+ Reply to Thread
    Flanders

Yes | No

Help: clogged sunroof drain?

Down pour today. I have a leak in the roof on the drivers side where the roof liner meets the cover between the windshield and drivers door. I even had water coming out of the light above the sun visor!
    Any ideas on what this is from - I have heard some mention a clogged sunroof drain - how can I check the drains, where are they and how do I get the clog out (if this is it)

I have read all the posts about this, but see very little on what was done to fix the problem. How do I determine if I need the updated sunroof seal, or if the drain itself is clogged? (also where in the fender does the drain empty?

This board is a great source of info!

Thanks, Flanders

2000 540 6 speed
    2001 X5

Flanders

Yes | No

anyone???

Jim Cash

Yes | No

Re: Help: clogged sunroof drain?

Should not be the seal.

THe drains are in each corner of the sun roof unit.

The front ones are small holes hidden down in the corners. THere is a white plastic hose connected to each and it goes down behind the A pillar trim and into the front fenders - drains out between the door and the wheel.

It is possible to insert a long flexable wire down the tube from the top - then put some water in the corner and make sure it drains out the bottom of the fender.

It is also possible that the hose has become disconnected, or cracked if it was blocked in winter and froze.

You can easily pull the A pillar trim but to check the connection at the sun roof you need to pull the head liner - that is more of a task.

Cheers
    Jim Cash

Registered Member
    Member No: 59373 jwalther is an unknown quantity at this point jwalther's Avatar

Yes | No

I had the same problem

a couple of months ago. My drains were not clogged. I had a separation of two of the pieces of the sunroof assembly. The shop ended putting some sealer on the area, and I have not had a problem since. You might want to check that if your drains are not clogged.

Jeff

2000 540i/6 (6/99 build date)
    Glacier Green Metallic/Black
    18" Breyton Visions (265/35/18; 235/40/18)
    M5 Rear Sway Bar
    V1 Hardwire
    Ultimate Cupholder
    BMWCCA/Bluegrass Bimmers Member

GMH

Yes | No

Possible Solution To Sunroof Leak

Flanders,

I had the same problem and discovered the culprit. In my case, it was not the sunroof drain, but a seam in the sunroof assembly. To find this seam, open the sunroof all the way. Then take out the wind deflector. On my 2003, you do this by depressing the spring latches where the assembly hinges on the front. After releasing, bring the assembly straight up and turn the wind deflector on its axis. At some point in the "turning" you will be able to remove it from the hinge arms. Please note that the hinge arms can come out, but this is somewhat easier. You will see what I mean by turning the deflector once you look at it.

Next, look inside the plastic sunroof assembly on the side of the car. In front of the hinge arm pivot point, you should notice a seam that runs across the plastic. It is located on the high section of plastic before it dips down to the lower section that drains into the sunroof drain section. The seam runs from left to right.. "Parallel to the front bumper" It is the mating of the front section of the sunroof assembly to the rear portion. It doesn't look like much but in my case, a lot of water was getting into the car. I verified the leak by taking an eye dropper and dropping water on this groove...and it disapeared!!! To fix it, I took some automotive silicone sealant and covered the seam. It solved the problem. I would recommend that you do the other side as well.

In closing, this may or may not be the problem on your car. While you have the sunroof deflector out, you should be able to see any cracks or other potential problem areas.

Soory for not having pictures....hoping my long winded explanation will suffice.

Bad Email Address on File
    Member No: 65615 dpkav is an unknown quantity at this point dpkav's Avatar

Yes | No

Seems like the year 2000 540's are prone to leaking! I too have a 2000 540/6 and experienced a similar leak after a brief rain storm. The stealer (after 3 visits) found a leak in my sunroof cassette (R&R'd), checked the drains(OK)and pronounced the car repaired. The leak, although diminished, continued. Not until I had to have the windshield replaced following an impact with road debris did the leak stop. Apparently the adhesive used to bond the windscreen in place had failed in a small area near the drivers side A pillar. Good luck with getting your repaired.

Registered Member
    Member No: 8262 revhigh is an unknown quantity at this point revhigh's Avatar

Yes | No

Clear out the visual blockage from the drains in the corners of the sunroof. Obviously, the sunroof must be in the fully opened position. Then pour a bit of water into ea. corner to see if the water drains at the four corners. Front will drain behind the two tires and the rear will do the same, in front of the tires. If you do not see water coming out of some or all the drains. You may want
    to use compressed air in order to clear the drains. You MUST be careful though and not use high psi when doing this as you may blow off the drain tubes from within the liner and get internal leaks.

Place a shop rag/towel over the air extension before inserting it into the drain hole. Then squeeze about half way on the trigger to blow air into the drain hole.

Good luck and I hope this helps. We do this for free at the shop.

RevHigh E39 performance parts for sale & more

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Are you ready? shhhhhhhhh, she is sleeping.
    last dyno sheet more to come N/A

Vasco

Yes | No

My e39 was exposed to the latest SoCal downpours and it leaked water into the trunk and rear seat floor. Where could it be coming from?

Registered Member
    Member No: 153102 cn90 is on a distinguished road cn90's Avatar

Yes | No

Here you go

Read this thread, especially thread #33:
    http://www.b---immerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502099&page=2

Registered Member
    Member No: 119706 Bmw540san is on a distinguished road Bmw540san's Avatar

Yes | No

That's a 6 year old question. You probably haven't

noticed. By the way, thank you for your secondary air pump write up. It helped me diagnose bad secondary air pump valve on my wife's 97 528.

1998 BMW 540i 6 speed
    Arctic silver, M sport suspension (euro delivery), prod. date 05/98, non VANOS
    Staggered 18" style 32 OEM wheels
    3.15 open differential
    Remus exhaust
    AFE CAI with improved heat shield
    Z3 shifter
    VDO oil pressure and temperature gauges in place of headlight/fog switches
    Powder coated valve covers-satin black
    CDV delete
    Debadged
    AEA DRL module (aftermarket daytime running lights)

1997 BMW 528iA
    Alpine white, premium package, prod. date 04/97, single VANOS
    Staggered 17" style 32 OEM wheels
    Debadged
    AEA DRL module
    Custom made sun blinds for rear seating area

2000 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner, AKA "The Work Horse"

Garage aids:
    Direct Lift Pro Park 8
    Campbell Hausfeld 28 gallon oil lubricated air compressor
    Newair ACP-1400H portable air conditioner and heater
    Auto Enginuity scan tool with BMW enhanced option
    Actron 9135 scan tool-for quick readouts

Registered Member
    Member No: 17983 horse325es is on a distinguished road horse325es's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Here you go

The guy on b)iimmerfest has the same problem i did but mine started a fire at the lkm. Hes very lucky

Andreas
    Queens NY
    BMWCCA# 186796
    86 325es (wrecked by careless driver)
    87 325 (project for life)
    00 540is 6spd (daily driver)

Registered Member
    Member No: 17983 horse325es is on a distinguished road horse325es's Avatar

Yes | No

pics

Andreas
    Queens NY
    BMWCCA# 186796
    86 325es (wrecked by careless driver)
    87 325 (project for life)
    00 540is 6spd (daily driver)

never does it ;-( Eurodavid
    Member No: never does it ;-(              Eurodavid's Avatar

Yes | No

wow, Andreas, that is nasty looking! Hope mine

Registered Member
    Member No: 153102 cn90 is on a distinguished road cn90's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: That's a 6 year old question. I know but

I was replaying to Vasco post.

eill1968

Yes | No

2003 Cadi CTS sunroof leaks

Quote Originally Posted by Flanders View Post
    Down pour today. I have a leak in the roof on the drivers side where the roof liner meets the cover between the windshield and drivers door. I even had water coming out of the light above the sun visor!
    Any ideas on what this is from - I have heard some mention a clogged sunroof drain - how can I check the drains, where are they and how do I get the clog out (if this is it)

I have read all the posts about this, but see very little on what was done to fix the problem. How do I determine if I need the updated sunroof seal, or if the drain itself is clogged? (also where in the fender does the drain empty?

This board is a great source of info!

Thanks, Flanders

2000 540 6 speed
    2001 X5

My 2003 CTS developed these leaks by the 'A' pillars and headliners. I went to Cadi and they said it's typical of sunroofs!!! They can't figure why people buy them. Great professional answer. They "fixed" the leak areas three times. Now that it's out of warranty and the leaks returned with a vengeance, a friend and I removed the visor screws ( be careful of the electric wire going up to the visor for mirror & garage opener), pulled away the 'A' pillar insulation liner by popping speaker cover and unscrewing screw, and dropped a portion of the headliner. Presto!!! The rubber drain tube that connects to the plastic orifice going into the drain hole at either driver and/or passenger sunroof drains was totally pulled off the orifice. The rubber tube shrunk or was too short to begin with and the CADI dealer stuck some glue on the end and reinserted to orifice by stretching the already too short tub and then securing it with a tie-strap. These items continuously failed with heat, cold, shaking etc. and pulled off again and again. Sure CADI service writer, my sunroof will always be a problem because you didn't take an extra minute and think outside the box. My fix was to take a slightly larger diameter rubber tubing and cut a 2" piece, add some glue cement, insert it over Cadi's tube, and then insert opposite end onto the plastic orifice. 1 1/2 years later not a drop of water at either 'A' pillar or headliner. Reassemble everything in opposite order of disassembly.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 75.60.90.252

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information