+ Reply to Thread
    Tim

Yes | No

Update on My Brand New Lemon - BMW 330cic

I posted a message here a few months ago concerning my brand new BMW 330cic which I purchased in March '04. That posting listed all the issues I've had with this brand new car, including having it towed 3 times, spending more time in the service department than on the road and the non-responsiveness of the GM of this Maryland BMW dealership (BMW VOB). Can you believe a new clutch and various new motors for a car with less than 1,500 miles?

Here's the update! Since then, BMW North America has contacted me and set up an inspection of the issues I had to deal with. Surprisingly, or not, a related issue has popped up! Of course, another trip back to the service department and another "one time" problem to replace another motor.

The ironic thing is that I asked for the contact information of the customer service manager responsible for making decisions on "lemons" - perhaps trading my lemon in for a real car. The response was: "sorry, we don't give out that information and sorry, but we hope you don't run into anymore problems."

This is ridiculous! Potential buyers be aware! Those considering buying a BMW, I would offer other options. Those considering doing business with BMW VOB, DON'T! I have had an Audi TT now for 4 years, great car, great performance, not a single problem!

I'm just getting the information out to you and have already convinced a few collegues not to purchase BMW's. Try a Mercedes, or even a Toyota, they are more reliable and won't cost you towing fees.

Registered Member
    Member No: 39390 Edgeman is an unknown quantity at this point Edgeman's Avatar

Yes | No

Looking at Consumer Reports, you have the

exception, not the rule for BMWs. The E46 BMW is probably the highest rated car in it's class for consumer satisfaction. Sorry you picked up a lemon. Hopefully BMW NA will do the right thing and exchange it for another one.

Cheers!
    John
    85 M635CSi
    88 M3

Registered Member
    Member No: 89831 oiseaux is an unknown quantity at this point oiseaux's Avatar

Yes | No

I stopped reading Consumer Reports several...

... decades ago. They had a two new-car comparison in the LAST issue that I read:
    Opel (something) vs BMW 1600. As I had just purchased a brand-new \'69 BMW 1600, I was interested in what they had to say, that is, until I read it.
    Consumer Report rated the Opel (nothing) better in almost every category and was further a little disparaging with their commentary on the BMW.
    I realized then that they didn\'t know what they were talking about, cancelled my subscription, and to this day, particularly enjoy the sound it makes when sending their snailmail solicitations through my shredder.
    In fairness, maybe they have gotten better since then, but I personally doubt it.

Tim, As far as BMWs go, I have owned at least one ever since then. Insofar as BMWNA is concerned maybe you need to approach them through a \"junkyard dog\" lawyer. They have been known to steer the conversation in the manner desired. Mostly, we don\'t hear about BMW lemons because when a settlement is agreed to, BMWNA requires the owner to sign a non-disclosure agreement as a part of the settlement.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, Tim, and I hope that you get some kind of satisfaction soon.
    Good luck.

BimmerShifter since 1969; currently
    '82 733i 5-spd

'93 850CiA

Registered Member
    Member No: 19604 TrevK is an unknown quantity at this point TrevK's Avatar

Yes | No

Find our what the lemon law is, see if it applies.

TrevK
    98 528i Oxford Green
    94 525i Oxford Green < F350 T-boned. Ouch.

Registered Member
    Member No: 14380 caylan is an unknown quantity at this point caylan's Avatar

Yes | No

I luv bimmers but...

having to deal w/ the dealership network & BMWNA makes me hesitant to purchase future BMW products.

I do routine maitenance with friends & family but I am scared if the more technical stuff pops up & BMW decides to hang me out to dry.

Unfortunately, my BMW is a weekend car. Yes ,I am depriving myself from enjoyment but then the flip side could be like yours.

Sorry for your troubles...

Registered Member
    Member No: 24089 jimarnett is an unknown quantity at this point jimarnett's Avatar

Yes | No

Consumer Reports is My Bible

BUT, you have to remember that their market is the white shirt, blue tie engineer market. (I fit in all catagories, but am a practicing looney just to defeat the stereotype)

What is of most benefit to me are the "Frequency of Repair" charts. In fact, they're what drove (pun) me to look at BMW e28's. They (the charts) reflect nothing but surveys of people who own the cars. No opinions whatsoever.

Did you know that, after 5 years of ownership, there is only one German brand that scores up with the Japanese brands? Yup, BMW. (You knew I was going to say that, didn't you? :-)

Audi and Mercedes are way, way down; somewhere south of even Chevy, Ford and Chrysler.

Jim in Westminster

Registered Member
    Member No: 89831 oiseaux is an unknown quantity at this point oiseaux's Avatar

Yes | No

Sorry to hear, but... whatever floats your boat!

BimmerShifter since 1969; currently
    '82 733i 5-spd

'93 850CiA

Jen

Yes | No

Re: Update on My Brand New Lemon - BMW 330cic

Tim:
    I know exactly what you are going trough. Back in 2002 I bought a 33oci conv. Ever since I drove it home there were problems. Now I'v ehad my car for exactly 20 months. The problems got so bad that I finally did something about it. I wrote a certified letter to bmw Nort america Stating that they had 10 days to fix my car or I was going to be forced to take legal action. I also stated my inconvienance and problems with the car. Right now I am in the process of waiting for my brand new 2004 330 ci conv. Which they are giving to me with no additional cost for me. You need to fight for what you want. Do not give up. Do what i did. Good Luck !

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information