+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ctx Littlematchgirl
    Member No:  ctx Littlematchgirl's Avatar

Yes | No

Stealer told me use BMW coolant or car will die

Guys at parts counter thought BMW coolant was no different than other coolants, then fat man walked behind counter (from new car sales?) and said other coolants can kill water pumps in no time. He said they had all kinds of problems with other coolants, even in GM and Ford cars using the "Dexton" (can't remember name) coolant from GM stealers.

I thought the guy might be bullsh*tting, but I bought the BMW coolant. It was $17.90 per gallon. I figure German chemists have always been pretty good, and you don't change coolant too often, and radiators and water pumps are expensive.

Anybody know the real data on this?

LMG

Gary M

Yes | No

B.S., but you do need to buy the right coolant

Look at your owner's manual for the right type. The stealer sales man was just trying as usual to rip you off. However, if I remember correctly, Dextron is an exception; it's a problem coolant.

Bimmer5Michael

Yes | No

Just use the BMW Collant and sail on..............

Davez525

Yes | No

Re: B.S., but you do need to buy the right coolant

Yep.., tis true! The dealer, (Tiffanys) is on a campaign to drive fear into your soul.

Not one BMW mechanic Ive talked to can substantiate using BMW coolant over a "good quality" Aftermarket product.

Ive personally have used "Proline" coolant in 3 of my own Aluminun head / cast iron blocked motors & one of them was my 91 Integra which I owned for 7 years...... lets face it, if a coolant designed for use in an aluminum head motor, the manufacturer has done their homework.

Aluminum is aluminum.... a headgasket is a headgasket.

However, I cant stress enough that whatever you use (if using the BMW coolant makes you feel more sure, thats perfectly fine!!) take EXTRA measures to always avoid an overheat condition...be a instrument scanner! because it doesnt take alot to warp an aged cylinder head..ask me how I Know.

Toneman

Yes | No

Re: Use the BLUE

It may only be Kharma but I use only BMW or...MB (clear).
    Somehow it just works better and with what you pay to keep these cars running well, money is nooooooo object.
    I just bought blue and distilled water to change my new 530.

Bimmer5Michael

Yes | No

Me too brother!! And I smiled when I paid for it!

Crazy......ain't it?

Michael
    95 530

Shayne

Yes | No

Dave's right

BMW coolant is formulated no different from the stuff on the parts shelf.
    There is a "however" though.
    Offshore coolants are the same poison that made BMW start this campaign. It actually has credibility because the green coolant of the late '80 was not compatible with the bimetal engine and the closer tolerances.
    Current, quality, name brand coolants are as good as or better than BMW's OEM coolant for our generation of car.
    Avoid Wal Mart or other non automotive store's generic brands because some are still sourced overseas. Only use a recognized, quality name brand product.

Shayne
    525iTA

Registered Member
    Member No: 22375 dickschnei is an unknown quantity at this point dickschnei's Avatar

Yes | No

It is not Dextron, but Dex-cool!

Dexron is an automatic transmission fluid. Dex-cool coolant, the orange stuff, should be avoided totally in our cars.****_Schneiders
    2, 1991 525iA's

Bimmer5Michael

Yes | No

Why is that ****_? Not challanging,,,,, asking

I have not read the label lately but doesnt it say for aluminum on the label?

Michael

ntx Littlemethgirl

Yes | No

Dex-adrine, Ford's own driving stimulant pills!

Registered Member
    Member No: 22375 dickschnei is an unknown quantity at this point dickschnei's Avatar

Yes | No

Just like *I* can't prove that BMW coolant is best

I have no empirical evidence that Dex-Cool is bad for BMW engines, thank goodness. However, I have read several reports on the Internet from mechanics that have torn into cooling systems that were clogged up from using Dex-cool. Some of them had pictures showing the damage that was done. Even the BMW techs that I know that disagree with my stance of only using the BMW coolant, say that the Dex-cool is bad for our engines.

A couple of the European car mechanics on the other BMW forum have run into several non-BMW cars that also had significant coolant system damage derived for using Dex-cool. One of them posted a link that described a class action suit being brought against the company that developed the stuff, and it had nothing to do with BMW's.

There is little consensus to be found on coolant do's and don't's, but one thing seems to be certain. Mixing Dex-cool with any other non Dex-cool coolant is very bad. It might simply be that the people that ended up with clogged cooling systems after using Dex-cool didn't fully flush their system first. However, that doesn't seem to be the conclusion that most of the reports I have seen end up with.

In any case, my feeling is why take the chance? If your car was not designed to use Dex-cool, then why use it? Even if you don't want to spend the extra few dollars every couple of years to use the BMW stuff, there is plenty of quality coolant out there that can be used other than Dex-cool.

I know that really doesn't answer your question, Michael, at least conclusively. That seems to be the case with a lot of the discussions about the proper fluids to use for our cars.

****_Schneiders
    2, 1991 525iA's

Kenny

Yes | No

Any quaity phosphate free coolant will do...

I been using non-BMW coolant since my car has been new, it has 166k miles now...

I replaced the water pump once at 70k miles as preventive maintenance.. That one prematurely leaked at 85k miles replaced it again.. and I recently replaced it once again at 152k miles..

Registered Member

Yes | No

Here is one link to the class action suit

http://www.cwcd.com/CM/MassTorts/MassTorts5.aspDick_Schneiders
    2, 1991 525iA's

Phil

Yes | No

Zerex G-05

OEM coolant equivalent for MB. ~$10 a gallon.

Scott Mc '95 540i 6spd 180K
    Member No: Scott Mc  '95 540i 6spd 180K's Avatar

Yes | No

my advice...Why chance it? not many more $$$...

also 10% BMW discount at most dealers will reduce even more...What??Not a member? Get you some of that!!!

Registered Member
    Member No: 65451 jeffo is an unknown quantity at this point jeffo's Avatar

Yes | No

I have run Havoline Dex-cool without incident...

for several years in an M20, 325is. I used it due a Suburban, and not wanting to buy two brands. I think if you flush the system good, and maintain your antifreeze (don't try to get 5 years from it) you will probably have no problems. I also only mix with distilled water. That being said I will stay with major brand green stuff in the 525i.

Jeff
    94 525i
    87 325is

Registered Member

Yes | No

No doubt many people have used it without a

problem, or they wouldn't even be able to keep it on the market. However, based on the words of the class action suit, and other reports from mechanics, there also have to be a lot of people with major problems from using Dexcool.

I simply would not consider taking that chance and feel that everybody needs to know that there is some risk with using it.

****_Schneiders
    2, 1991 525iA's

Registered Member
    Member No: 78269 claudio512 is an unknown quantity at this point claudio512's Avatar

Yes | No

Use Zerex G-05 mixed with distilled water...

this coolant is silicate and phosphate free, which is same as BMW coolant.

lee

Yes | No

BMW coolant is NOT Zerex G-05...

In the U.S., BMW coolant (blue stuff) is Vavoline Zerex G48:

https://www.valvoline-technology.com/data/VALV/ValvExtSecurity.nsf/fsZerex?OpenFrameSet

new540iowner

Yes | No

Other than stealer, where can you buy G-48?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information