+ Reply to Thread
    Keager

Yes | No

any Calgarians running straight pipes

just wondering if anyone has removed their catylitic converter and is running straight pipes around here. I'm driving an 86' 535i and my cat is plugged causing some major problems. i've searched all over for a decent used one (no luck) and i'm not paying for a new one(student income),and all the decent aftermarket ones supposedly only last like 6 months. i figure i may go straight pipes, but i'm just wondering about the fines and that. i imagine it'd be hard to get caught. does anyone have any input from anywhere in Canada. or if you live in Calgary and happen to have an extra one sitting around drop me an email. thanks.

Registered Member
    Member No: 29953 BMWguy22 is an unknown quantity at this point BMWguy22's Avatar

Yes | No

I think you should be fine with straight pipes

just as long as you have a reasonably good muffler.
    take care, and great seein you at the show!
    Stanley

walden101

Yes | No

Re: any Calgarians running straight pipes

I bought an 88 635 running straight pipes four weeks ago and all seems well. Good luck.

Keager

Yes | No

how loud is your car without a cat?

i have ordered a cat from tunerworks for $375 (ouch), but i'm still considering going straight pipe. i'm just woried about how loud it might be. i've got a 3 or four inch diameter chrome tip on the end that already creates a nice throaty sound. i figure i'll cut out the cat and buy some pipe, then clamp it in there for the time being until i can weld it. is that what was basicly done with your six? thanks for the responses guys. the e28 forum wasn't much help.

Registered Member
    Member No: 109918 walden101 is an unknown quantity at this point walden101's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: how loud is your car without a cat?

It's not loud. No louder than my '88 535 was with the Cat on. Maybe it's a little louder than it was before, but I can't tell you that since I bought the car with the straight pipes on.1988 Alpine White 635 CSi

Craig

Yes | No

Re: any Calgarians running straight pipes

I have an 84 533i with Dinan free flow exhaust and no cat here in Calgary. I like the slightly throatier sound than stock. As for fines, when they shutdown the Harley's with straight pipes they will then head for the Civic's with the soup cans. The e28 is nowhere near as loud.

BTW, you may have been parked next to me at **********? I am horrible with names, sorry.

Spencer7

Yes | No

I use a resonator, it sounds great.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information