Mark Webber looks forward to working with Sam Michael

Mark Webber will contest the 2005 season for the BMW WilliamsF1 Team, and is looking forward to working with the team’s Technical Director, Sam Michael.

According to Webber, the move to the BMW WilliamsF1 Team is “the most important cornerstone in my career so far.” Before moving up to Formula One in 2002, Webber has been competing in Formula Three, the FIA GT Championship and Formula 3000. In Formula One, Mark made the headlines by scoring points in his maiden Grand Prix for Minardi. The following season saw the Australian move to Jaguar and scored 18 of the 19 points the team achieved in 2003, and in 2004 he has been Jaguar’s only point-scorer so far (seven championship points).

On his new appointment to the BMW WilliamsF1 Team, Mark commented, “When you've got someone like Frank ringing you quite a lot, it's pretty flattering,” he said.

Furthermore, the Australian will be working with a fellow countryman, Sam Michael, WilliamsF1’s Technical Director. Even better, both come from the Australian federal state, New South Wales.

“I hadn't really spoken to Sam until this year,” reveals Mark, “I didn't know him at all. Sam is obviously on a pretty similar channel to me, which is very useful from the start. That's going to be healthy for us, I hope.”

Nevertheless, Mark doesn’t believe that his origin has had any influence on the team’s decision to sign him.

“I just know that if Patrick and Frank give someone some wings and give them an opportunity, then obviously they've got some respect for the guy, whatever nationality he is,” added Mark.