+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 73384 Tine is an unknown quantity at this point Tine's Avatar

Yes | No

I\'ve seen 120i at a preview event!!! (long)

Hi, guys.
    I've just come from a BMW 1-series preview.
    It was located in a beautiful castle in Ljubljana.
    I wasn't allowed to take photos, so no pics, sorry.
    All I could get was a official brouchure which has been already posted here.
    It was 120i, quartz blue, beige leather, sport seats, black/grayish-blue dash with aluminium trim, 17" wheels, no navigation (so no I-Drive).
    Price is not known yet, but is expected to be a bit above 3-door Audi A3 price.

There were one black 645Ci and one white 645Ci cabrio parked at the entrance. 6 series is very massive and aggressive car - with no classic beauty, but with remarkable presence. A car you want to be seen in! Interior is sporty and luxorius, but with no room at backseats!

And now the impressions of 1 series!

EXTERIOR:
    The car looks amazing (from all angles)!!! Bangle design works!
    Looks much bigger as I expected. The wheels (17") look huge (maybe they are a bit too big - I think 16" will look better)!!!
    The shape is sleek and very coupe like, specilly because the car is lower than other cars in this segment.
    The car looks very sporty and agrressive in person. Front is sinistery aggressive (frontlights don't look so huge in person) and the back is low, and looks so sporty with huge tail pipe and big round lights.
    All proportions are right and tipically BMW's. The quartz blue colour looks so good on this car! Exterior is simply the best. 1 series has really the most aggressive and sporty look in its segment.

INTERIOR:
    Interior is another story ... a sad one.
    The boot is the best thing - it's roomy and well done.
    Back seats are cosy, but there is place for only 2 adult people. There is simply no room!!! I'm only 5'8" and I had absolutely no space for legs and hardly for the head. Back doors are small and it is difficult to enter.
    Front seats and the driving position are good. Ergonomics is fine. All buttons and switches are in right place. So what's wrong? THERE IS NO ROOM! The feeling in front is very tight (eng, no space for elbows). The feeling is like you are in a sport car, not the car of Golf segment. The feeling inside is like in BMW Z4.
    Materials are so-so. Leather on seats and doors looks luxoriuos, and as well the alu-trim and alu - door handlesbut. But all the plastic spoil the luxorious feeling. Upper part of dash is fine, but the middle part (where climate and radio controls are and the place between front seats) is so plastic! The plastic feels OK, but it looks really cheap (even compared with the plastic from A3, Golf or Megane)! I was deeply disappointed. But the stuff assured me, the production models will come with much better interior plastic and details! I hope so!

I really don't understand why BMW shows preproduction cars with crapy plastic interior which initialy turn away prospects. Stupid act!

CONCLUSION:
    1 series (production version) is a winner for BMW, no doubt.
    So, if you look for premium and sporty hatchback, 1 series is a dream car for you.
    But it is NOT A FAMILY CAR! It is a comfortable car for max. 2 persons and no more! It's for wealthy young 20-30 people with no children.
    I think Audi A3 and Alfa Romeo 147 sales will suffer a lot!

That's all folks! If you have a question, just ask ...

Rick 330d

Yes | No

Headlights and under the bonnet

I agree with you, except for the upper part of the dash, this looked poor to me too.

The front of the car I saw didn't have (Bi) Xenon, and no angel eyes ! This actually makes the car look a lot better, as the two outer lights are a lot bigger than the inner two (think E60/E63)!

Almost funny was the amount of space left under the bonnet, clearly room for a couple more cylinders...

BMW staff mentioned this kind of preview (months ahead of dealer introduction) will be done for 3 series as well.

tg

Yes | No

Front interior space?

Tine,how tall are you?According to some mag previews front space is adequate.According to the data sheet in the brochure the car is 0.5cm taller and wider than an e46.How is interior space in comparision to the e46?

Registered Member
    Member No: 73384 Tine is an unknown quantity at this point Tine's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Front interior space?

I'm 5'8".
    E46 is a bit more spacious at the back (for legs and head).

Front space (for legs) is adequate, but the feeling is a bit claustrophobic (it's tight). I didn't have such feeling in E46.

I hit the door panel several time with my elbow when I was turning arund the steering wheel. Never had such problems in E46.

Serbian Guy

Yes | No

Did they mention something about 2 door Coupe ???

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information