+ Reply to Thread
    Bill England

Yes | No

ASC and TRAC Warning

I have a 2000 XJ-8 with 60K and routinely serviced. Just recently i noticed a yellow warning light come on with "ASC NOT AVAILABLE" and "TRAC NOT AVAILABLE". What can cause this problem? The light comes on randomly and goes out on restart.

Real Tech

Yes | No

Re: ASC and TRAC Warning

There are many possible causes from a loose connection at a wheel speed sensor to a module problem. The best course of action would be to have the car scanned for codes to narrow the possibilities.

Bloodworm

Yes | No

could just be relays too....

Registered Member
    Member No: 173828 jaguarbeth is an unknown quantity at this point jaguarbeth's Avatar

Yes | No

Hello:

I bought a used 2000 xj8 from my mechanic a couple months ago with 52K miles on it. I have had some intermittent problems with the car suddenly going into failsafe engine mod with messages about ASC not available, track not available. It has happened during a variety of situations-while sitting at a red light, coming off the freeway ramp, and most recently, I noticed it happened while driving over some rough surface (train tracks, rough pavement surface) which made me start thinking it has something to do with the wheels, brakes, etc.

When this happens, I am able to pull it over and turn it off and restart it (sometimes once or twice) to get it back going. Sometimes it happens again a few minutes later again. After it happens twice, I sometimes have the engine light (in orange come on). After driving it again the next time or so, the light goes off.

Note that I do know these cars have a known problem with the throttle body and this car has a new one. they continue to try to find the problem and there are no hard codes showing up to diagnose this. I noticed this site has a number of folks that have worked through trying to fix this situation when it happens to them. I have seen throttle body replacement as one recommendation (already done for this car), replace the brake switch, replace the wheel speed sensor, remove the grounding from the negative terminal on the battery.

Any advice on what to start with next? I think we are getting closer and looking for advice from the jaguar community on what to do next?

nistah

Yes | No

Throttle body?

Macatowa

Yes | No

If it was like mine its code C1095 ABS Brain (module) they can be rebuilt.

Harry in FL

Yes | No

When mine had the ASC, TRAC not avail lite on occasionaly I unplugged and plugged in again the wheel sensors two, three times and it stopped. You can do that with the car sitting in the driveway.

Dave

Yes | No

Who rebuilt your module?

Registered Member
    Member No: 152231 sparkenzap is an unknown quantity at this point sparkenzap's Avatar

Yes | No

Dave:
    I resoldered the known socket pins myself. Step by step instructions are in the jag-lovers forum under XK8 group.

rgoldberg

Yes | No

can you link to it?
    or email it...
    i would love to fix my ABS module!

Registered Member
    Member No: 152231 sparkenzap is an unknown quantity at this point sparkenzap's Avatar

Yes | No

link sent via e-mail

jeff himel

Yes | No

I have had the same problems.
    Replaced throttle body 9 months ago.
    Had abs traction control rebuilt
    I paid $55 thru a re builder on ebay.
    I'm wondering how to unplug speed sensors in my driveway as previously
    posted.
    Or can someone tell me what to due next ?
    Also 2 months after buying car chain guide broke had chains and guides replaced $2600.
    I cant afford to replace speed sensors for $275 each.
    Please help !1
    [email protected] in Sunny Arizona

Thanks

Jeff

Tensioneer problems 2000 vanden plas

Registered Member
    Member No: 80367 chris286 is an unknown quantity at this point chris286's Avatar

Yes | No

Don't change the wheel sensors.... I will bet its not a problem.... they never go wrong...

I am willing to bet its the electrical motor drive stud on the ABS controller.... mine gone bad twice now....

If you live in the Dallas area I can give you name/phone of a master mechanic who can fix it....

Spencer Robinson '00 VDP
    Member No: Spencer Robinson '00 VDP's Avatar

Yes | No

Similar Problem with mine... '00 VDP, 72k

When it rains, or when tires slip (over a bump, accelerating in a turn, etc), I get the ASC and TRAC WARNING lites, and it goes into fail safe mode.

I do not think it is the throttle body, as I have cleaned that. I will check the wheel sensors today.

What is is this "stud on ABS controller", where is it located, and how do you fix it?

Again - only seems to happen when it's wet or raining out...

PH

Yes | No

if you scan for a DTC and get no code, the ABS controller module is bad. No need to replace the entire pump, just the computer module part attched to it. Disconnect the 2 plugs, unscrew the 4 female TORX screws and gently remove the unit being careful not to crack the brake lines. I sent my unit to ASI Inc, (423) 921-9085, they repaired and upgraded the unit with a lifetime guarantee for $55.
    Turnaround was 2 days! Got the unit back, plugged it in, erased the code generated from removing the unit, and no more ABS light and the "ASC NOT AVAILABLE TRAC NOT AVAILABLE" was GONE!

Good Luck!

Registered Member
    Member No: 80367 chris286 is an unknown quantity at this point chris286's Avatar

Yes | No

Spencer, on the ABS module there is plug towards the bottom of the module...it drives the pump motor. It has two studs on the Printed Circuit Board of the controler. The solder on the studs breaks loose hence bad/intermitant connection.

There is a great message on this board that shows you how to repair it yourself...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information