+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 75069 g57yle is an unknown quantity at this point g57yle's Avatar

Yes | No

knowledge test about diff fitments (please help)

does an e36 diff fit a e30 at all? if so would you need to modify anything? or will any series diff fit? i want something like a 2.8:1 ratio. any hints please?Thanks in advance

G 57YLE MOTORSPORT inc

///ARINUTS...

Yes | No

84-85 325e = 2.79 , 86-87 325e 2.93

E36 diff does not fit the E30 unless it is from a compact or a Z3.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: 84-85 325e = 2.79 , 86-87 325e 2.93

do you know if any were lsd? and also can i put the lsd part of mine into the other ones?Thanks in advance

G 57YLE MOTORSPORT inc

///ARINUTS...

Yes | No

YES, sport models (325es) had LSD

the only real sure fire way to know if it is LSD is if the case of the diff has a white S stamped on it and there is a tag that is attached to one of the rear cover bolts, there should be a S after the numbers, for example if it was a 2.93:1 ratio and LSD, it would say S293 or 293S or something like that.

Most 325es cars had the LSD , some non sport models have them as it was an option.

As far as putting in the LSD unit from another diff, It is possible, I know some people have done it, but its not cost effective, unless the differential has other problems. If you know how to rebuild a diff then go for it. If you have a good diff with an LSD, sell it as is and take the money and get another LSD unit.

Registered Member

Yes | No

WHAT ABOUT 2.5:1 LSD? IS IT POSSIBLE?

Thanks for the previous posts. only probem is im based in the UK and ive never seen a 325e! ive seen a few 525e's but do they carry the same diff?

and does anybody have an idea if the e36 internals if a diff fit in a e30 diff??????

because i have a spare e30 diff and i know where i can get a 328i diff really cheap and i dont mind messing around with them.

thanks againThanks in advance

G 57YLE MOTORSPORT inc

///ARINUTS...

Yes | No

the 525e should have the same diff.....

US 528e = Euro 525e and in the US the 528e had the 2.93. SO they should be the same.

If you don't mind messing around witht the internals, then the E36 gears should work fine. Just make sure you know what ratios you are getting. from what I know most E36 cars have pretty short ( numericall higher) gearing.

Registered Member

Yes | No

The 328i has a ratio of about 2.9:1.

that should be good enough. ill see how much i can buy a 328i diff for and mess around with it, ill let you know how it goes. thanks for your helpThanks in advance

G 57YLE MOTORSPORT inc

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information