+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    Registered Member
    Member No: 157103 1jbn1jbn1 is an unknown quantity at this point 1jbn1jbn1's Avatar

Yes | No
    Just did mine. Shame on me for taking this long to complain to this entity or BMW. On a hot day this car is nuts in terms of steering.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 70.246.154.82

Unregistered

Yes | No

Z4 Steering - Possible fix?

I have had my 2004 Z4 for about 5 years. I quickly noticed the steering issue that many other have complained about and tried to fix. I thought someone described it very well when they said the power assist seems to come and go as you drive, causing the car to constantly over-correct as you drive down the road...usually in a somewhat zig-zag path.

I only drive my car in the summer and store it in my garage in the winter. I always disconnect the battery for storage. A couple of years ago, i took it out of storage and a few of the lights on the instrument panel no longer worked. On example was the outside temperature indicator which only had a couple of dashes instead of numbers. I didn't worry about it.

Eventually, I took the car in for routine service. The service writer informed me that everything checked out good, but a few sensors on the car needed to be reset since apparantly the battery had become too weak or had been disconnected at some point. This caused the sensors to require resetting. The service technician reset the sensors so all of my indicators on the instrument panel then worked. He also mentioned that if it happened again, reinitialize the sensors by turning the steering wheel all the way to the left and then all the way to the right (or vice versa). That process will reinitialize the sensors (according to him).

That was in June 2011. It wasn't long after that I realized I didn't have the steering issues anymore. My assumption or hope is that reinitializing the sensors also apparently reinitialized sensors in the steering system. And these sensors apparently make the system work properly.

I have no proof of this other than the fact that my car doesn't have the problem any longer and driving is much more pleasurable.

C Harter ([email protected])
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 68.60.178.245

Unregistered

Yes | No

Steering Problems (the continuing saga)

Hi Guys

I'm having the same problem for my Z4 as well. Meaning i just need to replaced the steering column will do (even though it will not solve my problem permenantly). Please advise. Thanks in advance.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 60.48.80.121

Unregistered

Yes | No

Steering problems are real and sometimes scary!

Purchased a used 2004 BMW Z 4 in February, the steering was fine until the daytime temps started reaching 65 degrees. Now in April with temps averaging above 65, this has really become a problem. It isn't too bad in the city, but kind of scary on the highway at high speeds. The steering "sticks" in one position, if you need to turn slightly to follow a curve, you have to give it a quick but slight turn, then it sticks in that position and you have to counter turn it back to where it was, were it will stick again. My vehicle is not under any kind of warranty, and was hoping this was a simple fix, however it doesn't sound like it. If people say this is normal, they are crazy.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 66.64.232.42

Unregistered

Yes | No

Z4 Sticky Steering / The Temperary Fix

Add another to the list. 2004 Z4 2.5 ~ In Texas Cool mornings no problem, hot afternoons and it rears its ugly head. Now have 52000mi. 1st noticed it last summer at about 39K. It's always felt to me as if the sticking was happening high in the steering column like close to the steering wheel so the following made sense to me! Here's maybe some good news, I found the following 'possible' temporary fix on another blog site, haven't had time to try this on mine yet but I plan to in the next few days so here it is folks what someone else did that fixed their sticking steering and the hopeful temp fix----

If you remove the panel under the steering column (6 screws) pull the telescoping wheel all the way up, you can clean and re-grease the column shaft. Then work it in by sliding the wheel in and out and turning left to right. Again not a permanent fix but not hard to do. You don't have to remove the column. I just did mine and it's never felt smoother.

The 6 screws and panel look easy enough but after removing the panel exactly what did you do to lube the shaft? Can you see the bearing at that point? did you use a lithium grease or some other lubricant?

Follow the steering shaft down from the wheel and you will come to a shinny shaft. This is the inner race of the bearing. The bearing is inside the upper part of the column. When you pull the telescoping wheel in and out it slides up and down this stationary shaft. I used white lithium grease on my fingertips and coated the shinny part of this shaft. Easiest when the wheel is all the way up and pulled all the way out. Oh and I took the lower half of the steering column cover off too. 2 screws. One near the wheel unlock lever and one on top by the instrument cluster. Then it pops apart. Then just work the grease into the bearing by pushing the wheel in and out while turning the wheel side to side. Hope that's clearer.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 76.253.164.114

firez

Yes | No

steering problems

as above i have a 2003 z4 and also experience steering problems at different times some days its perfect other days its hard to steer like as if i lost my power steeringand also noticed will not centre would be nice if someone found a cure
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 207.194.15.119

pepa_u

Yes | No

Steering sticks to central position

I do not have BMW, but I experience pretty much the same problem! My car is Skoda Octavia (essentially VW Golf under the hood). The steering feels fine below 100km/h. Above it noticeably starts sticking to the central position as described here. It definitely also depends on temperature.
    I started to focus on this issue a bit more and found out that it does not feel sticking at lower speeds just because the power steering is helping a bit more and gets over the "locked center" position easier, but the sticking is there. If I move the steering wheel faster, the feel is not there. The power steering probably also helps to get over it.
    It is possible to feel it also on standing car with the engine turned off. Then it is very strong.
    It feels to me like if some magnet holds the steering in position - is it an issue of the power steering motor? There is also a torsion bar in the steering that is used to measure force on the steering from driver. This could also maybe cause this kind of behaviour (?)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 82.170.110.118

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Thread Information