+ Reply to Thread
    v6 dwl

Yes | No

engine misfire

I have an '03 2 litre x-type which I have had from new. After running the engine in for around 500 miles (ie not exceeding 3000 revs) I started to drive the car with a bit more "enthusiasm". I noticed an intermittent fault. The engine would sometimes miss a beat at 4000 revs. I took it back to the dealer who replaced a spark plug. The fault was still there but this time at both 3000 and 4000 revs. The dealer then replaced two more spark plugs but this did not help the problem. At the third try the dealer contacted Jaguar technical department who told them to replace all 6 plugs with a modified type. Guess what? No improvement! There is still a distinct but short pause in the engine which lasts a fraction of a second. This usually occurrs when the engine is under load, eg when accelerating uphill. Does anyone have any ideas?

BWheel

Yes | No

Re: engine misfire

It has electonic ignition. Could be spark plug cables, or the unit that sends the spark out.

I would expect that Jaguar would be able to put it on a rolling road with a dyno machine or similar... Phone Jaguar direct and see if they can assist, or try another dealer - yours seems to be lacking a litte....

DK-OKC

Yes | No

Again, I have to agree with BigWheel...Call the Technical Service help desk..
    1-800-452-4827
    03, 3.0L X BRG w/auto
    More than just a Bling!

mrpitt

Yes | No

We have a 2002 2litre SE(UK)and suffer from the same problem. Spoke to the dealer about it. He suggested it was the aircon compressor kicking in/out. Now I'm not so sure. I'll keep an eye on it now and, if I get anywhere, I'll report back.

joel

Yes | No

i got the answer!

i have an '04 3.0 x-type and was experiencing the same problem.. car would hesitate or "mis-fire" in third or fourth gear, at around 3-4000 rpm or at about 30-50 mph. i would be pressing the gas and feel the hesitation. i reported the problem to my dealer and about 2 months ago they contacted me and said that jaguar had just released an upgrade for the car's computer management system to address a "common" problem others were also experiencing. the program "reflashes" the onboard computer. just ask the dealer to address the same problem.

No more problem! if any one is interested i can probably find the letter that was distributed to the dealerships with an explanation of the problem and the solution and the solution program number for dealers.

Pete (uk)

Yes | No

Re: i got the answer!

Joel

I also have a 2.5 that does this, it would be nice if you could find the letter so I can wave it at the jag guys at my next service.

Ta

Pete

peteATpmarshallDOTcom

Mr Jaguar

Yes | No

Your dealer should not only replace the spark plugs but also the ignition coil (mounted on top of the spark plug).

Mr Jaguar

PS There is a TSB on this issue.

Cenzo

Yes | No

I have (had) a 2004 3.0 with this problem. The dealer told me it was everything from trannie to engine management system. After the 10th time i had it in I told them i was fed up with it. I'll be getting my '05 in 6 weeks.

Registered Member
    Member No: 126346 adj38 is an unknown quantity at this point adj38's Avatar

Yes | No

I know this is an old link but I have the same problem.

Soon after receiving my new X-type 3.0 Sport it became apparent that it was extremely difficult to drive the car smoothly and at low revs the vehicle kangarooed. On engaging first gear the car lurches, and once in motion the drive-train whines. This makes for a very unpleasant driving experience which has ruined my ownership of the vehicle. The engine also misses at around 3000 and during acceleration

Andy

Yes | No

I have a similar issue- and I think the aircon diagnosis is right. Try accelerating uphill with and without the aircon on. The "misfire" does not happen when the aircon is off... and it accelerates faster :-)

Registered Member
    Member No: 139460 IdahoXtype is an unknown quantity at this point IdahoXtype's Avatar

Yes | No

Does anyone have specific info on the advisory letter issued to dealers about flashing the engine control module? "Joel" posted in Aug of 2004 that this helped his car run smoother. Mine bucks under load. It is not related to the AC. The engine bucks anytime it pulls; either in first or second gear or in 4th or 5th on the highway. The only way to keep if from bucking in first and second is to keep the rpms up. I assume that the ECM also controls the fan speed of the AC/defroster. My defroster fan speed varies quite a bit when in automatic defrost mode and I hoping that the two are related.

Registered Member
    Member No: 139460 IdahoXtype is an unknown quantity at this point IdahoXtype's Avatar

Yes | No

misfire and hesitation

I need some ideas on how to solve a engine misfire when it pulls under load. It does it in all gears. If the RPM's are not kept up it runs rough. First gear from a stop must give lots of gas. 4th gear rolling down the road and give gas and the engine bucks unless we drop to 3rd. 2002 with 3.0 and a 5 speed.

We replaced the engine last year and this symptom was here with the old engine as well as this one. New hoses etc on the new engine.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 69.122.108.80

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information