+ Reply to Thread
    Pat Allen

Yes | No

opinions wanted: 175hp on a m10 with 14psi. (long

Hi, i dont post here that much often. I would like to get inputs about why i am getting low results.
    I have a healty m10 into a 1976 02, compresion is 140 psi, even on all 4. head is fully ported, but not flow benched.
    Turbo is a garret t-3 with .63 a/r and 60 trim compressor wheel.
    header is a homemade equal lenght header. Pistons are custom fit, not forged (not yet $$$)
    Intercooler is 2 mazda mx6 cores, welded together.
    Intercooler outlet temperatuer rarely reach more than 30 degres, on normal temp days wich is 20-28 deg. here in Quebec.

Air piping is 2 3/4 inches to a 63 mm throtle body, on a ported 318 manifold.
    Fueling come from top green ford injectors, rated at 30 lbs/hr of delivery, trigered by a SDS EM4F programmable fuel injection. duty cycle never goes more than 85%.

I am getting low hp numbers with that much boost, i was expecting like 220-250 hp, i did many runs with a G-TECHpro accelerometer and it gives average 174.7 hp at 4724 rpm and 200lbs-ft at 4560 rpm. It pikes at 4300rpm. I guess i could swap my turbine housing for a .48 a/r instead of the .63, could give peak power at a lower rpm and give a more flat power curve??
    Timing is set at 10 inital up to 28, with maximum of 12 retard under boost.
    I did 2 specific runs, with the mixture knob adjusted at +8% and the other at 0% and did compare them, not significant changes.

Any inputs would be very appreciated.
    can e-mail me direct for better inputs/questions.

Thanks,
    Pat Allen

Pat Allen

Yes | No

here is a caption of the g-tech dyno graph

Thanks for any inputs/comments,

Pat Allen

Registered Member
    Member No: 8387 johnfuston is an unknown quantity at this point johnfuston's Avatar

Yes | No

GTech Pro gives average, not peak HP, Pat...

So... you may actually be getting the 220+ HP at the crank that you desire...
    - John

BMWCCA #288391
    '92 850iA
    '00 R1100RT

Pat Allen

Yes | No

Re: GTech Pro gives average, not peak HP, Pat...

ok, good to know.
    My bug is that it was telling me 210hp before the addition of the intercooler with higher boost and the SDS unit (before, it was a Ford EEV IV unit from a XR4TI).
    Maybe just because the electrical of the car is messed up with the sds, it dont calibrate well...

Thanks for the input

Pat Allen

Darby Dog

Yes | No

The best way to get a good HP graph ...

when using the Gtech is to ease the car through first and second and shift into third at a low RPM, then smoothly roll into full throttle and let the car pull through the entire RPM range. This procedure will give a clean result for the full power band, and is best for comparison purposes. Do your acceleration runs separately. You may also try the runs in second instead of third, see what works best with your setup. But with a screaming little car, third may give the most consistent results, although wind resistance will have a greater impact on the peak readings in third.

Pat Allen

Yes | No

thanks for that input, interesting !!

Registered Member
    Member No: 62564 aximx5 is an unknown quantity at this point aximx5's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: opinions wanted: 175hp on a m10 with 14psi. (l

Pat, Nice setup! My gtech, which is just the basic model, gives low numbers, even when you figure in drivetrain loss, due to the fact that there is wind resistance and you wont get HP numbers from a first gear run which would be the only way to keept he wind resistance to a minimum. As for why your numbers dropped after the intercooler and different FI, probably a tuning issue.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information