+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

theo325

Yes | No

blew my head gasket running 15 psi boost

Hi guys, I blew my head gasket on my 325is e30. What is the best gasket and best head bolts I can get. I want to be able to run 12 psi with no problems.

Thanks in advance, Eric

bilodeaulynn

Yes | No

Re: blew my head gasket running 15 psi boost

Ask a hundred guys and you will probably get 100 answers. This is just my opinion, but here goes.

First, insure both block and head are dead on true. Some folks don't thing BMW blocks get distorted, but they do, although not by much. The heads are usually a little off, especially if it ever got hot.

Second, I think the factory head gasket is sufficient to run 10 psi without further mods, assuming both block and head are true.

Third, if you are wanting to run 15 psi sustained, I think the best all around combo is the factory gasket with a stainless "O" ring in the head. Assuming your block is dead on, I would disassemble the head, take it with the new head gasket to a good machine shop for a scim cut and an "O" ring job.

I am sure others will tell you copper is the way to go. I have a copper head gasket on my 745i right now. It took two tries to get it to seal the water leaks, and even then, after a few thousand miles, I had a slight seepage. Ended up puting stop leak in to insure no seepage. Also, with copper, to do it right, you will need both the block and head skim cut, have the block machined for "O" rings, and have the head machined for receiver grooves. If you want to be able to do this job without pulling the whole engine, go with an "O" ringed head and the factory gasket.

I would also use the factory head bolts. Although they are not "single use" items, you can buy new ones for a little extra peace of mind. They are not expensive. Others will advise you use studs, but one of the guys on the 745i board had a bad experience with brand "A" sutd kit. Didn't even get over the factory 6 psi boost and the head gasket was pushed out on one side. Check out his post:

http://bmwturbos.scottiesharpe.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=908&SearchTerms=arp,head,studs

Good Luck.

Lynn

theo325

Yes | No

Thanks for the advise Lynn. How do the O rings work?

Eric

Registered Member
    Member No: 35512 ABS is an unknown quantity at this point ABS's Avatar

Yes | No

So any other guys have problems with ARP head studs im about to spend 200 aud on them ....
    If not ill just buy new standards!!!!!!

Sweeney 635 Twin Turbo
    Member No: Sweeney 635 Twin Turbo's Avatar

Yes | No

Got them on my 6er running 17psi boost >>>

with stock gasket, non o-ringed.

Registered Member
    Member No: 12052 lastcat is an unknown quantity at this point lastcat's Avatar

Yes | No

Sweeney, which ones?

When you said, Got them! Which were you referring too?

Stock BMW Head Bolts?

or

ARP Studs?

Also, there is a story about a guy that used ARP bolts on his 745 Turbo car, and the ARP Studs failed. Check the link below.

I wonder if it was because of the torque procedure that was used? And since we are here, what is the Proper Torque Procedure for ARP Studs for the M30 BMW Engine?

Their website says to follow the original car manual, which says, 29 ft-lbs, wait 15 mins. 44 ft-bls then run engine 25 minutes, then torque bolts 25 degrees.

Then some of the bmw guys that use ARP Studs, have said, 72-77 ft lbs.

Anyone know the correct torque procedure for the M30 engine, using the ARP Studs? ARP website is vauge.

Cheers
    LastCat
    (with Turbo Bug - contagious, aint it? LOL )

Sweeney 635 Twin Turbo

Yes | No

I used ARP studs. The directions say >>>

simply; using their moly grease, torque to 80lb/ft, using 30 weight oil, torque to 120lb/ft.
    I used the moly grease but had some residual oil in the holes so after exhaustive calculating.... I said "screw it" and torqued to 100lb/ft... 40, 60, 80, 100.

theo325

Yes | No

what about the 12.9 grade hex head bolt from my 88

I had an 88 325i m20 motor that had metric 12.9 grade head bolts. ARP claim that there bolts are 15% stronger than imperical grade 8 bolts. After some calculations I found out that the 12.9 should be stronger than the ARP... All this to ask one question: Where can I find these 12.9 hex head bolts? I need new ones and the dealer only carries 10.9 torx head bolts.

Thanks, Eric

Registered Member
    Member No: 105168 89325iturbo is an unknown quantity at this point 89325iturbo's Avatar

Yes | No

I would definalely run head studs. Head bolts aren't meant for the pressures of a turbo. Any turbo car thats running a good amount of power will probably have studs. You can use a stock material gasket for 12psi also.

Sweeney 635 Twin Turbo

Yes | No

We've been running 18psi on the TCD 535 >>>

with stock gasket and stock bolts with quite a few dyno runs and drag races at the track.

matt325is

Yes | No

I would say o-ringing is probably the best way to go, it is a little more expensive, but will save you in the long run. Also head studs will help. A lot of the Euro guys o-ring, the Volvo guys sometimes superglue piano wire to their block to get the effect of o-ringing (withouth the slot of course).

I wish I did it to mine when the engine was out. Right now i am running 15ish psi without problems, adjusted to 18psi yesterday, and was still fine. Backed it down to 15 for now, and probably will back it down to 7-10ish because of gas milage.

matt

89325iturbo

Yes | No

Matt you turned it up to 18psi, it must have been a beast at that psi. I want ot run in the 16-18psi range when my car is tuned.

///ARINUTS...

Yes | No

WHOA!!! 18psi on a M20??? what internal mods????

I'm wondering what internal mods have to be done to an M20 engine to be able to run 18Psi on a regular basis.

What are all the mods you have done?? what would you say are the most important?

Thanks

89325iturbo

Yes | No

Matt has a really nice built up m20.

matt325is

Yes | No

Re: WHOA!!! 18psi on a M20??? what internal mods????

http://matt325i.home.comcast.net/Webpage/turbo.html

The most important upgrade would probably be the low compression pistons (Ross forged aluminum). Second would be fuel management. These are KEY when you want to boost a lot. If you can fuel it, the power will be crazy.

matt

///ARINUTS...

Yes | No

Very Nice!! What Rods are you using?

I didn't see a mention of connecting rods. are you using stock items?

Also, is you Turbo a T4 with a T3 flange? like a T3/T4 hybird type thing? what are the specs? ( a/r ratios, compressor size, etc..)

thanks

matt325is

Yes | No

Re: Very Nice!! What Rods are you using?

Hey,

I am using the stock rods. Have not had any problems with them yet *crosses fingers*.
    The turbo is a straight up T04e with a/r ratio's of .50 compressor and .60 turbine. The compressor wheel is 55mm and the exit of the compressor is 2". The turbine has an exit of 2.5". I am not sure what kind of trim it is, or anything like that, there is a tag after Garrett that says G2/84. Not sure what that means (can anyone tell me?).

matt

theo325

Yes | No

Do you know if your low compression pistons came with OEM rings or special rings?

Thanks in advance, Eric

matt325is

Yes | No

They came with a set of Deves Rings and high strength wrist pins.

matt

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information