channel Amp pushing a 15" RF Sub and all speakers.
    Future projects: Speakers (MB Quart), OBC Light Bar, Foglights (One got chewed off... Any good cheap suggestions??).

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Hmm, how long can you keep in CA w/o

It wouldn't help to keep it for a while before registering, I don't think, because they ask to see the date that you bring it in the state from the shipping company.

I don't know anything about a "mileage requirement".. What is that?

Yes | No

I sure wish I had some answers for you ;-(

This is what I was referring to, but if your car has over 7,500 miles on it, which it probably does, the it doesn't apply.

NOTE: California law prohibits importing and/or registering a new vehicle (one with less than 7,500 miles at the time of purchase) unless it meets or is exempt from California emission standards. If you acquire a 49 state vehicle (vehicle manufactured for all states except California) from another state or country and do not qualify for one of the exemptions, you cannot register your vehicle and must immediately remove it from this state. You may purchase a One-Trip Permit to do so.

Reference: Health & Safety Code Section 43151(A)

In this section they say any sales taxes already paid will be considered when computing.

Use Tax-This tax is similar to sales tax. It is collected at the same rate as your county of residence. It is due on all vehicles purchased in California and on those brought into this state within 90 days of purchase. Any sales taxes paid out-of-state will be considered when computing the use tax due this state. This fee is due for ownership transfer of recently purchased vehicles.

At the DMV website, they have an automated email section. Have you tried this? Or, I'd call them directly and ask what the real story is. Maybe it would be better to leave the car behind for a month, I just don't know. Good luck!
    Viv

[

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: I sure wish I had some answers for you ;-(

I just thought about something.

When I drive the car over, how will they know when I crossed into the California border?? Let's say I reach California in a couple of weeks, and I wait a month before I tell them. When I register it then, I will just say I came a few days earlier..

Yes | No

That\'s what I was kinda thinking.

Or, if you say my wife stayed behind with the car, and now she's here and I need to register it. We're only talking about 30 days or so? That's not very long to have a car in-state before registering it. At least in my eyes ;-)
    Viv

[

Registered Member
    Member No: 95952 blakjak20 is an unknown quantity at this point blakjak20's Avatar

Yes | No

province???

i live in the province of sacramento errr county
    that's a good thing about having a grandpa 5er i suppose
    and i'd like to visit B.C. too... but am too poor a.t.m.

88 528e Auto
    Finished Projects: Pioneer DEH-P860MP (WELL WORTH IT), Directed 500W 4-Channel Amp pushing a 15" RF Sub and all speakers.
    Future projects: Speakers (MB Quart), OBC Light Bar, Foglights (One got chewed off... Any good cheap suggestions??).

Yes | No

Hey John! Did you get moved OK?

Viv
    Sacramento, CA

[

John

Yes | No

Re: Hey John! Did you get moved OK?

Hi! Sorry I haven't checked often lately because of all the hoopla surrounding the move.

The car just came last week, and I'm going to keep it with out of state plates for a month before I register it. Hopefully everything goes smoothly!

In the meantime, the movers dented my rear bumper. Where is a good place in the MV area to get this fixed? Their insurance is going to pay for this.

Thanks

Yes | No

Sorry about the dent! Post a message here asking

Glad to hear the move went well, besides the dent ;-(

There's going to be a 5er meet on 7/31 at the Wente Vineyards in Livermore. You can register at www.bigfootdesigns.com if you're interested. I'm looking forward to meeting serveral RF members at the event. Maybe you'd like to attend.
    Viv
    Sacramento, CA

[

Yes | No

Ooops, you have a 3 series ;-)

Viv
    Sacramento, CA

[

Registered Member

Yes | No

DISHONEST driver

hey guys, so finally I have my computer setup at home. I figure I owe you this story for all the help :)

So when I picked up the car from United Van Lines' driver, I noticed gouges on the centre of the rear bumper. I told the driver they weren't there originally. He said they were, and pointed me out to his copy fo the vehicle condition report. On the "conditions on loading" section, it was indicated that there is a scratch on the left side of the bumper. I told him I know what my car was like when they took, and either way, it said it was on the left side, not the centre. Then he said that they must have drawn the circle on the wrong side. I then told him it doesn't matter, because it says there's a scratch, while now there are gouges. He tried to [Oops!] and say that sometimes they write the wrong thing!! I told him I wasn't going to accept the car unless I note this on the "exceptions on delivery". Then he started saying "sure write whatever you want, but I'm not a liar and I know how I got it. It was like this".

I drove the car home, and just for fun, I looked at MY copy of the conditions on loading form. It didn't have the "scratchs on left bumper" written on it!! So this guy must have written it on his copy after he took the car, hoping that through moving I would lose my copy. Very dishonest. Not only that, but he wrecked some grass in my new apartment, and got in a fight with the mangement, and cops were called! Also, my computer monitor and desk were broken!

So now I'm in the long process of trying to get United to pay for this. I got an estimate from Sunnyvale Autobody; I was referred there by the BMW dealer..

Registered Member

Yes | No

Quick Note

Sunnyvale Autobody said that they're going to take off the bumper, do something to the plastic cover, and then repaint it. It will cost 850 total. I asked them how much it would cost for a new bumper, and they said 1100. So I told them if the difference isn't much, why not just do that? They said it'll be the same.

So is this fine? Also, they tried to assure me that it will look exactly the same. Is this true??? I don't want any slight differences in color or anything..

Yes | No

What a jerk! I\'d be afraid to ship my car with

Viv
    Sacramento, CA

[

Ian

Yes | No

i suppose i was VERY lucky then...

my car was driven by some random guy my parents hired from seoul, south korea to pusan, south korea (about 300 miles) then shipped from the port of pusan to oakland
    soo.... that makes it a near 6000 mile trip haha
    she came in good condition, blocked and secured in a 20' container
    but... i don't know what the [email protected]@rd did to my car but it was covered in black crap from front to middle
    hope you fight it all man! don't get duped by those lying jerks!!!
    g'luck!

Registered Member
    Member No: 56335 ibew595 is an unknown quantity at this point ibew595's Avatar

Yes | No

painting...

Either new or fixed they still have to paint it. Make sure you talk with sunnyvale and make sure they know what you expect. When you paint bumpers you run the risk of the colors not matching exactly because of the paint additives to prevent peeling and cracking (flex additives).
    Sorry to hear of your misfortunes.
    Mt. Hamilton,San Jose, CA.2003
    2000 740i Impala brown

My baby
    BMW Food for the soul
    Kevin Goto

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information