+ Reply to Thread
    Shawn Michael Bellegia
    Member No: Shawn Michael Bellegia's Avatar

Yes | No

1982 911 SC Front Lower Spoiler install????

I have a 1982 911 SC that has the carrera tail installed - but no front lower spoiler. I like the look of the front lower spoiler, but am having a hard time deciding if I should install it on my car. Do most of you think it would just be a pain because of grounding out? Should I worry about RUST from drilling the holes to install? Is the front lower spoiler a necessity for vehicle stability since I already have the carrera tail installed. I do not race the car - it is just a weekend garage queen. Help me decide - thanks!
    Shawn M. Bellegia

Keith G

Yes | No

Re: 1982 911 SC Front Lower Spoiler install????

Sorry, no help here, but I have a similar problem and thought this would be a good place to post it up. I have an 83' coupe. Recently ran over (thats right over) a deer dead in the road (someone else's car is in worse shape than mine!) The front valance below the bumper was the only damaged area. It is very bent. I was considering going for the carrera valance with the recessed fog lights (both foglights are broken) instead of just replacing what was there. Any thoughts?

Cooper B.

Yes | No

Hi Shawn, I have both installed on my '81 car. The aerodynamics of the car really do require the chin spoiler as well as the wing. Below is a copy from one of my old posts on the site, it explains the aero effects. With only the rear wing front lift (Clf) makes for an unstable car at high speed. (Too much air gets under the front of the vehicle)

As far as rust goes I wouldn't worry too much about it. My car is a daily driver and gets washed weekly to keep debris out from the lip behind the chin spoiler. (I live in 'nice' CA weather though)

From a grounding out standpoint it depends on how much your car is lowered. My car is lowered and has 5" of clearance with a full tank of gas at approx. the center of the spoiler. I only scrape occasionally. In fact the tow hooks ussually hit worse. The spoiler only sticks down about another 1/2" from the bar which protects the AC condenser.

Check around for a used spoiler, I have bought a couple of them at the swapmeet in good condition for $100. Set it out in the sun before the install as it is a stretch to get it put on. Also, it will be difficult to install the central three nuts/plates. I recommend removing the AC protection bar during install.

Good luck, Cooper

Ok, here are some stats on the aerodymnamics of the 'Duck tail' and the 'tray' Carrera wing.

Info is from Paul Fre're's book "Porsche 911 Story"

The tests were done by Porsche in a wind tunnel and are as follows.

Test car was a 'G series' big bumper car. ('74-'89)

With the Carrera wing and the chin spoiler at max speed Total lift (Cl) is reduced from 397lbs to 38lbs, and total Drag (Cd) is REDUCED by 2%.(This is because the air stays closer to the surface of the car at the rear for a longer period of time, and less turbulance is caused, this is the reason why the roof of the 935's was raised up.)
    Rear lift only: goes from 276lbs to 29lbs

With the Duck tail, only rear lift info is in the book, and is as follows: Lift is reduced from 276lbs to 68lbs (This is a 70% reduction!)

I have an '81 car and installed the chin spoiler first and drove the car for a couple of months. (Couldn't afford to do the wing all in one shot.) Just the chin spoiler made a difference in stabilty at speeds of 75 and up. Especially on long sweeping freeways, the nose of the car remained more stable going over undulations in the road.

I later installed the wing, what a difference again! The rear calmed down and the car is much more stable. I regularly exceed 100mph in the car, and often run it flat out for 5-10 minutes at a time. (My car is also lowered to approx. European height)

I think wings are a personal thing, if you like the lines of a 911 don't mess them up with a wing. Doug is right, aerodynamics really only begin to work at 75mph+, so for daily driving the wing is just there for looks...and sometimes for functionality! I like my wing and the #'s and seat of the pants test say it is working quite nicely.

Probaugh

Yes | No

I'm in the middle of trying to remove my front bumper and lower front valance. I've removed the bumper bellows and the small panel they attach to. Following all of the various books I've removed the front rubber strip and removed the four nuts securing the bumper itself. My problem is that the bumper still just doesn't want to come off. Any special tricks I should try? Am I missing something below??? I've pushed, pulled, tapped and tugged with no luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Registered Member
    Member No: 119494 nu2911 is an unknown quantity at this point nu2911's Avatar

Yes | No

Shawn,

You definitely need the front spoiler. Big difference in stability at speeds. Since you don't have one now, you can get the updated version from (I think) 84 to 89. The fog lights are flushed with the spoiler instead of outside in front. Do lower you car you will notice a handling improvement due to lower center of gravity. Just take you time going over curbs. Do so at an angle. It really isnt that bad. you get used to it after awhile.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information