+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 716 steve is an unknown quantity at this point steve's Avatar

Yes | No

Overpayment scams

This is an oldie, but sadly people are still falling for it. Beware of the following:

<b>1. Distant buyer offers a high-value (but fake) cashier's check in exchange for your item</b>

You receive an odd email offering to buy your item site unseen. Buyer may claim that he or she is representing a client in another country and is serving as a broker.

Cashier's check is offered for your sale item, as a deposit for whatever you're selling. The value of the payment often far exceeds your item - buyer asks you to wire the balance via money transfer service.

Many banks will often cash these fake checks AND HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE WHEN THE CHECK BOUNCES. Scam often involves a 3rd party (shipping agent, business associate owing buyer money, etc)

<b>2. Distant seller requests payment via Western Union or MoneyGram:</b>
    <ul type="disc">
    <li>Seller often claims that an MTCN or confirmation code is needed before he can withdraw your money - this is FALSE, once you've wired money, it is GONE.</li>
    <li>Common items include: cars, motorcycles, laptops, etc - but it could be almost anything</li>
    <li>Common countries currently include: Nigeria, Romania, Ukraine, Spain, UK, Italy, Netherlands - but could be from anywhere</li>
    <li>In general, the deal often will seem too good to be true</li>
    </ul>

<b>3. Seller offers to send you a cashier's check and then have you wire money.</b>
    <ul type="disc">
    <li>This is ALWAYS a scam - the cashier's check is FAKE and sometimes accompanies an offer of merchandise, sometimes not </li>
    <li>Scammer often asks for your name, address, etc for printing on the fake check</li>
    <li>Deal will seem too good to be true</li>
    </ul>

<b>4. Distant seller suggests use of an online escrow service.</b>
    <ul type="disc">
    <li>Most online escrow sites are FRAUDULENT, operated by scammers</li>
    <li>For more info, do a web search on "fake escrow" or "escrow fraud"</li>
    <li>See our <a href="http://forums.roadfly.org/alerts/5801428-1.html" target="_new">Welcome Post here</a> - it has more info about fake escrow services</li>
    <li>If you must do business with a distant seller, insist on a legitimate service, such as www.escrow.com</li>
    </ul>

<b>5. Distant seller asks for a partial payment upfront, after which he will ship goods he says he trusts you with the partial payment</b>
    <ul type="disc">
    <li>He may say he has already shipped the goods</li>
    <li>Deal often sounds too good to be true</li>
    </ul>

Here's an example of a typical message from one of these scammers:

Initial Message:

"My name is Jackson Brian and I am an auto dealer in South africa. I am highly interested in purchasing your car. Please let me know if you can ship to South africa, if not I will arrange with one of my client's shipping agency. And also I will like to know the last price and more pics if available. Please let me hear from you ASAP so as to make this transaction very fast and the mode of payment will be made by check drawn from a US Bank. So please if that is okay with you, let me hear from you as soon as possible.
    Thanks. .
    Jackson"

After you reply, they will write back with something like this:

"Thanks for the mail. In respect of payment I have a client in the U.S who is owing me $5,450. All I need to do to make payment easier and faster is to instruct him to procure a check and mail it to you on the address and name you want on the check.

But I would want to know if I can trust you to send my balance to me via western union money transfer after the money must have clear in your bank to enable me to pay the shipping company here so that they can nstruct their office in the U.S to come and pick up the vehicle*from your location they've always been doing my*shipments for me. Please mail me asap to enable me arrange payment. Furnish me with your full*name, address and contact telephone number and code# so*that I can forward it to my client for payment.

Hope to hear from you soonest.

Regards,
    Jackson"

They may even include a phone number in an attempt to appear more legitimate, and the phone number may work, but 99.99999% of the time, this is going to be a scam that leaves you owing money to your bank.

Registered Member
    Member No: 716 steve is an unknown quantity at this point steve's Avatar

Yes | No

Another overpayment scam example

We were given this e-mail by a Roadfly'er who was trying to sell his car. Please be aware that this is a scam. Attached is a follow-up message from the scammer to the seller.

-------------- Original message --------------

Hello Mr. (edited by Roadfly to protect identity),

Good to hear from you and thanks for the mail,my client who said he's interested in your vehicle has promised to be buying it and will be issuing a certified cashier's cheque of $32,500 and you deduct the amount of your vehicle which is $24,000 after which you will send the difference $8,500 via Money Gram money transfer to my P.A here in Europe to settle our shipper to book us for their cargo and also pay for the insurance, she would be comming over to your place to pick the vehicle up and get it transported to the Europe and also to sign all require documents.

To bring to your attention,It only takes (24HRS) for a certified cashier's cheque to get cash in the US,so I will like you to get the cheque cashed the same day it's presented on the counter and I will also like to know if I can count on you to send the difference of the money to my P.A as soon as the cheque get to you and verified.To make things fast and convenient for the both of us,I will like you to give me the exact name you want on the check.....Your mailing address....(Street,City,State and zip code) and your Phone # so I can forward it to my associate,so he could start with the procurement of the cheque and won't mind to engage in a long lasting bussiness relationship.

Thanks and hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regard,

Madida

Registered Member
    Member No: 87664 lisacutie77 is an unknown quantity at this point lisacutie77's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Overpayment scams

HEY, that sounds all too familiar. I got scammed from some prick bastard from africa, He sent a check for 1800$ more than the asking price and the shipping. Lucky for me my bank said to deposit the money first so they can check with the Federal Reserve to see if the other bank was real. It wasn't. I didn't ship my car and didn't lose any money, thank God for the bank. Of course i forwarded all the info to the bank about the fraudulent deal. Watch out for yourself!!!

David B Earl

Yes | No

Re: Another overpayment scam example

SunTrust Bank robbs Father after son robbs him

last jan i left the country to Marrie my girfriend and my son took my card that had my id pen for i am disabled and ran up charges that there was no money in the bank to cover, I reported to police when i returned and found out. and the bank charged me outragus fees. i had no money for months from ssi disaility for the bank kept all the SSI $ sent to that account and charged me for not haveing money in the bank because they took to cover his theifts. I was told if i prosicuted him i would not be liable, but nothing ever happen. I am dicusted with Suntrust to cause such outrageuos harm to me that had allready been a vicim of crime the bank robbed me of as much money and more as my son spent when there was no money in the bank over a 1,000 more dollars . when i went to the bank at one occation the woman there smiled at me like the whole thing was funny. Well i diid not think so. i can not help that my child was such a thief but to spend what i do not have i the bank there was only $50.00 in that account at the time. i can not understand. and to keep charging me and takeing $ that is what i did not have. they kept my disabilty $ and my sons for months while i had noything to pay my bills with or money to buy anything to eat. and i keep them imformed of this. i have not recovered from this time to now. the police could not find my son for 6 months till i found him and has done nothing to him. The secutary at the bank said to me many times if i procicute, my money will be refunded. This has not happened . I think your bank is a bigger theif than my son. i have all the papers from this ordeal and will be pupishing to the wen under search of your banks name. Suntrust. I am disaabled an live on very little and you ppl did not care or work with me in any way. I almost ended up homeless and did not have a decent meal for months, i lived on peanut butter and cream of wheat. Damm you ppl you are not human at Suntrust, i have yet to recover finacially from this.

David B Earl

[email protected]

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information