+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 104360 markbebb is an unknown quantity at this point markbebb's Avatar

Yes | No

Auxiliary Heater - correct use?

I'm a new owner of a 2001 D sport. The auxiliary heater heats the car just fine, but the cooler just seems to blow outside air in. Now that it's warm weather it's not cooling the interiaor at all. Is it supposed to work the A/C unit on the cold setting?

thanks
    Mark

Jim Cash

Yes | No

Re: Auxiliary Heater - correct use?

Assume the following are the processes you mention.

Details are in the manual
    The cooling vent does not use the A/C - how could it? The A/C needs the engine running - not going to happen in an unattended car.

-----------
    Park Ventilation
    - this ventilates an unattended car, for 30 minutes, provided the outdoor temperature is > 16C.
    It does this by controlling the vent flaps and the blower. It is turned on by either:
    - setting timer 1, & or 2, on the clock. ( “Set” for about 30 min before expected time(s) of return ) Red LED > of “BC” key is lit when timer is set.
    - manual activation using the clock & “Vent On” keys ( set when you want ventilation for the next 1- 30 min )

Residual Heat
    - this function keeps the cabin warm, for up to 15 minutes, after
    shutting off the engine.
    It is activated by the “REST” key, provided the outdoor temp. is < 15C and the engine temp. is >70C. It functions without the key in the ignition, but requires the accessory setting if you wish to “adjust” the temperature, vents & blower settings. ( adjustment is not normally required )

Registered Member
    Member No: 51499 jspira is an unknown quantity at this point jspira's Avatar

Yes | No

Jim, is REST an option as I only have seen VENT on my screen. I have used VENT below 15°C (still airs the car out, even in winter).

Freude am Fahren.
    -Jonathan

E39 2003 530i Sport - PP, Bluetooth (!), Phatbox, Sirius, &c.
    E46 2000 328Ci*
    E36 1996 325i*
    E36 1992 325i*
    E30 1991 318is
    E21 1982 320iS*
    E21 1980 320 (6-Zyl)*
    *retired

BMW(space)CCA Member http://www.bmwcca.org/

Registered Member
    Member No: 104360 markbebb is an unknown quantity at this point markbebb's Avatar

Yes | No

souns logical Jim, but the manual says it's a motor powered by the fuel system so I kind of though it may power the A/Cit. As is, it' useless in summer as it just blows warm air in from the outside.

Jim Cash

Yes | No

It is difficult to tell what you actually have. There is an "auxillary heater" option which is only available in some markets (mostly Euro area) which does use a small fuel burner to provide heat when the engine is not running. It is designed for heating a car in cold weather, and can include an optional remote control to be able to turn it on from in the house. It does NOT run the engine - just a heater unit that is located beside the brake reserve unit underneath the left side cabin filter box.

There is another version of this called "latent heat storage" that uses a brine reserve tank (located in front of the firewall on the passenger side) to hold heat and return it quickly to the car when requested - that option is less used - it actually requires a different car body to make room for the tank.

And then there is the very basic feature "REST" that is the norm on the the North American models. All it does is recyle warm coolant from the engine for a short period after you shut down - as described in my previous message.

I suspect you may have the Aux heater. It can also be activated by the timers on the MID.

The summer time feature is called "Park Ventilation" and this is only a vent feature. Again the timers can trigger it - all it does is open the external vent flaps and operate the blower on a lower speed for 30 minutes. Desiged to remove some of the heat from a parked car before you return to it - assuming you know when you will be back and set the timer for that time. You can also activate it manually when sitting in the car by hitting the VENT key on the MID (under the clock program).

The park vent should only operate if he outdoor temp is above 15C, and the aux heater should only operate if the temp is below 15C.

I am not aware of any feature that operates the A/C - other than starting the engine and turning the A/C on.

Cheers
    Jim Cash

Jonathan Spira

Yes | No

Jim, as noted in my earlier post, my car only displays the VENT option, regardless of whether it is above or below 15°C.

Is it possible that REST was not included in newer model years. It is not listed in the brochure, or in the instructions for the high version of the computer.

Jim Cash

Yes | No

I think the "Vent" key is shown on the MID regardless of temperature. As I recall you can activate it manually any time as long as you have the ignition turned to ACC. But the vent will only activate by the timers if the outdoor temp is above 15.

If your car is a 2000 it may be after the time they changed the climate control function and replaced the REST button with a MAX button - which puts the A/C in to max cooling mode without having to hit several other keys.

I "thought" that the REST function was still available using the MAX key when the A/C was not running.
    The outdoor temp would still have to be below 15 and the engine temp above 75 (and engine not running.
    To verify you will have to read your manual further - or check with the dealer.

Cheers
    Jim Cash

Registered Member
    Member No: 89868 540nj is an unknown quantity at this point 540nj's Avatar

Yes | No

correct on 'rest' in 03 540

Pushing the MAX button turns on the REST function in my 03 540. Called 'residual heating mode' in the manual.

dave
    03 540i6

Registered Member
    Member No: 108873 simon311 is an unknown quantity at this point simon311's Avatar

Yes | No

My aux heat does not seem to work. When I hit the REST button, nothing happens, no light or anything, is this common? How to fix and how much?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information