+ Reply to Thread
    Dave330ci

Yes | No

2005 M3 or wait for next model?

Dealer told me it was basically too late to order a new 2004 M3, that I'd be better off waiting till September and order a 2005 model. On the other hand, one of the European BMW enthusiast sites published specs for what is supposedly a 2006 model M3; no doubt you've seen it; 4.0L V8, 400 HP, etc.
    Question is, wait 3 months or hold out a year and 3 months for next iteration before buying?

Registered Member
    Member No: 82418 aarons is an unknown quantity at this point aarons's Avatar

Yes | No

05 will look better than 06

Registered Member
    Member No: 72876 hifiguy is an unknown quantity at this point hifiguy's Avatar

Yes | No

you try another dealer?

Date: Status:
    5/01/04 111 Order accepted at AG
    5/05/04 112 Scheduled for Production w/ no prod date
    5/31/04 150 Production started w/ est. 6/8 completion date
    6/07/04 190 Transported to Port of Exit
    6/10/04 193 Arrived at Port of Exit
    6/18/04 195 Shipped from Port of Exit

Registered Member
    Member No: 66279 Corvette77 is an unknown quantity at this point Corvette77's Avatar

Yes | No

I am waiting

Bad Email Address on File
    Member No: 71224 JIO is an unknown quantity at this point JIO's Avatar

Yes | No

New M3 probably won't be here until 2006.....

It's a long wait. The new 3 series supposedly debuts in March, 2005 as a 2006 model. The M3 usually arrives a year later, so figure March, 2006 as a 2007 model arriving in the US about May, 2006. You are thus looking at almost 2 years.

I was at my dealer yesterday checking on my M3 and they told me they have 3 M3 arriving soon, all unsold. You might want to check as to the availability and options.....

BMW of Eugene (Oregon)
    (541) 342-1763 as for Henri and mention my name (Jim Drivas, pronounced "Drive Us"....really, no joke). I've bought 7 BMWs from them in the last 9 years and they are great. I have nothing to gain and I'm not affiliated with the BMW of Eugene, so hopefully this is not spam.

Bad Email Address on File
    Member No: 71224 JIO is an unknown quantity at this point JIO's Avatar

Yes | No

Until _Hell_ freezes over?

Dave330ci

Yes | No

Re: New M3 probably won't be here until 2006.....

I'm looking for a minimalist car - just the go-fast goodies. In fact, the only options I want are:
    metallic paint
    xenon headlights
    HK stereo
    SMG transmission
    Dealer says nobody orders them like that; they tend to check off every option. I know that with my current E46 I did that; but being the only driver, how often will I use the power seat adjustments? And cloth seats are grippier than leather, even if it looks nicer (and is murder on hot days!)

Registered Member
    Member No: 63222 4thm3 is an unknown quantity at this point 4thm3's Avatar

Yes | No

many on this board ordered w/o sunroof

dealers are full of it when they say that they always check off every option. True, its probably easier to sell w/ a sunroof, but order-to-spec cars can be ordered w/out one (esp since its an option- unlike the situation on the e36m3)

Registered Member
    Member No: 86205 mspeed76 is an unknown quantity at this point mspeed76's Avatar

Yes | No

more like 2007/2008

Registered Member
    Member No: 24614 Lazlo is an unknown quantity at this point Lazlo's Avatar

Yes | No

Until he is old enough to drive.

Dave330ci

Yes | No

Re: many on this board ordered w/o sunroof

Just got another call - they don't get allocation until July and the plant is shut August. When it re-opens, they start production on 325's (makes sense; that's the volume car), and there's no car either on any other dealer's lot or in process and not paid for in advance (built to order) on the computer so I would pretty much have to get a 2005 model. I'll say one thing for my dealer; they don't try to press on you whatever they have in stock (all loaded, of course!); they depend heavily on repeat customes so they want you to leave happy...
    So is it worth buying the 2005 only to have it obsoleted in a year and a half by the V8 and then taking 2 depreciations or waiting?

Registered Member
    Member No: 46769 mike_m3 is on a distinguished road mike_m3's Avatar

Yes | No

the odds on a new m3 being available in 06 are

I would bet early 07 at best. E90 coupes will not likely be here until late 05 or early 06 so the M3 will be behind by some time - it always is and its always behind schedule. JMHO but I'd wager on it.
    On the depreciation thing look at what 98/99 M3's are going for today (these were $45K cars new - still getting well over 50% after 5 years). While the E46 will likely take a bit of a hit just like the E36 did when the E90 comes out I doubt it will be substantial especially since you can be sure the E90 will be more money and in very tight supply for the first couple of years of production anyway (assuming it lives up to its performance heritage and its not too badly bangled - later being a BIG assumption).
    There are plenty of dealers with either cars on the lot or with open allocations - your dealer sounds like a real work of art.

Go To BMWM3.org!

Registered Member
    Member No: 63222 4thm3 is an unknown quantity at this point 4thm3's Avatar

Yes | No

every1's situation diff'n. in your case, buy used

Buying late in the production run always has that buyer's remorse potential when the next version comes out. But if you always wait for the next great thing, you will never buy. Enjoy while you can is what i say. But if finances are tight & you don't want to suffer the hit because you are certain you will buy the new v8 version immediately, just buy a nice used M3, either an e36 or e46.

OTOH, buying cars early in the production run has the risk of bugs (like the early S54 engines from 10/01-2/02 production). Thats why i like to buy the 2nd yr of a new version... and i had a 12/01 production before i replaced it w/ a 4/02 production.

Dave330ci

Yes | No

Re: every1's situation diff'n. in your case, buy u

Exactly! I wouldn't buy the first year of pretty much anything for that reason. On the other hand, with a car like an M3 which can be so easily (and expensively) damaged by abuse, buying used is playing Russian Roulette. Especially since the dealer is asking roughly new-car prices for late-model used E46s...
    Maybe I should widen my search window... Okay, I'll spring for the leather seats!

Registered Member
    Member No: 87843 johnww is an unknown quantity at this point johnww's Avatar

Yes | No

You are saying cloth is hotter on hot days than

Registered Member
    Member No: 87843 johnww is an unknown quantity at this point johnww's Avatar

Yes | No

Agreed'05WillLookBetterThan'06,But Don'tThink

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information