+ Reply to Thread
    EdP

Yes | No

BMW Netherlands announces staring price HAHAHHA

Guess the price of a basic 116 model????

###25.500 Euro!!! The worst selling 316ti compact with only 3 doors, same size starts at 24900 Euro. If the one will be a success, I don't get it why the compact failed.

I thought the one is a VW Golf(20K Euro) / Audi A3 (23K Euro) competitor?

The 25.500 includes 19% tax and luxery tax... The ex. price is arround 17K Euro in the Netherlands.

EdP

EdP

Yes | No

Typo: starting price

Registered Member
    Member No: 45987 Mr_Mike is an unknown quantity at this point Mr_Mike's Avatar

Yes | No

1-series 5dr, a3 3dr...

I guess the coming 5dr A3 will cost almost same as the 1-series 5dr.

Rick 330d

Yes | No

Re: 1-series 5dr, a3 3dr...

Apart from the 2 extra doors, A3 starts with 101 HP engine, 116i has 115 HP. Comparing to an A3 with 115 HP prices are 'surprisingly' similar. Usually BMW prices are somewhat higher than Audi, with good reason one could say :-)

The Mercedes A class starts at about 1000 Euros less than 1 series here, this is again for a 101 HP car, 10% shorter.

Looks like 1 series pricing is well chosen, guaranteed for commercial succes, even in a country with highest car prices after Denmark...

EdP

Yes | No

So why is Audi selling more A3\'s than BMW compacts

This market segment to crowded. Too much competition. So what's BMW's surplus value, rear wheel drive, the image of the badge??

The one is just a 5 door replacement of the 3 compact. If they want to take a serious bite out of this segment competitors market share, the price is not competitive enough. So forget all about the magazine stories like 'the golf killer...' etc..

And the 3 doors 1 series will be even more expensive...they will label it 'the One coupe'.

EdP

Registered Member
    Member No: 82992 RickKap is an unknown quantity at this point RickKap's Avatar

Yes | No

Bingo!

The E46 Compact doesn't sell that well at all. Hmmm...

320d

Yes | No

Re: So why is Audi selling more A3\'s than BMW compacts

A3's sell more because, unlike popular voice, it is the 3 series compact that is ugly, not the 5 series and other recent Bangle designs.

The One is not a Golf killer. BMW will be making 150000 per year. That's not a lot, the Golf was expected to sell 600000/year. However it will hurt sales of Audi A3 and more expensive Golf versions. It's the new Mégane, the new Astra and the future Focus II that are Golf-killers. And indeed these are killing the Golf.

Rick 330d

Yes | No

BMW surplus value: model range

BMW's surplus value is selfevident when compared to Golf and Astra, there's probably not a lot between A3 and 1 series (in which case price is well chosen) apart from the badge.

3 Compact is not selling well because of styling, drives prettty good.

I agree with you that 1 series is (too) expensive, certainly for any Dutch buyer, but the same point can be made for Mini, which is selling like hotcakes.

The best point about BMW 1 series is probably the model range (at least it could be). Apart from the obvious three door model, a touring, 4 door sedan and 2 door coupe and convertible would be a great line up.

I would like to see a touring model myself.

Rick

Registered Member
    Member No: 82992 RickKap is an unknown quantity at this point RickKap's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: BMW surplus value: model range

The 1 series looks worse than the E46 Compact.

EdP

Yes | No

I agree, except the headlights, but I have to see

the one in person. A dealer in my neighbour gets a demo model next week. I'm not that enthusiast anymore to plan a visit.

EdP

Registered Member
    Member No: 45987 Mr_Mike is an unknown quantity at this point Mr_Mike's Avatar

Yes | No

I disagree...

You said that compact does not sell because of styling, i disagree. Mercedes-benz C-Class sports coupe (compact rival) sells very badly too. 1-series is totally new BMW, compact was just a 3-series model without proper rear, old styling and too much price, couple of euros more and you get sedan. Same goes to mercedes.
    1-series is more sporty, new model, so I think it will bring a new customers to bmw.

Andy C

Yes | No

Because the Compact is not competing with the A3-

thta's gonna be the 1-series' job. The current Compact is a full-price 3-series model, just like the convertible/ touring/ sedan etc.

badman1126

Yes | No

3 door will be less than 5 door...

The upcoming coupe and the 3 door are two different things. The 3 door is a hatchback (it's literally the 5 door minus 2 doors), the coupe is not.

Registered Member
    Member No: 96263 sank_ch is an unknown quantity at this point sank_ch's Avatar

Yes | No

Ummm good price for swiss market

if i refer to your price without taxes, it will be interesting to buy it here in swtizerlant as we have only a tax of 7,6%, Sale's price will be around Euro 18300.00 This is a competitive price

Registered Member

Yes | No

Here are some reasons:

once again these reasons apply mainly to the swiss market.
    -Our car taxes are mainly based on the power or ccm3 of the car. When Audi presented his 1st A3, the car was powered with a little engine of only 1,8 liter and basicaly developping 150 Hp due to a turbo. to find a 3 serie with the same perfs as the A3 150 Hp, you need to take a 6 Inline 2,5 liters!!!! Which means more expensive taxes. How want to pay more for the same perf?!
    -These turbo engine was easy to upgrade in power (200 Hp and over), so for the young people who don't have always lot of money it was easyer to have a "powerfull" car at a low cost.
    -one or two years later Audi Offered the Quattro on the A3, Bmw never did a 316ix compact or 318ix or 325ix compact!!

Registered Member

Yes | No

Just Received confirmation of swiss price

starting @ CHF 29900.00 that's about Euros 19290.00 that's a bit expensive for a little 1.6 engine

Car will debut on Sept the 18th.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information