Alot has been accomplished since my last update. To begin, the manifolds were completed. This wrapped up all three phases of TIG welding. Phase 1 involved welding of the log and runners to the manifold flange. Phase 2 involved test-fitting and welding of the T3 turbo flanges to the log. The final bits were completed in Phase 3 which included the welding of the wastegate flanges, the support brackets and the heat shield studs. Here's a few pics...
This one is of the completed manifolds...

These pics are of the Passenger side manifold...

These are of the Driver's side manifold...

This is of the passenger side turbo mounted in the car. Fortunately, when I test fitted the turbo, everything lined up just the way we wanted it to. Unfortunately, the perfect fit was limited to the turbo itself as the wastegate flange turned out to be about 10-15 degrees off. This caused the wastegate to hit the frame rail during installation. So...this means that I will have to pull everything out and make yet another trip to the welder to have this little glitch fixed. Here's a pic of the turbo installed on that side...

These pics are of the turbo installed on the driver's side of the car. As you can see from the first pic, the exhaust manifold is in place with the heat shielding attached only on the front half of the manifold. The rear half of the shielding will be affixed after the wastegate is mounted and permanantly plumbed. The second pic is of the turbo from underneath of the car. I think the tight space speaks for itself insofar as the difficulty of making it all fit...

Notice that there's only 1/2" of space between the turbo and the steering linkage...

This pic of of the oil return lines back to the oil pan. This was taken from underneath of the car, obviously, so please forgive the poor quality/angle of the pic...

The final pic for this installment is of the Split Second Controller. It finally arrived on Friday and I set up a power supply and some bench test equipment to ensure it was operating properly before installing it in the car. I'm still learning how this thing works so have lots of questions for their tech support people come Monday morning...

Speaking of Monday morning, I just realized that it's pretty late and should go get some sleep. Cheers all...
- John

BMWCCA #288391
'92 850iA
'00 R1100RT