martek

Yes | No

Hard to start when warm!!!!

Hi Guy's
    Can anybody help!!
    Have a warm start problem with my car.
    Car starts fine when cold.
    Car starts fine when hot.
    But drive somewhere, leave the car anything above 30 mins and it takes 6-7 seconds of cranking before it starts up.
    When it does start it's fine.
    Car is 98 XJ8 3.2. 53,000miles. full service history.
    Apart from the warm start problem it's fine.
    The car has been into the main dealers today.
    They agreed it has a warm start problem, but have drawn a blank!!!!.
    Today they checked the blow-by compression test, which is 24l/min.
    They also did a leak down fuel pressure test, to check if the injectors were dribbling, again fine.
    There are no error codes.
    They also date checked certain relays!!
    While in they suggested changing the Spark plugs, i agreed.
    But it's exactly the same.
    Drove home, left it 2 hours, tried it again and 6-7 seconds of cranking before it'll start.
    So where do i go now, dealers haven't a clue.
    Anybody have any ideas, any info much appreciated.
    Thankyou Dave.

martek

Yes | No

Re: Hard to start when warm!!!!

Hi Guy's
    Forgot to mention.
    Car 3 weeks ago, had a new throttle body fitted under recall.
    Warm start problem was there before throttle body changed and is exactly the same now.
    Thankyou Dave.

Bloodworm

Yes | No

recall.... RECALL!!! when did jaguar finally call it a RECALL!!! did you have to pay for anything? what country are you from? hard to start warm is probably a temp sensor (there are more than five in the jag), but could be something else. did they check the part load breather for blockage??? the one thing I can think of is your evaporative control system. the vacuum diaphragm just behind the throttle body for the evap system can go as well as the vacuum line leading to it can "kink" and cause this sort of problem. also check your GAS CAP. I know it sounds stupid, but this little device can cause this sort of thing too.

martek

Yes | No

Bloodworm.
    I'm in the UK.
    And Yes, it's a Jaguar recall here under Jaguar Service Bulletin S514.
    Free of charge.
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    Cheers Dave.

Registered Member
    Member No: 41307 ctjfb is an unknown quantity at this point ctjfb's Avatar

Yes | No

I had exactly the same problem a while back. Very occasionaly it took a while to start when cold as well. I found that if I opened the throttle just a touch, then it would fire up more quickly.

I tried all the usual things, cleaned the throttle body, checked all the temperature senders, vacuum pipes around the throttle body area, injectors, plugs etc. etc. Spent weeks on it ...

I found it eventualy, and in fact if you follow Jaguar's troubleshooting flow for difficult starting, the cause was the first one in the list (but not one that I had thought worth checking ...), namely the "Rochester Valve" .. (The What ??).

Basicaly it's the fuel tank pressure control valve (may not be fitted to all vehicles, I think it depends on the number of evap canisters fitted), but it is on UK spec cars. It's a little vaccum valve attached to the evap box under the rear left hand side of the car (just in front of the rear suspension bush mounting).

The problem I had was the two halves of the plastic vavle had come apart a bit (clipped back together OK), and I think this had been knocked when the rear bushes were changed, as it was right about then that the starting problems began. 30 second fix, no more problems.

I think it would be worth checking this value, and the vacuum pipe to it, you never know !!

Good luck,

Chris.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information