+ Reply to Thread
    ctx Litlematchgirl

Yes | No

What happens if tie rods break?

My local shop said the tie rods on my 1985 318i are going bad and if they go I will lose all steering control. Is that accurate? I have to go on vacation and don't have time to fix them. Should I rent a car, or has my shop exaggerated?

LMG

Registered Member
    Member No: 26717 dakar2m is an unknown quantity at this point dakar2m's Avatar

Yes | No

if the tie rod completely breaks off

yes you will have very little or no steering control and the wheel will just flop around.

took me 40mins to swap out both sides.

Rick Kim member of CRS Club
    368S/1
    02 330ia
    Team Dork Racing #2

'00 Dakar Duck CRS Edition

Fear the DUCK! :D

Registered Member
    Member No: 86276 MG_TN is an unknown quantity at this point MG_TN's Avatar

Yes | No

Believe them. I dropped one on an old '76

Cutlass one time - not a fun feeling at all. Thankfully I was on a side road going about 30 mph, and not on the interstate doing 75. Replace them, or rent a car.
    -----------------------
    89 Bronzitbeige 325iC
    157,000 miles
    BMWCCA# 327134

David

Yes | No

Re: What happens if tie rods break?

If one breaks as one of mine did two night ago, you loose 100% steering control. Your choice but I'd replace or use another car. Usually the joints get worn but in my case, the LH rod itself, simply sheered into two leaving me totally out of control. Happily I'd just started to move. Ten minutes later & I'd have been on the highway & if lucky, had somebody calling for an ambulance. BTW, the car has no other damage & has always had BMW servicing. My guees is that the part had a flaw in the metal. Serious stuff!
    Regards
    David (in southern Spain with 5 Series 530TD)

Registered Member
    Member No: 137192 pete90 is an unknown quantity at this point pete90's Avatar

Yes | No

i didnt even think that was possible.........

ive worked on a 325 that skidded off the road and the car was lodged on top off bolders!oh, did i mention the car has H&R lowering springs? the tie rod was bent 90 degrees. i could never imagine a tie rod breaking from normal driving, or spirited driving. if it didnt break while flying like superman across sharp bolders, it shouldnt break while driving, just my opinion from what ive seen. maybe your mechanic saw something that needs to be addressed? i dunno, but they are real easy to replace, just change out the entire assembly, they are only $30-40. all you need is a hammer, metric ratchet set, and a adjustable wrench, and 20 minutes of time.

nancy boy

Yes | No

the front wheels would no longer be connected

to each other, and they would go whereever they wanted to. you would lose all directional control of the car. bad times. they dont often fail though. just to be on the safe side and if you can afford it have the shop replace them. i think they're probably trying to scare you into it, but you'll neve know if you cant jack it up and see for yourself.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information