+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    BigBimmer

Yes | No

This is rare, but it makes forum headlines

The forums do not have a conclusive opinion on the cause. If you want to be totally safe, replace your water pump, fan clutch, and fan.

DanlP

Yes | No

Fan clutch failure ==> exploding fan

Yeah, what you just experienced is not exactly new. The clutch freezes, the fan over-RPMs, and "bang"!.
    My little trip down this lane was dramatic - morning rush hour, entering the packed San Deigo freeway at near full throttle, then ~~~ "B A N G " !!! ~~~ and the hood lifted up from the explosion. Unfortunately, a piece of the exploded fan nestled under the wide-open throttle, so the car was trapped in full accelleration with cares all around on every side. Luckly, an exit ramp was near and i got off without crashing into anyone --- but then had the thrill of trying to halt a full throttle car as the end of the exit ramp loomed. Filed an NHTSA report, and maybe that is why BMWNA was so cooperatibe and customer oriented --- fixed everything with no out of pocket to me, not even sub. tranbsportation. Actually, pretty impressive response.

I doubt this is a fault you can inspect away". The fan clutch is fine, then it freezes. How are you going to predict that?

I have to admit that, like you, my experience with this 7-series has been very expensive. Getting so that it would be easier to list what has NOT been replaced than what is still working. My last 7-series (6-cyl) ran for 320,000 miles before the head was even off. Sold it at 345,000 ... absolutely pristine, near-show condition. Sometimes regret that .... The E38 seems to have a lot of corners cut in the design.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information