+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

rlomba8204

Yes | No

Good Maryland Shops

I have a late model 95 540 and am new to the Montgomery County Maryland area. We live on the Silver Spring side of the county. In any event, wondering if anyone could recommend a good BMW shop, dealer or private. I am pretty picky about the car, so any leads you could provide would be appreciated.

Registered Member
    Member No: 106017 jagman2k is an unknown quantity at this point jagman2k's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Good Maryland Shops

Dealer: Tischer BMW in the Montgomery Auto Park or

Indie: Dan Martin see link below
    '91 850i schwartz black on black
    '93 750iL schwartz II black on black
    '94 Dodge Dakota Magnum V8
    '00 Jaguar S-Type V8

rlomba8204

Yes | No

Tischer

Thanks. I have had a bad experience with Tischer. Right at the time when I was living in DC and in Philly, before we permanently moved, I learned that my car needed a new transmission (the 5hp30). My shop in Phlly, BMW of the Mainline (formerly Don Rosen) gave me a price of $5k installed including tax. I called Tischer because I figured I might as well try someone down here too, and they gave me a price of $8k. That's not a misprint or a typo. Now I know that my dealer gave me a good (for a dealer) price, but $3k more from Tischer. When I asked the Tischer BMW service advisor why the large price differential versus my PA BMW dealer, and volunteered to fax over my printed estimate from BMW of the MAinline, he got all defensive and said my dealer must not be using a BMW trans, which is nonsense. That, plus the fact that I also considered getting a newer 7, but found that Tischer's prices were about 10-15% higher than other BMW dealers, at least asking. I never got to the serious negotiation stage. Just giving you and others a potential heads-up on those guys. Again, I appreciate your advice.

pseto1

Yes | No

Try Einsteins Motors in College Park

Dan in D.C. || 1987 635CSi 5spd ||
    Member No: Dan in D.C. || 1987 635CSi 5spd ||'s Avatar

Yes | No

Independent Shop List

rlomba8204

Yes | No

Re: Independent Shop List

Thanks for the list. The only thing is alot of the MD shops are in the Rockville/Gaithersburg area, which is on the other side of the county and in the opposite direction that I go in the morning. Do you have any experience or have you heard anyting about Rossi's in Silver Spring or Einstein's in College Park? Thanks again for your help.

Dan in D.C. || 1987 635CSi 5spd ||
    Member No: Dan in D.C.  || 1987 635CSi 5spd ||'s Avatar

Yes | No

I might update the page with Wiki (m)

So that visitors can contribute their knowledge...

Dan Smith
    Arlington, VA
    BMWCCA Member since 2003

dvsmith.net/

click any to enlarge

Registered Member
    Member No: 70215 shaz is an unknown quantity at this point shaz's Avatar

Yes | No

Einstein's is good and reasonable $$$

Autoy is fine as well but somewhat overpriced.
    Shiznutts

99 M3 ECIS Intake - first mod!
    97 Jetta

Registered Member
    Member No: 89831 oiseaux is an unknown quantity at this point oiseaux's Avatar

Yes | No

Highly rec'd Autoy in Rockville 301-770-0700

I've patronized Dave Toy's shop, Autoy, for abt 25 years. Has always treated me fairly. I've got some parts on order right now. Tell him Roger Byrd sent you.
    Cheers!

BimmerShifter since 1969; currently
    '82 733i 5-spd

'93 850CiA

Russell in Columbia, MD
    Member No: Russell in Columbia, MD's Avatar

Yes | No

On the other side of the coin.....

Some of us have had not so great experiences with Autoy. Conclusion of those with bad experiences is that the shop only caters to their long time patrons, and not new customers.

FYI Being young (under 30) doesn't help.

Russell

Registered Member
    Member No: 75805 Faisal_in_Laurel is an unknown quantity at this point Faisal_in_Laurel's Avatar

Yes | No

Now that is 2 for and 2 against on Autoy

Now I am back to the beginning trying to decide if I want to introduce my car to Autoy.

Russell in Columbia, MD
    Member No: Russell in Columbia, MD's Avatar

Yes | No

Chris certainly knows his stuff......

but it's all the other things that go with bringing your car to a small indy place that I didn't like so much. And oh yeah, be prepared to turn your wallet upsidedown.

Russell

Registered Member
    Member No: 70215 shaz is an unknown quantity at this point shaz's Avatar

Yes | No

Autoy will welcome you if

you have a unique car. They seem to prefer exotic cars like M3's rather than regular old BMW's. But you will still pay a lot more than say- Einsteins.
    Shiznutts

99 M3 ECIS Intake - first mod!
    97 Jetta

Registered Member

Yes | No

Well, I have introduced three co-workers to Autoy

this year alone and each one (all BMW drivers) has personally thanked me for the referral several times since. So I remain very comfortable with my recommendation.
    Cheers to all!

Live long, drive well and prosper!
    BimmerShifter since 1969; currently
    '82 733i 5-spd

'93 850CiA

Registered Member
    Member No: 8387 johnfuston is an unknown quantity at this point johnfuston's Avatar

Yes | No

Dave Toy is crooked as a dog's hind leg...

His technicians are quite skilled but Dave is the type of guy that would cheat his own mother for a dollar. I recommend you steer clear of his shop. Rgds...
    - John
    '92 850i Twin Turbo

Registered Member

Yes | No

John, it would be good to express an opinion...

... without running afoul of slander and libel, of which I believe you have crossed the line. But you go ahead and do whatever.

I'm going on vacation for a week and cannot/will not be able to respond to further attacks on someone I have known for over 25 years as honest, reputable and friendly supplier of parts, service and advice to people of all persuasions, driving the least to the highest price BMWs (6 of which were mine).
    Regards, not cheers.

Registered Member
    Member No: 8387 johnfuston is an unknown quantity at this point johnfuston's Avatar

Yes | No

Dave is what he is to different people, Roger...

I believe that he treats some fairly and others not-so-fairly. I guess it is because you are friends that you are part of the "lucky" group.

But let's face it, Roger. If Dave conducted business in an honorable manner, we wouldn't even be having this exchange. Rgds...
    - John
    '92 850i Twin Turbo

Registered Member
    Member No: 91453 shaft509 is an unknown quantity at this point shaft509's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Highly rec'd Autoy in Rockville 301-770-0700

I just thought I'd put in my two cents about Dave Toy as I see that not all are pleased with his service. I went to Dave on a recommendation by Roger and am a very glad I did. There was an ominous tapping sound coming from the engine bay when at idle on my '97 328is so I took it to a shop that I had used in the past (up the street from AUTOY) They told me the VANOS system needed replacing at a cost of $960 parts and labor. I thought this was a bit much and so I called Dave. He was very courteous and suggested that we simply change the oil to full synthetic. He ordered the VANOS just in case and it was sitting on the counter by the time I dropped the car off. He also said the cost of replacing the VANOS (if needed) with parts and labor would be $650-a big difference. As a first time customer he did a thorough check of the entire car and made suggestions on what needed doing. I never felt that he was nickle and diming me with uneeded service, he was just making genuine suggestions for the long term health of the car. He kept me informed throughout the day and always handled the call himself. The upshot of this long post is the car runs like a top, VANOS did NOT need replacing (although it would have been very easy to tell me it did) and I feel confident that the car is in very good and honest hands. I have already recommended him to a co-worker. My .02

Shaft

rlombardo

Yes | No

Thank you for the leads.

Much appreciated. I mapquested Einstein's and he is fairly convenient so I will give him a try.

bnl2002

Yes | No

Re: Thank you for the leads.

hey if you end up not being happy with Autoy for any reason(I have no experience with them), you should try out Dan Martin's Autoservice in Gaithersburg. It is a longer trip but I couldn't imagine bringing my car anywhere else. This shop knows what they are doing and are honest. Good luck with finding a shop closer to your house and let me know how they are.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information