+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 113755 dwoods1290 is an unknown quantity at this point dwoods1290's Avatar

Yes | No

HELP! 1997 528i Overheating @ idle ?

My 1997 528i is overheating when I idle. I have replaced the thermostat and the housing recently to correct the problem. It worked for awhile and now it is overheating again, only while I idle. Can anyone offer some help in the diagnosis of the problem? I need the help. Thanks

Registered Member
    Member No: 103427 BMWRAY is an unknown quantity at this point BMWRAY's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: HELP! 1997 528i Overheating @ idle ?

HAVE YOU BLED THE COOLANT SYSTEM CORRECTLY IF SO MOSTLY LIKELY YOU HAVE A BAD WATERPUMP,TRY BY REMOVING THE RADIATOR CAP AND THEN START THE VEHICLE DO YOU SEE FLOWING OF COOLANT IF NOT THE WATERPUMP IS AT FAULT YOU WILL NEED TO REPLACE. IF YOU FURTHER QUESTION YOU CAN EMAIL ME.

Registered Member
    Member No: 23375 Gans will become famous soon enough Gans's Avatar

Yes | No

possibly a bad fan clutc h.

Jay Gans
    Y2K 528 5spCT photos at : www.jongans.com/dad/

Registered Member
    Member No: 104383 montelatici is an unknown quantity at this point montelatici's Avatar

Yes | No

Assuming the thermostat (even with the new thermostat) housing is not cracked or leaking it is probably the fan clutch or water pump. You can check the fan clutch by taking a rolled up newspaper and see if while the engine is hot and running at idle, you can stop the fan easily with the newspaper. If the waterpump is bad, there is usually some leakage that can be seen.

Garfield1

Yes | No

Only while idling sounds more like the leccy fan or associated switch isn't working ....

Garfield1

Yes | No

(A/C fan in front of rad that is ...)

BMWSansPareil

Yes | No

I just had the same thing happen. The Stealer replaced the radiator, thermastat, and a bunch of other junk. $900 later and it still overheated. Needless to say I was PISSED! Well to make a long story short, it was the auxillary fan. (I went to the service manger and complained and he agreed to replace the fan on their dime.)The auxillary fan brings air through the radiator when the car is at a stand still. Have them check this out. Good Luck, Marc

Registered Member
    Member No: 113755 dwoods1290 is an unknown quantity at this point dwoods1290's Avatar

Yes | No

Thank you will check the Fan and Water Pump.

sfe30

Yes | No

I had this exact same problem except that everyone agreed the engine wasn't actually overheating, but the temperature gauge showed overheating. We replaced the cylinder head temp. sensor, thermostat, housing and water pump and problem came back. Finally we threoized that at idle the low flow from the water pump allowed a low coolant level to expose the cylinder temp. sensor which then spiked the gauge. I used Jim Cash's bleed method and the problem went away. This is important: The car has to be COLD when you add coolant and start the bleed procedure, or you can get air in the system and you'll have problems. The dashboard test that shows the cylinder head temp. is helpful (I think it is #7) as the buffering of the temperature gauge data leaves a false impression.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information