+ Reply to Thread
    robertfyfe

Yes | No

z3 front bumper alignment

The front bumper on my 2000 z3 2.3 has been pushed in and is still in about 1/2 inch on the drivers side. Right side looks OK. Is there a way that I can shim or adjust the left side forward to properly realign the bumper? Does the bumper shock need replacement? How do you get the bumper off?

Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 69391
    Inner Circle ©135 since: Mar 28, 2005 bimmer2.8 is an unknown quantity at this point bimmer2.8's Avatar

Yes | No

most Zs have this problem, but not 1/2

it is adjustable. try pulling that side alittle first. Jesus rides a white horse!!

I'm sure He'd ride these 189!!

Inner Circle ©135 since: Mar 28, 2005 bimmer2.8 is an unknown quantity at this point bimmer2.8's Avatar

Yes | No

but not 1/2\" gap, mine is slight on the passengers

side of the car. sorry for the double post, i hit the enter key on accident. i have tried to adjust mine and it didn\'t work well. i just live with it and it isn\'t that bad.Jesus rides a white horse!!

robertfyfe

Yes | No

Re: but not 1/2

My wife hit a curb and the lip of the spoiler took the blow. Nothing cracked or got scratched and most people would not see it right away. I would like to try to get it right but can't see how to get to the bumper attachements.

Yes | No

the bumper cover comes off first then the bumper

you have to pull off the expanding rivots that hold it to the the bumper and all the screws underneath the car. you will figure it out. once the bumper cover is off, then you will see the big metal bumper underneath what you just took off. i am not really sure what you are trying to adjust, but if it is just the cover you porbably wont have to take it all the way off. good luck.Jesus rides a white horse!!

Registered Member
    Member No: 40215 DaneKane is an unknown quantity at this point DaneKane's Avatar

Yes | No

have you removed the splashwell?....then you can..

begin to correct the positioning...the bumper cover is aligned left and right by a three bolted hanger that is attached to the sheetmetal on each side...it's covered up when the splashwell is attached..if you put your hand into th e well at the 10 o'clock postion you should be able to feel the squarish bulge of the well that covers the fitting...REMOVE the splashwell..note any broken or damaged screw fixtures(littl' ol plastic bits that hold the screws to sheetmetal)replace as necessary...the rear of the splashwell is secured by two 10mm nylon nuts(nynuts?)...at the very bottom of the well ,right above floorpan...I've found it's best to remove all holding fixtures and then pull down on the forward portion of the splashwell while twisting outward...it's tricky but easier to do than to describe...the rear portion will pop out..but may need some added effort...once the well s-well is out you can deal with the hanger.. it has some adjustment in all four directions...yours may be broken and need replacment..though just as likely sheetmeatal is slightly tweeked..you won't know till you get there...it takes some trial and error to adjust(let the fun begin!)...perfect adjustment may only be achieved by doing both sides at same time!(two times the fun!)...problems which be present: hanger may be broken or cracked(replace)...or attaching nuts may be etched into bracket(replace)....once you've secured the hanger bracket into best position..re-attach splashwell(s)...if adjustment DOESN'T solve alignment..then either 1) sheetmetal is slightly bent or 2) Bumper(it's just lightweight al)is out of align or slightly bent..bumper height adjustment is through underside access holes..using 14mm hex tool...have fun! dk '97 2.8 bg R

robertfyfe

Yes | No

Re: have you removed the splashwell?....then you c

Thanks Dane

Can you further define what is the splashwell? Is that the same as the bumper cover?

Registered Member
    Member No: 40215 DaneKane is an unknown quantity at this point DaneKane's Avatar

Yes | No

Splashwell is the black polyethelene liner of ...

..your wheelwell...where your tires are located...lots of vehicles no longer have these..but our well engineered Z3's do(of course!)you could also call then "fender splashwells" and that would not be incorrect though not what BMW calls them....hope this helps! dk '97 2.8 bg R(ps..no, it's not the bumper cover..)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information