+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Overheating

Registered Member
    Member No: 111748 eric_b is an unknown quantity at this point eric_b's Avatar

Yes | No

Overheating

Hello E3 Owners,
    What is the latest cure for a 3.0 Bavaria that can't keep it little head cool?
    It appears to have the OEM 2" thick radiator. Does it just need to have it's radiator dipped or something more radical?

Curious,
    -eric b.

Registered Member
    Member No: 21002 dsolson is an unknown quantity at this point dsolson's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Overheating

Does it overheat both standing still and moving? If it is just the former, the fan clutch is the likly culprit. If it is both, try taking the thermostat out and see if it makes a difference.

Yes, the radiator can get gunked up. it mmight not hurt to pull it out and run a garden hose into it and see what comes out. You have been changing your anti-freeze every few years, right? :-)

Worst case, a bad head gasket can cause overheating.

Dale

Dave Beddows

Yes | No

Try changing the pressure cap on the coolent overflow reservoir. If it is not sealing or the spring has become weak, it doesn't take much to boil your coolent. I almost changed a head gasket once but a sharp mechanic suggested a new cap and my overheating disappeared. The original cap looked good, the spring felt strong, but it just didn't seal.

Dan S.

Yes | No

My 75 3.0si ran hot, over the high normal mark, when I bought it almost two years ago, so I took the radiator out and had the 2 core changed out and a 3 core put in. Since then it runs nice and cool, on the bottom normal mark, and that's even on hot summer days. The fan clutch was defeated before I bought the vehicle so it turns all the time.

Registered Member

Yes | No

I am going to give Dan's solution a try. It has a new thermostat and the old thermostat pretty much was the same. I can't what to have a car that keeps its cool.
    Thanks Dan.

Registered Member

Yes | No

I pulled the radiator. Once out I could cleary see there were issues.
    10-15% on the lower fins were corroded away and in some cases forming a solid chunk of rust blocking the airflow.
    Tiime for a new core. I had them install a "MX 2-row". It is just more rows vertically and wider passageways. The old core had a number of passageways clogged with sediment. I have to report that it runs way better now. I may have to install a warmer thermostat.
    I have to work it hard to get the temp 1/3 up the scale on the gauges.
    Thanks to all those who responded.

Does anyone know Gus Blazic or how to contact him?
    He is mentioned to be living here in Seattle but can't find any listing s of him in the book.

Registered Member
    Member No: 92028 chamonix is an unknown quantity at this point chamonix's Avatar

Yes | No

Definitely have your radiator flushed. I fought with mine for 3 months before finally getting it done along with having my expansion tank repaired (it looks like new) you do not need to replace it. Do this ASAP so you don't lose your head gasket, head or even transmission (if automatic). Time is of the essence! Also make sure all of your hoses are in good shape and that you have bled the air out of your cooling system.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information