+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    yasu

Yes | No

Is there an place that has high octane fuel?

In seattle area?

I have been looking around, but no luck so far..

Registered Member
    Member No: 12416 ZeattleDave2002 is an unknown quantity at this point ZeattleDave2002's Avatar

Yes | No

There was a place in Kenmore at one time

The guy raced and had very high octane at his gas station - probably more as a convenience for him and his friends. Over 95 iirc. I don't even see 92 in Seattle anymore. Sadly, I don't even remember where the station was.

Dave out

Registered Member
    Member No: 8446 cargogal is an unknown quantity at this point cargogal's Avatar

Yes | No

There\'s a Sunoco pump at PR, but I dunno

if it's unleaded. Call Carb Connection or Speedware or one of the other tuner shops and ask where you can get high-octane unleaded.

What do you need it for?

If you can't go fast with 90hp, 900 won't do you any good.
    -bwob

coug

Yes | No

Aviation Gasoline?

Does anybody know if small airfields will sell aviation gasoline for cars? From what I have heard from a friend who flies a Bonanza it is only high octane gasoline, nothing else special. It may not have federal road taxes on it so it might be illegal to sell for use in cars.

yasu

Yes | No

For my friend's bike project... Thank you all.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Not a good idea for a number of reasons.

Avgas isn't octane-rated the same as pump gas, so often what looks like a high-octane gas is for practical purposes lower than a high-octane pump gas. It's also often leaded, which poisons O2 sensors and catalytic converters and, more importantly, poisons everyone who comes into contact withyour exhaust (one big reason to switch pump gas to unleaded in the first place). It also isn't oxygenated like pump gas, and can mess with your A/F mixture.

-bwob

dp

Yes | No

not that bad really

100LL really IS 100 octane. the 'LL' is supposed to stand for low lead but that's relative to what they had before - it's definitely heavy on the stuff. that said, i know of someone who uses it in all his cars (we're talking dozens here) and has never had an issue. further, considering that this is a bike project, it's not likely to have either an o2 sensor or a cat. and while it was definitely a good idea to stop tens of millions of cars spewing lead into the atmosphere, a single bike is not going to make much of an impact. a few thousand airplanes use lots of the stuff every day and i've yet to see a 2-headed baby result from it (then again i don't hang around babies much). avgas is about 1/2 the price of 105 octane unleaded race gas. also, 110 octane race fuel is just as leaded as any av.

dp

Yes | No

on the other hand...

if you NEED more than 91 pump gas, you're either getting PAID to do it (in which case you don't need our advice) or you're doin' something wrong ;)

Registered Member
    Member No: 11187 royloo is an unknown quantity at this point royloo's Avatar

Yes | No

Used to use it for racing bikes all the time....

it was sort of a legal cheat. The WERRA rules stated we had to use 'pump' gasoline, so we used avgas. We were able to run higher compression with lower temperatures (prevent pistons sticking in our 2 strokes) and really get some performance in that hot W. Virgina weather.

RoyL

Better Living Through Technology
    Happier Lives Through Understanding
    More Fun Through Fast Cars, Good Wine, and Great Music
    (and doing a perfect late-apex!)

dp

Yes | No

ya know, i keep meaning to return your shirt...

remind me the next time. it's all laundered, too...

Registered Member
    Member No: 11187 royloo is an unknown quantity at this point royloo's Avatar

Yes | No

you have one of my shirts?? What from and which 1?

RoyL

Better Living Through Technology
    Happier Lives Through Understanding
    More Fun Through Fast Cars, Good Wine, and Great Music
    (and doing a perfect late-apex!)

dp

Yes | No

a white bmw t-shirt. from when i don't remember ;)

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: not that bad really

110 octane race fuel is just as leaded as any av.

I never said it wasn't... the highest AKI you can get unleaded in the US is 104.

and while it was definitely a good idea to stop tens of millions of cars spewing lead into the atmosphere, a single bike is not going to make much of an impact.

Ja, but on this quick note, we already have three "just one" people, and extrapolate that out, you get a lot of "just one" people. Like all of the people on all of the message boards who proudly boast that they've taken out their cats on their street/commuter cars. Like you said, most don't need it, which is why I recommended against it - it adds up. There is a ridiculous idea amongst the US populace that higher octane is always better, regardless of need...

I don't like babies, either, but other people are more than willing to hang around them for us. Most of the reserach has been done with workers and comparing regions where leaded gas is legal vs. illegal for street cars - merely becasue they're a lot easier to control - but research on chronic exposure to low levels of lead (like you get when your neighbor uses leaded gas to commute) is starting to appear, which is more relevant to the OP's intent.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12083707
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=10991779
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=10940962
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=11256853

I'm not criticizing you, becuase you don't commute or run your errands in a car. If we all did that, we'd be a lot better off...

BTW, I'm selling the 325 and getting a motorcycle.

-bwob

yasu

Yes | No

What's PR?

Registered Member
    Member No: 57041 Scott_H is an unknown quantity at this point Scott_H's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Is there an place that has high octane fuel?

There may still be a 76 station on Auburn way that sells Union 76 racing gas. You might look for local roundy round or drag racing bulletin boards and ask there.

Scott

dp

Yes | No

no argument here - i agree...

which is why whenever someone posts that he's going to remove catalytic converter(s) i do my best to discourage it. my new motorcycle has one - and it still puts out 180 hp from 1.0 liters ;)

which bike are you getting?

Registered Member

Yes | No

A beginner\'s bike. I was thinking

something like the Suzuki GZ250 - I want to get used to riding before I try a sport bike. Besides, I can barely touch the ground on most sport bikes, and I felt pretty planted when I tried the 650 Savage.

-bwob

Registered Member

Yes | No

BTW, what\'s the new bike?

-bwob

dp

Yes | No

c'mon, you know the answer is..

dp

Yes | No

try a yamaha seca II

they're cheap and pretty nice. i'd recommend against a 250. get a 500-650, just find one that fits you. also getting decent tires should be the FIRST thing you do after buying one. a used bike will most likely have tires with middles worn square - this REALLY screws up the handling and makes it much more difficult to learn and more dangerous too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information