+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 78269 claudio512 is an unknown quantity at this point claudio512's Avatar

Yes | No

5HP24 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

Make: BMW
    Model: 740I/IL
    Year: 1999
    Recall Number: 99V005000
    Summary:
    VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 5HP24 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION. PREMATURE WEAR OF THE RING GEAR CAN OCCUR, LEADING TO THE LOSS OF 1ST, 2ND, 3RD, AND REVERSE GEARS.
    Consequence:
    IF THIS PROBLEM OCCURS, THE CAR MAY NO LONGER OPERATE IN REVERSE, 1ST, 2ND, OR 3RD GEARS.
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION.
    Notes:
    OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN FEBRUARY 26, 1999. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT BMW AT 1-800-831-0117. ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

Registered Member
    Member No: 128238 CARINTIM is an unknown quantity at this point CARINTIM's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 5HP24 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION. 97 740i also?

Well, I had the codes tested on my 1997 740i with 87k miles on it. The "Transmission Fail Safe Program" had kicked in . Emergency transmission program appeared in the check control area. CODES 104 temp info? 005 pressure regulator? 001 pressure acctuator? The mechanic that checked the codes said the temp info is because there is no fluid flowing through the tranny now, and the pressure code errors are associated. He said I need a new tranny.

Next step?

Rebuilt or used tranny?

$$$$ ?

I have no experience with this but was told sometimes the 7 series trannys can blow at this mileage or any time ! ?

I even read about a BMW recall #99v005000 on vehicles equipped with 5hp24 auto tranny.
    Premature wear of the ring gear can occur , leading to the loss of 1st, 3nd, 3rd, and reverse which is exactly what has happened to me. Unfortunately I've bought all my Bmw's used and always used independent mechanics so the dealers are not my ally. Never any major problems with my 3 series up until this 7 series I purchased used 4k miles ago.

Has anyone heard of this type of failure issue?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tim

1997 740i
    I am in Chicago.

stevefisk

Yes | No

First make sure you have a 5hp24, I believe all the 7's up to '98 had the 5hp30. I just rebuilt the valve body on my 5hp30 - post on the other board. Not easy, but not as difficult as changing spark plugs on a V12. Find a Transtar Transmission distributorship. They have parts and supplies for the ZFs a lot cheaper than the BMW dealerships.

Registered Member
    Member No: 78269 claudio512 is an unknown quantity at this point claudio512's Avatar

Yes | No

I do not know what transmission is on your car... if so, email me last seven digit of the VIN. BTW, you should get transmission oil and filter replaced by BMW dealer unless you a got Jaggi Transmissions in Houston, Texas [[email protected]] in your back pocket. However, the tranny message may appear and first thing to check should the idle control valve... if dirty clean it, if broken may require replacement... the tranny issue is misunderstood and many folks end-up paying needless expensive repairs LOL

Registered Member

Yes | No

Agree... transmission should be A5S 560Z = 5HP30

A5S 560Z

Registered Member
    Member No: 128238 CARINTIM is an unknown quantity at this point CARINTIM's Avatar

Yes | No

Thanks caludio,

My Vin ends in dl46661.

I assumed it was the 5hp24 but it may be the 5hp30.

I am trying to gather some info and educate myself before I hear the mechanic hjust say ...we need to replace the whole transmission!/

You have been very informative with advice on things to check initially so thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,

Tim

Registered Member

Yes | No

The tranny is a A5S 560Z = 5HP30. BTW, there is no need to replace a transmission because there was a fail safe message. Also, before doing transmission repairs check the idle control valve and have BMW dealer replace tranny fluid and filter. I have two E-38 with 182,000 and 130,000 miles... fluid and filter has been replaced on both cars and there are no tranny problems. I have seen the message pop-up on the E-38 with 182k... the message is not a transmission failure but a communication error among electronic devices. However, there may be a management problem, which is related to communcation among electronic devices including sensors. You need to know a bit more what makes the car work right such as computers and sensors, and the bottom line is that unscrupulous mechanics love your money.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Agree... transmission should be A5S 560Z = 5HP30

After checking, my build date is 08/96 so it is actually the 5hp30 tranny. Thank you for your insights. I will look into checking the idle control valve, and replacing the tranny fluid and filter first. I had a local dealer check the codes, and and he came up with code errors 104 Temperature, 005 Pressure Regulator, 001 Pressure Actuator. This does not give my independent mechanic much to work with, so I am trying to provide as much infomation as possible to help him pinpoint the problem. I hate to bring it to a BMW dealer just to have the tranny fluid and filter changed first, but it sounds like I may need to take it to the dealer for those services eh?

Again, your insights have been most helpful so thank you.

Tim
    1997 740i

Registered Member

Yes | No

Fluid and filter replacement...

It doesn't matter if you are using right fluid and filter. Those codes are related to management problems... which are not described anywhere. However, if the car has been abused... then, there may be an issue.

Ray7er6ers5er

Yes | No

Is the 5HP24, the one with the small or large

pan gasket? I have a 98 740i build date 1/98, vin DL54957. I have the smaller pan and am not sure which this is. Can you please verify?

Registered Member

Yes | No

Transmission Model A5S 440Z

Need to look at the plate on tranny to determine which of these two transmission was installed on car:

Transmission Model A5S 440Z
    Transmission Model A5S 560Z

SKI

Yes | No

LOOKS LIKE I NEED A NEW TRANSMISSION CONTROL UNIT>

Claudio,

Thanks for advising me to check out otheer options before thinking that the tranny needed to be replaced.

After my mechanic hit a deadend and could not figure out he computer portion of things, I had to break down and take it to a local BMW dealer.

The dealer told me that although the tranny looks fine, they cannot tell for sure until they put in a new "transmision control unit" and then test things out further. They quoted $1800 for the tranny control unit with 3 hours labor at $125/hour. That does included the reconfiguration/programming/calibration etc. so I know they do have insights that I cannot do outside the dealer.
    Then,
    I will still need to replace the tranny fluid and filter with they said would be about $380.

Would I have any luck getting the oem parts on my own? Crevier or somewhere else?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,

Tim

1997 740i

RICK HENDERSON

Yes | No

Re: Agree... transmission should be A5S 560Z = 5H30

MY A5S-560-Z TRANS DUSNT HAVE REVERSE ANY MORE IS THERE A KIT I CAN BY TO FIX IT

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information