+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Registered Member
    Member No: 89831 oiseaux is an unknown quantity at this point oiseaux's Avatar

Yes | No

OK, but you had me worried there for a moment.

BimmerShifter since 1969; currently
    '82 733i 5-spd

'93 850CiA

newdad

Yes | No

true, visibility's fine. 4:30 is when i go to work

newdad

Yes | No

hit a deer on the mall you'll be on fox morn. news

Dan in D.C. || 1987 635CSi 5spd ||
    Member No: Dan in D.C. || 1987 635CSi 5spd ||'s Avatar

Yes | No

NewDad, something else to consider...

I'm assuming, after a quick Google search, that the Bimmer you're planning on "testing" is an x3, right?

Please bear in mind the fact that it has a higher center of gravity than the 3-series it's based-on. Sure, it's only two or three inches higher, but that two or three inches makes a dramatic difference in the vehicle's stability (by SUV standards, the x3 is very stable).

Also, be mindful of the fact that the majority of roads in the D.C.-metro area are in terrible shape. Even doing the speed limit, it feels like I'm going to lose my teeth. Doubling the speed limit not only will reduce your reaction time and increase the risk of bending a wheel, but it will also increase the likelihood of a catastrophic tire failure in the event that you hit a 3-inch deep pothole at 120+ mph.

That's a major advantage of fulfilling your "need for speed" at the track -- the track is smooth and the curves are designed for vehicles moving at high speed -- the local roads (and beltway) are not smooth and designed for cars traveling at 30-70 mph.

Summit Point has what are called "Fridays at the Track" - which allow you to drive your car (or SAV, I think?) on the main circuit, with an instructor, flat-out. (Speeds into turn 1 usually approach 130+mph). Better yet, get into a HPDE with the NCC BMWCCA (their Highway Safety school/HPDE combo is extremely useful), the Porsche Club or the upcoming Ferrari Club HPDE (they really don't go that fast - they're worried about chipping the paint of their $100,000+ super-cars).

By attending an HPDE, you'll actually learn the limits of your skill, the car's abilities and you won't run the risk of getting a ticket (or a suspended license, which can happen if you exceed the speed limit by more than 25mph).

(Trust me -- you don't want to get a ticket from any of the Federal law enforcement agencies that have jurisdiction in and around the District; there are 27 of them, IIRC.)

Dan Smith
    Arlington, VA
    BMWCCA Member since 2003

dvsmith.net/

click any to enlarge

Russell in Columbia, MD
    Member No: Russell in Columbia, MD's Avatar

Yes | No

I would say I-95. Here's why:

With the majority of the traffic on I-95 doing at least 80mph, you can cruise at 90-95mph fairly inconspicuously. I've driven on I-95 both North and South without seeing any police. I sometimes hear rumors of high police presence near the DC beltway, but I never seem to see any the times that I go down there.

Just drive smartly with the traffic and don't be one to weave in and out of lanes. As for cameras, I've never been able to spot any on I-95, and this is coming from a guy that knows just about every light in Columbia that has a camera on it =)

Russell
    '97 840Ci

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information