+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    xm909

Yes | No

Just in case, there is a DIY Window Regulator

repair at www.*******.com

Here is the article link:
    http://www.*******.com/articles.php?action=viewarticle&artid=75

There are a bunch collection of FAQ and articles re: the X5.

All the original old timer Roadfly X5ers are there as well! :)

Check it out!

xm909

Yes | No

go to www.*******.com search for window regulator

article and you shall see wonderful pictures and a do-it-yourself which is more than you'll find over here.

Mike Sheridan

Yes | No

Re: I'll take pictures tonight and post

Have ahd window regulator problems my self. Both time they were the passenger side regulators, front and back. Come on BMW fess up you have crap for parts and worse customer service!

Sachs

Yes | No

Re: is it possible to reinforce the part

2002 X5
    1- Driver regulator gave out.
    2- Passenger front about 2 weeks later
    3- Passenger rear 4 weeks later.

For rear, I broke down and paid the dealer to fix because the window wouldn't stay up. I am trying to figure out how to modify the part to work better. Someone suggested that the parts break when the door is slammed with the windows down. Hmm, I don't know. If I successfully modify and get them working properly, I will post what I did. This weekend will be the last time I peel the doors apart for this BS, if I don't succeed, I will go to the stealer and buy replacement and never use my windows.

Registered Member
    Member No: 150580 jazzyga is an unknown quantity at this point jazzyga's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: window regulator class-action?

I had 2 of my window regulators replaced. The rear one just dropped one day and I had to bring it back to the dealer to repair, fortunately for me I had an extended warranty that covered it. I also have a 2001 X-5 4.4.

Registered Member
    Member No: 120158 Dr.Crazy is an unknown quantity at this point Dr.Crazy's Avatar

Yes | No

Anybody home at BMWNA? Dealer warning!

Hello BMWNA, but for a different reason.

Beware of Irvine BMW in SoCal, USA. My A/C was not cooling, I figured the freon was low. They came up with total BS reason, they had to pull my dash board out to fix the heater core. only $4500. When I said no, they managed to cut a $1000 of the bill. In the process they recharged the a/c and now it is fine. A few months later, and nearing the end of my extended warrantee, I had a dash light bulb burn out. the others were fine. The same dealer said they had the replace the entire circuit board, only for $1200. I went to an independent BMW shop who said you NEVER pull a dashboard for a start, and replaced the burned out bulb for $100 bucks. A once busy dealership, where I bought my 2002 X5 is now almost a ghost town. No wonder. What good is the extended warrantee I purchased if the dealership is so blantent
    a rip off?

Barry @ [email protected]

robertplattbell

Yes | No

SIMPLE DIY REPAIR!

This is a ridiculously simple repair that anyone can do with basic hand tools.

The problem I had with my car was the driver's side window would drop and then not go up (it would jam in place). I could get it to go up if I wedged a screwdriver in the slot to get the windown "back on track" and then it would go up, for the time being.

So long as the window never went ALL THE WAY DOWN, it never fell out of the track. I kept a screwdriver in the driver's door pocket for a month or so.

But I got tired of this quickly and attacked the problem (as opposed to WHINING ABOUT IT).

First, I removed the door panel. There are torx screws behind the upper trim and speaker cover, and snaps at the lower edge.

Next, I inspected the mechanism. Two rails go up the center of the window, with "trollies" (I call them) riding these rails. They are CABLE driven, which is somewhat unusual compared to old school.

They attach to the lower edge of the window through two holes in the glass using barrel nuts and bolts with a plastic clip.

The problem was evident - the plastic clip cracked and fell off, disengaging one "trolly" from the window. Only one "trolly" was raising and lowering the window, causing it to cockeye and jam sometimes.

I thought about ordering a new clip, but since I had the car apart and Pelican takes a week for delivery, I looked around the shop for a temporary fix so I could drive the car.

I found a number of plastic washers leftover from a truck tailgate mat installation (similar to bedliner washers). They are basically plastic fender washers about an inch in diameter. After drilling out the center hole to fit the barrelt nut, it fit right in place and held the window to the trolly just fine.

Don't overtighten, or you may crack the window. Use locktite blue on the threads.

This "temporary" repair has lasted well over a year with no problems. Total time: about an hour. Total cost: 20 cents.

IF YOU OWN A BMW OUT OF WARRANTY, BE HANDY WITH TOOLS OR SUFFER ACCORDINGLY.

PERIOD.

If you are not handy with tools, prepare to suffer, even with a good indepenent mechanic!

If you can't change a light bulb without cross-threading it (attention: political science and psychology majors!) then SELL YOUR BMW AND BUY A TOYOTA.

Old BMWs are NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART!

I am an Automotive Engineer as well as a Lawyer. You ain't got a case, I'm afraid, IMHO.

Registered Member
    Member No: 167277 treztark6 is an unknown quantity at this point treztark6's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: window regulator class-action? built to fail .

Both my rear windows had regulators fail (2001) , weird considering I use the rear windows very rarely. This part is built to purposely fail. Just another way for the dealers to cash in on parts and service.

Krap 5's suck compared to bmw sedans.

...what happened to the good old bmw high quality?

eirc

Yes | No

driver side front and passenger side rear regulators died within two weeks of this month Sep 08. mine is an 03 X5 4.4I with 61k mileage now.
    the repair was covered by extended warranty but have to pay $50 for each shop visit.

Registered Member
    Member No: 112146 mdkles is an unknown quantity at this point mdkles's Avatar

Yes | No

Can you post pictures?? PLEASE

1990 525i
    2001 X5 4.4
    2005 X5 4.4
    2006 X3 3.0

robertplattbell

Yes | No

OK, because you said PLEASE

I just fix the door handle and window regulator on my 2002.

Total parts cost: About $90.

Labor: About 2 hours.

Tools: What you'd find in one of those "all in one" tool kits from the local home improvement store. Make sure it has torx bits (most do these days).

I have the window regulator clips on order from Pelican, but as you can see, any large flat washer will do. A rubber backing or some other flexible material probably would help. You could also replace the stock bolts with replacement metrics from the local hardware store.

I used a plastic flat washer last time (from a truck bedliner install kit) but it eventually cracked and shattered.

HINT: Americans LOVE to SLAM CAR DOORS. European car doors will close with a gentle touch. Your window regulators will last longer if you don't slam the doors (and ask your friends not to) and also if they are not slammed when halfway down (most vulnerable).

I'm not kidding. I've seen Ameicans windup to slam a car door like they are pitching the world series - with one leg off the ground and throwing their whole upper body into it. Perhaps an old Chevy requires such heroic efforts, but for a BMW, it just damages the door.

FWIW. Good Luck.

robertplattbell

Yes | No

Trips to the dealer?

If you are going to own a BMW out of warranty, get this "trips to the dealer" idea out of your mind right now. You'll go broke.

This same thing comes up in other BMW forums. Once these cars are 6, 7, 8 years old and more, you have to either be handy with tools or know a good independent mechanic.

Oftentimes it is only the attachment clip that breaks. A $2 part and not hard to fix yourself. Pelican has 100 in stock, and that tells you something right there.

Simple hand tools are all that is required. The hardest part is getting the door panel off.

There are many folks who have no busines owning older BMWs.

When they break (not "if", WHEN) they are not cost-effective to repair at dealer prices.

Such folks should buy or lease new cars and leave the older BMWs to others.

Seriously.

If you love working on cars, as I do, these are fun cars to own, as they are easy to work on.

On the other hand, if changing a light bulb seems like an esoteric task best left to "experts" sell your BMW and buy a Toyota - you will be much happier.

FWIW!

robertplattbell

Yes | No

YES, in part

One of the failure modes is the plastic clip that attaches the window to the trolly on the cable track. This can be fixed using a metal fender washer, a rubber backing washer and a new bolt. Don't overtighten or you'll crack the window. It also is a good temporary fix (that may be permanent) if you don't have the replacement clip in stock.

The trollies themselves can crack and fall off the track. In that case, you'll have to replace the whole assembly. Uless the trolly is aluminum and you can heli-arc it, I don't think it is repairable.

SLAMMING THE DOOR with the window halfway down seems hurt. Whenever mine has cracked a clip, it was after doing this. Close gently. This is a European car, not a Chevy Lumina.

FYI, If you visit Europe, you will piss off your hosts if you slam their car doors, American style. European cars traditionally are smaller and have thinner and more delicate doors. Europeans are not used to the American Car Door Slam and will give you odd looks (if not chastise you) if you do this to their Renault or whatever.

Go gentle on X5 doors and they probably will last longer. This goes DOUBLE for the hatch. The license plate light holder is NOT A HANDLE. Use the interior grab holes for closing (as intended). If you yank on the license plate light holder, it will break, eventually.

FWIW.

Nick

Yes | No

The only thing we can do is vent... I have a 2001 X5 and I have replaced ALL of my window regulators over the past 5 years and one I have replaced twice, all at apx. $300 each. Do the math. Anyway, I contacted BMW about the issue and they stated they have not received an over abundance of complaints regarding the regulators. (I beg to differ. How can I be one of the only ones with poor regulators?)
    The agent said that because there is not a BMW dealer/mechanic in my area and I had to have another dealer order and install the part, they could not assist me with the cost of the last regulator.

However, be aware that they MAY offer some assistance if you contact them and have had an "over abundance" of issues with them and have had (or have) your work done at the dealer. Yes, even if it is an older model.

I have a feeling another one will go out soon. As an owner who has had these issues, I have begun to predict these things.

Other than this issue, it's been a great ride. I will put up with the window problems...for now.

robertplattbell

Yes | No

Order Spares

Pelican had 100 of these clips in stock, and I ordered four of them, using two on the door and saving the rest in my box of "extra plastic small clips".

You will need, over time, spare door panel clips, as well as the brown clips that hold the rubber gasket to the bottom of the door. Since these are only a few cents apiece, it makes sense to order a fistfull of them, given the shipping costs.

The door panel can come off in about 10 minutes, once you get good at it. ;)

Good Luck!

robertplattbell

Yes | No

Never put the window halfway down & slam the door

Aggie

Yes | No

i have my 2001 X5 that have 3 window regulator replaced and i brought extented warranty on it. so each time is a $100 out of my pocket. it is a joke...the dealer told me i just have bad luck. what can we do about this? any one has suggestion?

Jamie Brown

Yes | No

I'm with you Tom on the class action law suit against BMW over these window regulators. I've had them fail 10 times on my 323i and currently have a broken window. I'm also getting water in my car because the vapor barriers were cut to fix the windows. I've tried having that fixed and I'm still getting water in my car. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get a class action going against BMW.

BMTucson

Yes | No

I've had 4 window regulators fail on 3 windows on my 2002 X5. My friend has had 4 on his x5. I am interested in joining a class-action. I know a class-action lawyer and, if enough people let me know if they want to join, I'll look into it. I have sues other large companies (eg. Walgreen's) before.

Robert Platt Bell

Yes | No

Once again, sorry to break it to you......

Class Action attorneys want big payouts. That means they want a client base of MILLIONS of people to make it work.

BMW maybe made a few hundred thousand of these cars, and the 99 cent clips breaking on a few of them is not enough to make it profitable for them for a class-action suit.

This is not a hard repair to do, either. See my links below.

If you want everything "covered" they buy an extended warranty from BMW.

Otherwise, you assume the risk. Learn how to fix your car or find a good independent BMW mechanic. DO NOT take an out-of-warranty car to a dealer.

Again, slamming the doors on this car is unnecessary. Let the door go, and gravity will close it. TRY IT AND SEE!

Most Americans slam their car doors VERY HARD as they are used to crappy American made cars (which need to be slammed or they never close).

Slamming the doors on these cars, particularly with the windows halfway down, will break the clips on the doors. No slamming = no breaking.

Sorry, but dream on about this class action nonsense. People have been whining about this and the supposed transfer case flaw for over FIVE YEARS NOW. See any class action suit being filed yet?

Nope. And you ain't gonna see one, either.

This sort of sniveling talk makes me ashamed to be an American. Stop being a WHINER! Buck up. Be a man, for chrissakes!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information