+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 109794 kate3721 is an unknown quantity at this point kate3721's Avatar

Yes | No

"Hood Latch Fail" on Convertible '97 XK8

I went to put up the top on my Jag this morning and it got as far as almost closing (1/2 to go) and an error "Hood Latch Fail" showed up on my dash.

The back windows are also still down. Now, of course, the roof will not open or close - nothing. No noise of it even trying to do something about it.

I drove agonizingly slow to work (so not to cut off my breathing from the wind tunnel it created) and took it into my local Jaguar Dealership (Monte Shelton).

I was wondering if anyone else had had this problem and what had caused it and how much it cost to fix it! I would like to know some sort of ballpark so I don't get sticker shock when they call me later tonight :-)

Thank you
    Kathryn

Registered Member
    Member No: 109794 kate3721 is an unknown quantity at this point kate3721's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Hood Latch Fail

when i said (1/2 to go) I meant 1/2 an inch to go til it had latched. I must proof read my posts! :-)

Registered Member
    Member No: 102299 Ronnj is an unknown quantity at this point Ronnj's Avatar

Yes | No

Re:

Kathryn,

The same thing happened to me when my 2000 XK8 was one year old. The dealer had to reset or adjust a switch and/or contact through the access hole for emergency closing of the roof (hood). It took about 1/2 hour of work. No parts had to be replaced. It was under warranty so there was no charge. It has been fine since.

Prior to that happening, the warning that I had a hood latch failure popped up intermittently while the car was in motion, even though the hood was opening and closing properly. I was going to have the dealer check it but then it failed completely until he did the reset/adjustment. I guess something was slightly out of adjustment since assembly at the factory.

Ron

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Re:

Thank you Ron for the info! Im not under warranty, but if not parts are replaced I can cross my fingers on the cost!

This car keeps making me spend money. I adore it but the problems it has are not good :-( I was one of the poor people whose timing chains went up in smoke!

Kathryn

Registered Member
    Member No: 102299 Ronnj is an unknown quantity at this point Ronnj's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Re:Resolution

Kathryn,

Good luck! Hopefully it is only an adjustment also for you. Please keep us informed as to how the problem was fixed.

Ron

Registered Member

Yes | No

Well apparently the problem was the fluid in the convertible top - a problem I had heard about on the older models. My unofficial term for it is that it had turned "goopy". SO they flushed it out and put in nnew fluid and it is working just fine now. Unfortunately that cost me a nice $372.

Kathryn

Max

Yes | No

You got ripped off. Just lettin' you know. They reset the electronics (that was your only problem). This took maybe 15 seconds. Then, they decided they needed to make it worth their while so they did the flush. Not to say you couldn't use a flush also; but, it just doesn't cause a "latch fail"......EVER. Not possible.

Registered Member
    Member No: 85821 LotusJPS is an unknown quantity at this point LotusJPS's Avatar

Yes | No

I would disagree with it being electronics. I had the same thing happen to my car. What happens is that the latch does not open completely before the top starts pressing on it. When that happens is does just what Kathryn describes, absolutely nothing. To resolve it enough to drive all you need to do is open the line on the pump and use the allen wrench (fastened next to the pump) to manually open the latch. The stem of the problem is as Kathryn said, that the fluid solidifies in the latch mechanism, and needs flushed with the newer fluid. Rather than take my car to Monte Shelton (also my local dealer) who quoted me $400 over the phone, I did it my self for a cost of $15 for the fluid (Monte Shelton wanted $47 for the same container of fluid).

Vic

Yes | No

Although it is possible for any of the five micoswitches to fail, rarely does this cause a latch failure. Usually it causes the top to either not open at all or to not close.

Difficult to diagnose for sure unless you are there.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information