+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 113027 Jazz577 is an unknown quantity at this point Jazz577's Avatar

Yes | No

Should I Buy this Beemer? HELP

I have stumbled upon a one owner beemer at a car lot ...It has Over 24000 in work performed reciepts . The car is dentless prefect. The only things that are worn are the drivers power window. and the auto head rest. Other than that the pant needs new. The car is Strong and clean. Hes askin 2500 for an 86 735i with 128000. I think its right on. What do you think?

Registered Member
    Member No: 48238 EricHall is an unknown quantity at this point EricHall's Avatar

Yes | No

$24k worth of work?

Was there a major repair in there somewhere? Engine, transmission?
    I guess it is about double what I would expect to pay per year on my car for maintenance, but I do most of my own work.
    It is an 18 year old car no matter what way you slice it. There are going to be maintenance issues. Although the E23 has a lot fewer electronics on it than later versions, so it will be a bit easier. Without looking at KBB, I would guess the price is a bit high. But if you have all the maintenance records, it really is from one owner and it is clean all around, it might be a good buy, especially if it was driven regularly. These cars like to be driven.
    If you like big sedans, then you will like this car. I have heard tell that it is quite nimble for a car that size. It is lighter than later versions, with a little less power, but still it will do well. Check out the E23 board and see what they say there, especially about common problems and big BMW mistakes (like Nikasil engines, which E23's don't have). I don't know if you have other BMW's, but don't let the marque blind you to problems.******>
    ******>

======================================
    Eric Hall
    1994 740iL
    Schwarz / Pergament 80k
    Albany, OR
    eric@[remove.this.before.emailing]@tdsway.com

No matter where you go... There you are!
    Buckaroo Bonzai

=55=

BMWCCA #304714
    Roadfly Inner Circle #48238

*******>

Velocewest

Yes | No

Beemer=bike, Bimmer=car

I think a 7 is not the best way to start your relationship with older BMW's. Too many widgets to break. Look for a 3 or a 5.

Tony

Registered Member
    Member No: 8446 cargogal is an unknown quantity at this point cargogal's Avatar

Yes | No

Ja, I'd look for an E30 for an intro to fixing

bimmers. They have less stuff to break, the parts are easier and cheaper to come across, and there's a big local enthusiast community.

If you can't go fast with 90hp, 900 won't do you any good.
    -bwob

It is said that the civilized man seeks out good and intelligent company, so that by learned discourse, he may rise above the savage, and be closer to God. Personally, however, I like to start the day with a total dickhead to remind me that I'm best.
    -Edmund Blackadder

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information