+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 60903 vze33jng is an unknown quantity at this point vze33jng's Avatar

Yes | No

So hard to get "the wave" these days!!

528e 5spd (12/86) 192k-mi
    Stock intake
    Stock chip
    Stock diff
    Stock suspension
    Hella H4's (so fast)
    -+-+-+-+-+-
    ///M5 (5/87) 188k/mi
    Stock SLS
    Dinan chip/exhaust gear (soon)
    OEM Radar detector

Registered Member
    Member No: 72412 bob.knox is an unknown quantity at this point bob.knox's Avatar

Yes | No

Long time no see G-man. How's the M5 coming?

Registered Member
    Member No: 60903 vze33jng is an unknown quantity at this point vze33jng's Avatar

Yes | No

Well, I've had some hurdles outside of the car

that've kept me from doing much more than P.M. on it, things like all the rubber under the hood, replacing all the fluids, including the G280 and LSD, dogbones, subframe bushes, etc.

This winter my plan is to pull the engine and put it on a stand. I'm not sure if I'll do a full rebuild, probably not. I think I'll just inspect everything and get all new seals/gaskets. Maybe a few parts will scream replacment to me? On a leak-down test the worst cylinder was 8% loss, and the rest were more like 6%, so I think I've been blessed.

Things like motor-mounts, or every bushing made of rubber are in need of replacment, including the guibo. I had a spare 528e right motor-mount that I replaced the torn one with in May, and it's already torn open. I guess that's why the M5 mount is grey and the 528e is just black.

I still need to do things like repair the damage done when someone (service center or owner) pushed the floor up by improper placement of the lift or jack. The SLS is still non-functioning, but I'm pretty sure I narrowed it down to the pump. The "factory" radar detector reports both front and rear alarms on the light reserved for the front sensor only. The rear impulse-rings for the ABS both need replacement.

As you can see, there aren't that many BIG things I need to take care of, just little things you find after owning a car for a while, and a few systems out of whack. The engine still sings and throws your head into the seat-back through every gear, and the ride is smooth as glass at 148Mph. (Not that I would break any speed-limits)

I'll be bringing her down to the Bavauto Show/shine on October 3rd, but don't expect a gem this year. The bodywork and paint will be next summer.

Thanks for asking!

(As for the "hurdles", one word: woman.)

'87 528e "is" 196k
    '88 M5 192k

Registered Member
    Member No: 72412 bob.knox is an unknown quantity at this point bob.knox's Avatar

Yes | No

Hear ya loud and clear, wife wants me to sell mine

Let me know what your SLS troubles are. My system is still intact, but the 2x PO put in M-Tech springs all around. I plan on taking out the whole SLS system one of these weekends (when my wife will let me work on it for more than an hour). I talked recently with the last owner, and he said the SLS pump was still humming when he had the car, so he pulled the relay and disconnected the wires.

Good luck.
    Bob K.

BMW CCA Member, Boston Chapter
    1988 ///M5

Registered Member

Yes | No

So far, I can't power up the pump, so I don't know

what else is wrong. The linkage between the swaybar and POT is broken at the ball/cup joint, too. If you're parting out, LET ME KNOW! I really wanna get the SLS back to working order so I can stop leaving rub marks on the rear wheels whenever someone's in the back.

Why does the wife want it gone???

'87 528e "is" 196k
    '88 M5 192k

Registered Member

Yes | No

Power struggle/mental mostly >

Granted the purchase put a dent in our savings account, and I've spent about $350 on parts over the last 3 months, but we're not poor. She hates cars too. If it needs more than gas, tires, and oil, then it's a POS in her mind. It's frustraiting at times, but then I just take the M5 for a spin and nothing else matters.

I haven't even started to look at what it will take to disassemble the SLS. The pump should be pretty easy to get out and I'll look at those swaybar links. I'm going away this weekend, but maybe I can pick at it during the week or next weekend. If all goes to plan I'll try to bring the parts to BavAuto.

Registered Member

Yes | No

That would make my weekend!!!

'87 528e "is" 196k
    '88 M5 192k

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information